Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Baja Vs Pro Comp

View Poll Results: Baja TX vs Pro Comp
Baja TX 60 82.19%
Pro Comp (6"suspension lift, 17" alloy wheels, 33"tires,custom grille, side step bars) 13 17.81%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
ribby95 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Enlisted
ribby95's Tacoma Gallery
Question Baja Vs Pro Comp

These are my two choices on a 2013 Tacoma 4x4

Option 1:
Baja TX Package

Option 2:
Pro Comp Dealer Package
-6" Pro Comp suspension Lift
-17" Pro Comp Alloy Wheels
-33" Pro Comp tires A/T
-Custom Grille
-Side Step Bars

Which would you chose and why? This truck will be used as a DD, and for some fun in the sand/mud/trails. It will also sometimes haul an atv or dirtbikes.

Worries - with the Baja I get a catback exhaust and skidplate along with better shocks that are tuned.
The pro comp package is going to be about $1,000 more than the Baja if I decide to go with that.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Why a 6 in procomp lift? Just out of curiosity
Old 06-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
ribby95's Tacoma Gallery
That's just what the Dealer Puts on, they send the truck down to Indianapolis, where an off road company installs it. Other than that I don't know. I just want a factory/dealer truck capable of more than just a stock 4x4
Old 06-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
If those are the only 2 options I'd go for the Baja...
But you just add a nice lift for cheaper with just buying it stock and you do it all
Old 06-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
Driving a tacoma is a lifestyle
09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all

Name: Jason
09tacorunner's Tacoma Gallery
I would go with the baja tacoma, a 6 inch is a pavement pounder to some folks due to the low hanging front drop bracket crossmember. buy the baja (if your set on that) and buy a new suspension setup that fits your needs. a 6 inch can get hung up on rocks and other terrain. a 3 inch is more practical due to the fact it would have more ground clearance than the 6.

EDIT/ you said you will some times haul your atv/dirtbike, unless you get a custom leaf pack for the 6 inch lift it would ride like crap since the pro comp 6 inch lift will most likely sit on blocks under the already shitty factory leaf springs.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
ribby95's Tacoma Gallery
Yea that's what I was thinking. I didn't want to jump on the 6in lift without getting some opinions. You can only jack something up so how before you have to build the rest up. I'm not super mechanically inclined, more electrical, but I like to tinker. This truck would eventually become more into a project for extreme off-roading etc. Thanks for your input. If you guys have anymore advice before I run off and spend money I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #7
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Either, the pro comp will get the most hate on here. Got check out the suspension forum for better results. Granted my pro comp lift might not have the best clearance, but it works fine. I can drive over a 5 gallon bucket without touching anything up front.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #8
ribby95's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, it seems like its a hit and a miss, personally id rather have the Baja then eventually find maybe some fox shocks to install on it after warranty up
Old 06-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Yea someone would snatch that Baja suspension real quick
Old 06-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
ribby95's Tacoma Gallery
The one im looking at is a black 2013 double cab Baja. Only problem is it doesn't have a towing package or ntune, but I could have a towing package installed and install a lot better sound equipment its running around $35k
Old 06-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #11
ribby95's Tacoma Gallery
hey guys, idk if i can still get my hands on that baja looks like they might have it on reserve... if you guys could give me more input on this lift kit package i would greatly appreciate it. I think it may come with new shocks and leafs, i'm in the process of talking to the dealer to find out exact components. Heres the link to the exact same pro comp package on a tundra though

http://teamtoyotaon41.com/2013-Toyot...IN/vd/12126323

if you guys could check it out and see if its a complete package, or a just a quick cheap lift, i would greatly appreciate it. Ill try and update with exact specs on it this afternoon
Thanks again for everyone's help. Im a newbie in the mechanical department.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #12
TeamBlue
alegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
alegav's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to alegav Send a message via Yahoo to alegav
I think that most people on here would go with a 3" coil over setup up front, Fox, King or Icon seem to be the favorites. and then a leaf pack in the rear to level it out Might want/need aftermarket UCA's also.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #13
ribby95's Tacoma Gallery
So this is what i found out today. One of the local dealers sold the baja out from underneath me, was raging for awhile but no biggy, i figured i build it myself then over time.
The pro comp package uses blocks in the back and add a leaf, along with a lower bar in front and pro comp ES9000 series shocks about 12in of travel. Talked to a local guy today who has the exact same setup and drives it as a dd, and uses to go up to the Badlands, in Indiana. He said as far as carrying an atv in the back or a dirtbike or two is no biggy. It sags alittle like any other truck under a heavy load. He also said as far as the ride with a load, it is still smoother then say a stock f150. Overall the setup is pretty solid. I know its not a super offroad capable setup, but its a start. I dont think it would be a good idea to take a $30,000 truck with factory warrantys and take a chance of destroying it right away. Although many people are saying have another suspension kit installed, i think im going to stay with the pro comp. Pro comp is the only one who came through and said they would keep factory warranty with the set up if installed by a professional who would also warranty the install. Its hard to find a dealership that will give you permission to buy aftermarket parts and keep all 100% of the warranty. What do you guys think? After the warranty is up, i plan on putting some higher end parts into it for more of a toy then a DD. Any input is still welcomed, i appreciate all the advice!
Old 06-05-2013, 09:56 PM   #14
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribby95 View Post
So this is what i found out today. One of the local dealers sold the baja out from underneath me, was raging for awhile but no biggy, i figured i build it myself then over time.
The pro comp package uses blocks in the back and add a leaf, along with a lower bar in front and pro comp ES9000 series shocks about 12in of travel. Talked to a local guy today who has the exact same setup and drives it as a dd, and uses to go up to the Badlands, in Indiana. He said as far as carrying an atv in the back or a dirtbike or two is no biggy. It sags alittle like any other truck under a heavy load. He also said as far as the ride with a load, it is still smoother then say a stock f150. Overall the setup is pretty solid. I know its not a super offroad capable setup, but its a start. I dont think it would be a good idea to take a $30,000 truck with factory warrantys and take a chance of destroying it right away. Although many people are saying have another suspension kit installed, i think im going to stay with the pro comp. Pro comp is the only one who came through and said they would keep factory warranty with the set up if installed by a professional who would also warranty the install. Its hard to find a dealership that will give you permission to buy aftermarket parts and keep all 100% of the warranty. What do you guys think? After the warranty is up, i plan on putting some higher end parts into it for more of a toy then a DD. Any input is still welcomed, i appreciate all the advice!
Like I said earlier, I have 160K miles on my 6" Pro Comp kit, same as you described, and have run 35" the whole time. No problems...
Old 06-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #16
ribby95's Tacoma Gallery
yea im dealing with another dealer on the pro comp the baja was at different one haha.. almost all dealers are jack wagons...

yeah jay, sounds like good odds to me, you go offroading at all? or just have it more for looks?
Old 06-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #17
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yea im dealing with another dealer on the pro comp the baja was at different one haha.. almost all dealers are jack wagons...

yeah jay, sounds like good odds to me, you go offroading at all? or just have it more for looks?
Yes. Check us out here:More info than you will ever need

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...-pictures.html
Old 06-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #18
ribby95's Tacoma Gallery
Some really sweet trucks, one thing i hate though and thats chrome rims on a jacked up 4x4! it just erks me the wrong way. It just screams city boy plz go back to your minivan
Old 06-06-2013, 12:02 AM   #19
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Some really sweet trucks, one thing i hate though and thats chrome rims on a jacked up 4x4! it just erks me the wrong way. It just screams city boy plz go back to your minivan
Haha yea. Some of those guys wheel their trucks hard for not having the "ideal" lift. Not many problems. You could upgrade to the fox or icon 6-7" coilovers with custom leaf pack/or all pro expos
Old 06-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #20
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
meh. No way I'd do the 6" drop bracket lift. Makes me even more impressed that our local dealer offers the full OME suspension as a factory installed option.