Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

ToyTec ultimate lift kit installed today

Old 06-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
uncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Arty
uncleART's Tacoma Gallery
ToyTec ultimate lift kit installed today

I installed my ToyTec ULK, LR UCAs, and Dakars today. I pulled the truck into the driveway at noon (got home @ 5am from my night shift). And it took me about 9 hours to do it, not including a run to the store to pick up a 32mm socket for the new ball joints & a meal break. It was all very easy, just a lot to do.

For the LR UCAs, I just cut the old bolts and put new ones in ($12 ea). Removing them this way was incredibly easy (cutting wheel), I had each bolt out in about a minute with no effort. I highly recommend this method.

I still need to adjust the bilsteins another inch to get my full 3" of lift. It looks like I got a 2 1/2" lift from the Dakars.

My kit came with 3* axle shims, but they were wrong. The hole was too small for the center pins & the pins were too short anyway. So I skipped them.

This just not gonna work! *** EDIT*** What I should have done was clamp and remove the center pin. Then reinstall it through the shim.

Dakar next to the stock Sport spring

I took a test drive at various speeds and didn't notice any driveline vibes - I don't think. (I might have a tiny one around 38mph, but I'm not sure - time will tell).
Old 06-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
thelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant future
Coast Guard: Marine Science Tech
Name: paul
thelivestone's Tacoma Gallery
good job on the install. truck looks pretty awesome man. get you some biggger rubber on there and it will be done!
Old 06-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Was the threaded part of the center pin too large to fit?
Old 06-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
uncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaDan View Post
Was the threaded part of the center pin too large to fit?
No. It would have worked. Fail on my part. I didn't know I needed to clamp the springs and remove the center pin then reinstall through the shim. The problem that I have now is if I decide to put the shim in, the center pin will be too short. I cut off the long threads so my stock bump stop would fit. Haha. So should i need to install, I'll need to buy new pins. Not a big deal - they're only about $7.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelivestone View Post
good job on the install. truck looks pretty awesome man. get you some biggger rubber on there and it will be done!
Thank you.
I had fun. It was a lot of work. Motorsport Technology is swamped and my Bora wheel spacers are about another week out. Then I can get my 285s!
Old 06-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #7

The alignment went really well. The tech was very accommodating with my info & instructions on the LR UCAs. I set them at -1 and rolled the LCAs forward. I got 2* of caster and 3" of clearance behind the tires.

Here's a final pic as it is now.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #8

Lift results:

Front
coil-overs adjusted for 3" lift
Hub center - wheel well 23"

Rear
Dakar leafs gave about 2 1/2" lift
Hub center - wheel well 24 1/2"

Frame clearance measured on alignment rack @ cab & bed mounts
Front: 17"
Rear: 17 1/2"

This gives me 1/2" of rake based on the truck frame.

It seems a lot of people level their trucks based on wheel well measurements only. When I was taking my baseline measurements, I found that if I made my hub to well dimensions the same (front to back), I would have 1" of reverse rake (I have a dclb). I also noticed this in a lot of pictures here on TW, of "level" trucks - the front end looked a little high. I know some really like the front end higher, but I don't. I don't care for the bro-lean look. This is part of the reason that I chose the ToyTec setup - it gave me full convenient control over my front height (it's my picky nature).

So anyway, I'm happy. I got it where I wanted it!
Old 06-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #9
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Lookin' good!
Old 06-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #11
Asianguywithatruk is on a distinguished road
Asianguywithatruk's Tacoma Gallery
Looking good man. I have a question about how you cut the bolt for the UCA. I read many post about how others have done this but I was wondering if you loosen it all the way out then cut it? I know stupid question lol. Then how do you put the new one in? Same way the old on came out? Or from the back? I like how you measure from the frame. Sometime when I look at my truck, it looks like I have a bro lean.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asianguywithatruk View Post
Looking good man. I have a question about how you cut the bolt for the UCA. I read many post about how others have done this but I was wondering if you loosen it all the way out then cut it? I know stupid question lol. Then how do you put the new one in? Same way the old on came out? Or from the back? I like how you measure from the frame. Sometime when I look at my truck, it looks like I have a bro lean.
Thanks. For the UCAS bolt, I considered bending my wheel well like most people do. But my bolt heads were mostly inside the wells! A lot of bending. So I just got new ones. They were cheap.

I removed the nut completely. Slid the bolt up as far as it would go ( about an inch). Then I used my small grinder with a cutting wheel. I made sure to have a good grip on it so as to have total control. I only wanted to cut the bolt! Haha Then I used a file to knock off the burr and slid them back out of the UCAs.

Now on the drivers side, I had to remove two small bolts retaining the brake lines at the top rear of the well. Then I pushed half of them towards the engine. As I was pulling the bolt out I also moved the forward leg of the uca towards the engine, helping the removal angle if the bolt. This was all very easy.

The passenger side was even easier. I just had to put slight pressure towards the engine on a coil of brake tube with my thumb. Bolt slid right out.

Then the new ones went in from the back, like how the old ones came out. It was all super fast & easy.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #13
SSG665 has a spectacular aura aboutSSG665 has a spectacular aura aboutSSG665 has a spectacular aura about
SSG665's Tacoma Gallery
Tires installed yet?
Old 06-22-2013, 06:43 AM   #15
SSG665 has a spectacular aura aboutSSG665 has a spectacular aura aboutSSG665 has a spectacular aura about
SSG665's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleART View Post
Wow!!!That looks great.Im trying to hold out for the Gen 3 but seeing yours makes it hard.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #17
2012SilverSport is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: NAVENG Warrant Officer
2012SilverSport's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great!!! how is the ride with the ULK adjusted to 3". I have heard it can be really rough and causes too much pre-load on the springs.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012SilverSport View Post
Looks great!!! how is the ride with the ULK adjusted to 3". I have heard it can be really rough and causes too much pre-load on the springs.
Thanks. It's only a little stiffer than the stock Sport ride. It's not bad even with the Load Range D Duratracs. I wouldn't call it a rough ride, but it certainately is not an Icon suspension. In spite of this, it's still more comfortable than my Corolla. Ha.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #19
2012SilverSport is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: NAVENG Warrant Officer
2012SilverSport's Tacoma Gallery
LOL, thanks brother.