Notices

A couple ?'s

Old 02-23-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
Muliefever
muliefever has a spectacular aura aboutmuliefever has a spectacular aura about
Coast Guard: First Class Petty Officer
muliefever's Tacoma Gallery
A couple ?'s

So I have the readylift on right now. Not to bad.. But I think I would like to upgrade to 5100's up front and some OME coils. My question is this.. If I set the billy's at the lowest level, what coils should I get? The 885's or 886's? I want to best ride I can get and I would like to get at least 2" out of it..Between 2-2.5" would be great! I am also going to add a AAL out back. I already have the rear TSB, but as my truck sits right now, I think it is a little low. What do you think? Should I go with the toytec AAL made for the TSB? I guess my topper weighs the back down a little..

Old 02-23-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
Get the 885 coils unless you plan on adding weight to the front, bumpers / wenches etc...I would alos put the rear TSB AAL from toytec in..
Old 02-23-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
Muliefever
Do you have the 885 coils?
Old 02-23-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
I sure do. If you go that route, i recommend getting new UCA's also. My coils rub on the UCA's at full droop. You will also want the alignment back to spec
Old 02-24-2009, 06:56 AM   #5
Muliefever
Really. Damn, i was not wanting to buy UCA's..
Old 02-24-2009, 05:09 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
X2 on the UCA's. OME rocks!
Old 02-24-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Do the lift and then save for UCAs... I rode 20k miles on stock UCAs and an 885 lift...
Old 02-24-2009, 06:50 PM   #8
SIX-1-NINE Motorsports has a spectacular aura aboutSIX-1-NINE Motorsports has a spectacular aura about

SIX-1-NINE Motorsports's Tacoma Gallery
I dont know about anyone else's thoughts on this kind of situation but here is my thought. Being that the 5100's are preload adjustable the O.E. coil springs are sufficient and will offer the best possible ride quality. Toyota has spend millions in R&D developing their coil springs to be progressive and rated for the weight of the specific models. Setting the preload ring at the 2" setting will lift the truck while saving the added money you would spend on OME springs. Just my thoughts...
Old 02-24-2009, 07:03 PM   #9
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIX-1-NINE Motorsports View Post
I dont know about anyone else's thoughts on this kind of situation but here is my thought. Being that the 5100's are preload adjustable the O.E. coil springs are sufficient and will offer the best possible ride quality. Toyota has spend millions in R&D developing their coil springs to be progressive and rated for the weight of the specific models. Setting the preload ring at the 2" setting will lift the truck while saving the added money you would spend on OME springs. Just my thoughts...
Hey, Jon. Some things to consider. The OEM Toyota spring has a 540# rate. As you add preload to the spring, you are increaseing its spring rate. The Bilstiens have adjustments from a stock setting on up to 2.5". When set at a 2.5" setting, the spring is compressed and in less of a space, to acheive the lift. The OME springs are a 590# spring rate, and they are Longer than stock springs. SO, in the same space of the stock spring, you get more lift, with only a slight increase in spring rate, giveing a better ride.
Also, IMHO, Progressive springs arent that good off road. A straight rate spring is prefered. Look at all the big name coilover makers. They all use a standard rate spring, as does OME, as opposed to a "Progresive rate".
Old 02-24-2009, 07:11 PM   #10
SIX-1-NINE Motorsports has a spectacular aura aboutSIX-1-NINE Motorsports has a spectacular aura about

Thats why I like you Chris! I agree with you 100% So what is the spring rating of the original coil springs? I believe they differ from model to model correct? I was just thinking that in this situation for best ride results you wouldn't want to increase spring rate with a new coil but yet preload the original to achieve lift? Also it saves money- but this is why forums are cool, you get allot of information and opions! Good to hear from you Chris!!!
Old 02-24-2009, 07:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Thats why I like you Chris! I agree with you 100% So what is the spring rating of the original coil springs? I believe they differ from model to model correct? I was just thinking that in this situation for best ride results you wouldn't want to increase spring rate with a new coil but yet preload the original to achieve lift? Also it saves money- but this is why forums are cool, you get allot of information and opions! Good to hear from you Chris!!!
Thanks, Buddy.
Stock spring rate on the 4x4/Prerunner is 540#/in.
Pre loading the spring doeas in fact increase the spring rate of the spring being compressed. Most coilovers are 650# with the exception being the Eibach coils on the Bilstien CO's. They are a 600# rate. OME 884's and 885's are 590#, but the 885's are longer. The OME 886's are a 650# rate with a little thinker winds, and the same length as the 885's.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #12

I would be interested to see what the spring rate is after 2" of preload on a set of stock 540LB springs? I think there is an equation that can find that out but I dont know it...
Old 02-25-2009, 04:11 AM   #13

Quote:
I would be interested to see what the spring rate is after 2" of preload on a set of stock 540LB springs? I think there is an equation that can find that out but I dont know it...
I remember someone doing this a while back and it was near 700# or something like that.