1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Baja Vs Pro Comp

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by ribby95, Jun 5, 2013.

?

Baja TX vs Pro Comp

1. Baja TX

82.2%
  2. Pro Comp (6"suspension lift, 17" alloy wheels, 33"tires,custom grille, side step bars)

17.8%
  1. Jun 5, 2013 at 8:31 AM
    ribby95

ribby95 [OP] Member

Member:
    Baja Edition
    These are my two choices on a 2013 Tacoma 4x4

Option 1:
    Baja TX Package

Option 2:
    Pro Comp Dealer Package
    -6" Pro Comp suspension Lift
    -17" Pro Comp Alloy Wheels
    -33" Pro Comp tires A/T
    -Custom Grille
    -Side Step Bars

Which would you chose and why? This truck will be used as a DD, and for some fun in the sand/mud/trails. It will also sometimes haul an atv or dirtbikes.

Worries - with the Baja I get a catback exhaust and skidplate along with better shocks that are tuned.
    The pro comp package is going to be about $1,000 more than the Baja if I decide to go with that.

2. Jun 5, 2013 at 8:38 AM
    Jerez

Jerez SoCal LED Dash Swap

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Diamond Bar/Ontario, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 2wd converted to 4wd
    Estock
    Why a 6 in procomp lift? Just out of curiosity

3. Jun 5, 2013 at 8:42 AM
    ribby95

ribby95 [OP] Member

Member:
    Baja Edition
    That's just what the Dealer Puts on, they send the truck down to Indianapolis, where an off road company installs it. Other than that I don't know. I just want a factory/dealer truck capable of more than just a stock 4x4

4. Jun 5, 2013 at 8:54 AM
    Jerez

Jerez SoCal LED Dash Swap

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Diamond Bar/Ontario, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 2wd converted to 4wd
    Estock
    If those are the only 2 options I'd go for the Baja...
    But you just add a nice lift for cheaper with just buying it stock and you do it all :thumbsup:

5. Jun 5, 2013 at 8:54 AM
    09tacorunner

09tacorunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Duke City
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner TRD OffRoad
    I would go with the baja tacoma, a 6 inch is a pavement pounder to some folks due to the low hanging front drop bracket crossmember. buy the baja (if your set on that) and buy a new suspension setup that fits your needs. a 6 inch can get hung up on rocks and other terrain. a 3 inch is more practical due to the fact it would have more ground clearance than the 6.

EDIT/ you said you will some times haul your atv/dirtbike, unless you get a custom leaf pack for the 6 inch lift it would ride like crap since the pro comp 6 inch lift will most likely sit on blocks under the already shitty factory leaf springs.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  6. Jun 5, 2013 at 9:02 AM
    ribby95

ribby95 [OP] Member

Member:
    Baja Edition
    Yea that's what I was thinking. I didn't want to jump on the 6in lift without getting some opinions. You can only jack something up so how before you have to build the rest up. I'm not super mechanically inclined, more electrical, but I like to tinker. This truck would eventually become more into a project for extreme off-roading etc. Thanks for your input. If you guys have anymore advice before I run off and spend money I would greatly appreciate it.

7. Jun 5, 2013 at 9:09 AM
    ribby95

ribby95 [OP] Member

Member:
    Baja Edition
    Yeah, it seems like its a hit and a miss, personally id rather have the Baja then eventually find maybe some fox shocks to install on it after warranty up

8. Jun 5, 2013 at 9:11 AM
    ribby95

ribby95 [OP] Member

Member:
    Baja Edition
    The one im looking at is a black 2013 double cab Baja. Only problem is it doesn't have a towing package or ntune, but I could have a towing package installed and install a lot better sound equipment its running around $35k

9. Jun 5, 2013 at 10:46 AM
    ribby95

ribby95 [OP] Member

Member:
    Baja Edition
    hey guys, idk if i can still get my hands on that baja looks like they might have it on reserve... if you guys could give me more input on this lift kit package i would greatly appreciate it. I think it may come with new shocks and leafs, i'm in the process of talking to the dealer to find out exact components. Heres the link to the exact same pro comp package on a tundra though

http://teamtoyotaon41.com/2013-Toyota-Tundra-Schererville-IN/vd/12126323

if you guys could check it out and see if its a complete package, or a just a quick cheap lift, i would greatly appreciate it. Ill try and update with exact specs on it this afternoon
    Thanks again for everyone's help. Im a newbie in the mechanical department.

10. Jun 5, 2013 at 11:49 AM
    alegav

alegav TeamBlue

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD T|X Baja
    Pelfreybilt IFS Skid, Mid Skid and Plate Bumper, Rigid Industries Dually's, ARB CKMA12 On Board Air, Kenwood TM-281A Radio, Rear view mirror relocation bracket, Wheelers SuperBumps, Toytec Baja Spacer
    I think that most people on here would go with a 3" coil over setup up front, Fox, King or Icon seem to be the favorites. and then a leaf pack in the rear to level it out Might want/need aftermarket UCA's also.

11. Jun 5, 2013 at 8:42 PM
    ribby95

ribby95 [OP] Member

Member:
    Baja Edition
    So this is what i found out today. One of the local dealers sold the baja out from underneath me, was raging for awhile but no biggy, i figured i build it myself then over time.
    The pro comp package uses blocks in the back and add a leaf, along with a lower bar in front and pro comp ES9000 series shocks about 12in of travel. Talked to a local guy today who has the exact same setup and drives it as a dd, and uses to go up to the Badlands, in Indiana. He said as far as carrying an atv in the back or a dirtbike or two is no biggy. It sags alittle like any other truck under a heavy load. He also said as far as the ride with a load, it is still smoother then say a stock f150. Overall the setup is pretty solid. I know its not a super offroad capable setup, but its a start. I dont think it would be a good idea to take a $30,000 truck with factory warrantys and take a chance of destroying it right away. Although many people are saying have another suspension kit installed, i think im going to stay with the pro comp. Pro comp is the only one who came through and said they would keep factory warranty with the set up if installed by a professional who would also warranty the install. Its hard to find a dealership that will give you permission to buy aftermarket parts and keep all 100% of the warranty. What do you guys think? After the warranty is up, i plan on putting some higher end parts into it for more of a toy then a DD. Any input is still welcomed, i appreciate all the advice!

12. Jun 5, 2013 at 9:02 PM
    06sr5prerunner

06sr5prerunner DILIGAF

Member:
    First Name:
    luis
    midland tx
    Vehicle:
    2006 sr5 prerunner
    bhlm paint wheels duplicolor plasti dip white grill. billies 5100. bf goodrich at 285's 75 16 black valence led corner lights expedition bed rack by anb fabrication spidertrax wheel spacers rotopax fuel tanks 4gal mounted on bed rack quickfist mounts for shovel. ddm hid kit 35watt 6000k hi/low beam
    good salesman hu?? lol

13. Jun 5, 2013 at 9:24 PM
    ribby95

ribby95 [OP] Member

Member:
    Baja Edition
    yea im dealing with another dealer on the pro comp the baja was at different one haha.. almost all dealers are jack wagons...

yeah jay, sounds like good odds to me, you go offroading at all? or just have it more for looks?

14. Jun 5, 2013 at 9:59 PM
    ribby95

ribby95 [OP] Member

Member:
    Baja Edition
    Some really sweet trucks, one thing i hate though and thats chrome rims on a jacked up 4x4! it just erks me the wrong way. It just screams city boy plz go back to your minivan

15. Jun 7, 2013 at 10:07 AM
    Box Rocket

Box Rocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    3xLocked, lifted, well used
    meh. No way I'd do the 6" drop bracket lift. Makes me even more impressed that our local dealer offers the full OME suspension as a factory installed option.

16. Jun 8, 2013 at 7:09 PM
    wolverine768

wolverine768 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Baja in White
    Get the BAJA if you want to keep it simple. You want to cook your own go with the pro comp. Mileage will probably be a lot worse with 33" and maybe sluggish. I got the baja and its great(obviously biased). As a daily driver, who needs the potential headaches of aftermarket suspension. I was all set to do trd offroad with a set of icons and then someone mentioned rebuilding shocks. I thought about waiting while shocks got rebuilt and cost to do it, and having no truck to drive. granted its in like 30k miles, but what a headache. Not to mention all the potential problems modding. Loaded taco is running winch, plate bumper, skids, and sliders and he lost .25 in front. Sounds like easy decision to me. Thats why I made it. FYI you should be able to nail down a dc baja pro without entune and WITH tow for like $33500 and one w entune for $35,500. Check Cars.com and autotrader for best prices and then take that to your local dealer to bargain. And go at the end of the month! FYI nothing is going to be perfect, pick your most important feature. Mine was reliability!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  17. Jun 8, 2013 at 7:16 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    I get 17.4 mpg with 33's and not sluggish at all.

18. Jun 9, 2013 at 9:01 AM
    wolverine768

wolverine768 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Baja in White
    WOW thats pretty good! how much of that is hwy miles? Cause I am lucky to get 16 mpg. Did you regear?

19. Jun 9, 2013 at 2:48 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Fixed it for you. :cool: Seriously, the pre-modded trucks from dealers are a ripoff.

Better off buying a stock TRD Offroad, spend $2500 on the Icon stage 3T kit, and pay a local shop to install it all. You get better components than the Baja trim this way.

http://trdparts4u.toyotaofdallas.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=-9323

[​IMG]

20. Jun 10, 2013 at 10:39 AM
    stump jumper

stump jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    DO NOT pay $35k without tow pkg.. $34k is about right for one with tow pkg. and no tubes. I would say without the tow $33.5k.

Products Discussed in

To Top