Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Want .5" to 1" more rear lift, options? Shackles?

Old 06-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
Want .5" to 1" more rear lift, options? Shackles?

I recently added:
eibach coils with 5100's up front
OME leaf pack w/ 5125's

Got just over 3" up front and right at 2.25" rear lift.

I'm wanting about .5" more in the rear to have the tiniest rake from back to front. I want to add an AAL eventually but not just yet. want to see what the height is like after bigger tires (33's)

I was thinking longer shackles??? Im using stock shackles at the moment.

What are my shackle lift options? Can I get .5" (1" max ) with new shacks?

I've done research but want to hear from people that have experience or know about this type of lift.

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
I have 1" lift shackles with my OME leaf pack and I like them. I'm not sure about any shackles that give just .5" of lift
Old 06-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmok View Post
I have 1" lift shackles with my OME leaf pack and I like them. I'm not sure about any shackles that give just .5" of lift
That's what I was wondering. I don't think there are 1/2 inch shackle lifts. 1" would be fine for me. I'm guessing you put the longer shackles in when you installed your new leaf packs.

Wonder how difficult it would be to replace old shackles for longer shackles?
Seems like it would be as simple as unbolt and replace, but is anything ever that easy
Old 06-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainmoe02 View Post
That's what I was wondering. I don't think there are 1/2 inch shackle lifts. 1" would be fine for me. I'm guessing you put the longer shackles in when you installed your new leaf packs.

Seems like it would be as simple as unbolt and replace, but is anything ever that easy
replacing shackles is easy, a ratchet and a wrench is all you need.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
replacing shackles is easy, a ratchet and a wrench is all you need.
Nice!

Would I just have to unbolt on the shackle end?
Or would I have to unbolt main eye, U-bolts, etc...?
Old 06-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #6
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I installed the shackles months after I initially installed the lift. Corrosion from winters of road salt made it more difficult to do but it wasn't too bad. A ratchet and wrench, as 95 taco said, is really about all that is needed. I would recommend using a hammer or something to pound out the old shackles.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
Plastidipped ma Hootus!

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nice!

Would I just have to unbolt on the shackle end?
Or would I have to unbolt main eye, U-bolts, etc...?
Just the shackle end. Make sure everything is secured though. Put jack stands under rear axle and under the frame of the truck
Old 06-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

You could easily get someone to make a set custom for 1/2" of lift.

In reality the only thing they would need to do is take a longer shackle, cut it down, drill a hole, and grind it smooth.

I ordered mine at 6" so I can cut them down as need be for my truck... now just waiting for them to arrive one day
Old 06-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #9
ToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ToyoTaco02's Tacoma Gallery
All pro makes a 1.5" longer shackle that will give you .75" more lift.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #10
jermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to behold

Royal Canadian Air Force: aerospace control operator
Name: jeremy
jermoids's Tacoma Gallery
would changing shackles be a better option then blocks for 1" of lift?
Old 06-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #11
Fitz
kjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kjf216's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
You could easily get someone to make a set custom for 1/2" of lift.

In reality the only thing they would need to do is take a longer shackle, cut it down, drill a hole, and grind it smooth.

I ordered mine at 6" so I can cut them down as need be for my truck... now just waiting for them to arrive one day
sorry to hijack this thread but dyob don't you have a more pressing issue with said truck....to everyone else i was never here
Old 06-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #12
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermoids View Post
absolutely, a lift shackle is like a drop bracket lift for the rear, it just moves the mounting point for the suspension.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #13
jermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to behold

Royal Canadian Air Force: aerospace control operator
Name: jeremy
jermoids's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
absolutely, a lift shackle is like a drop bracket lift for the rear, it just moves the mounting point for the suspension.
interesting, and thank you. wonder why more people don't recommend this option when people are wanting to use blocks or aal's for small lifts? sounds like a pretty basic way to get 1" in the rear.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #14
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
interesting, and thank you. wonder why more people don't recommend this option when people are wanting to use blocks or aal's for small lifts? sounds like a pretty basic way to get 1" in the rear.
oh crap, you're a 2nd gen, didn't see that on my phone.
2nd gens have to do a shackle flip, that messes with the shackle angle, which messes with travel.

i'll let someone who knows more about shackle flips chime in.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:07 AM   #15
Plastidipped ma Hootus!

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyoTaco02 View Post
This is probably the closest you'll get without custom shackles made.
Quote:
Yes they would (for 1st gens)
Quote:
I would disagree with that. Blocks are more of a drop bracket lift for the rear imo. If you don't go crazy with the amount of lift from the shackles you will have no problems. Also people tend to have more problems using shackle lifts up front (not stock Tacomas obviously). I would keep it below 1-1.5" of lift. You also gain more suspension droop with longer shackles.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyoTaco02 View Post
Perfect, just what I'm wanting. I'm gonna place an order. Thanks for the help!

Yeah I def don't want blocks under my new leaf springs.

If someone can give me a better idea to get a MAX of 1" rear lift then chime in please.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:22 AM   #17
BlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud of
Navy: EM1 Coastal Warfare
BlackSportD's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BlackSportD
OP, a little OT, what do you think of your 5125s? I hate mine, I'm almost convinced they are factory flaws and the valving was done wrong. Found this thread cause I'm looking up shackles for a moderate lift myself.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #18
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Get a custom axle shim to correct for the lift induced drive shaft angle change that is .5" thick. Problem solved.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #19

i like the 5125s, much better ride than before, but i came from shocks that were bottoming out or bumpstoped. I got the 5125s because i want to get a full 3" in the rear and want the option to do an AAL soon. all in all i may be close to 3.5"- 4" rear lift once i add the shackles and AAL. 5125s are recomended for lifts above 3" so there is enough travel. Do yours feel stiff? maybe some height with the shackles will change that? ive heard people say they are stiff, but thats mainly from those who added 1.5" lift to the rear, which they should have gotten the 5100 extended lengths.

I was thinking a shim but have never used them. will they cause any axlewrap? that was my main concern.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #20
BlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud of
Navy: EM1 Coastal Warfare
BlackSportD's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BlackSportD
My 5125s would do great in a truck that carried a load, but hauling air, its bone aching harsh and allows way too much rebound. If I had a 1.5+ lift, I would have stuck with 5100 all around but DSM recommended the 5125s for my OE height (didn't want to lift yet, my dog is getting real old and its hard on her to jump down- its gotten to were I use a jacket lift thing to get her in).

In hindsight I shouldn't have gotten shocks at all I suppose, and just held out for when I was ready for a lift, or gotten the 5100s in the rear with the warning that they may not fair well if bottomed out.

Maybe the longer 5125s come with different valving as its obvious its not going on a work truck, or maybe the lift puts them in a different valving region, I don't know, but I soooo wish I had the tools on hand to take them off, pop them open and change out the valving to pretty much reverse where they are at now- drastically reduce compression resistance, and increase rebound resistance. But again, if I were carrying a good few hundred plus lbs in the back all the time, the valving would probably make the load feel very controlled.

I've got a bud built traction bar on the way, so axle wrap can lick my a**, it isn't going to happen any more (my truck has chronic axle wrap). So now I'm doing preemptive research into an affordable rear lift, not worried about axle wrap. Looking at:
- OMD leaf spring job-- probably the best option, but pricey compared to the bellow options, and again, axle wrap is no longer a concern.
- shackles
- spacers