Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

All Pro Standard -> Dakars -> Expos?

Old 06-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
iJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of light
iJDub's Tacoma Gallery
All Pro Standard -> Dakars -> Expos?

So I will have a plate rear bumper and sometimes haul stuff (like my motorcycle)...but most of the time there's not much cargo in there.

Which leaf springs would best suit me? I want about a 3" lift to level out with the front. Don't want too harsh of a ride but want it to be able to handle my motorcycle when I do haul it...

What's my best bet? I'm afraid the Expos will sit too high (I think it's 4" when not weighed down)... Are the Dakars inbetween the 2?
Old 06-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't get expos unless you always have serious weight in the back end. For just a rear plate bumper, I'd probably just get the standard set.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
iJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of light
iJDub's Tacoma Gallery
when I throw my bike (~450 lbs) on the bike is it going to sag a lot?
Old 06-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
iJDub's Tacoma Gallery
Oh and I tow on occasion.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #6
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
When you weight it down, it will compress a bit... but I don't think it will too much.

My reasoning is that my truck is custom sprung for stock weight plus 200# in the bed at all times. Here is a picture of 1000# in the bed. The springs are slightly compressed, but not bad. The thing is, I need 200# in the bed or I won't flex as well as I could.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #7
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
I'd vote the dakars, but I am biased.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #8
iJDub's Tacoma Gallery
The Dakars do handle weight better than the standard all pros?
Old 06-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #9
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJDub View Post
Not sure, can't tell from experience. I've had quite a bit of weight and hauled a 4k lbs trailer a few times and there is hardly any sag.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #10
iJDub's Tacoma Gallery
And this is with the regular Dakars (without the AAL)?
Old 06-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #11
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
And this is with the regular Dakars (without the AAL)?
I didn't add an AAL to the Dakars if that's what you're asking.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #12
iJDub's Tacoma Gallery
It is, thanks. How's the flex? I think the Expos flex a bit better?

Sorry for the hundred questions, but it's coming down to one or the other and I want to make the right choice.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #13
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes
Old 06-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #14
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It is, thanks. How's the flex? I think the Expos flex a bit better?

Sorry for the hundred questions, but it's coming down to one or the other and I want to make the right choice.
I could stuff my tires if that's what you're asking, using the OME rear shocks of course.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #16
Skunkman is a jewel in the roughSkunkman is a jewel in the roughSkunkman is a jewel in the rough

Army:
Skunkman's Tacoma Gallery
The expo's would likely be way too much for you. I have over 3 " above stock with mine and that is with 700-800 pounds on them. Last week we loaded the bed with green hard maple firewood blocks,and the truck hardly squatted at all. Damn things are impressive.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #17
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
I would go with the Dakars over the other two. I think the other two are stiff. The Dakars actually flex real well yet the over loads are there when you need them. Just alot better design IMO and support all driving conditions better.

You plan on hitting bigger bumps at speed, perhaps the Standards are more suitable, but on road ride quality is a thumbs down for me.... too bouncy due to design and even the smallest of bumps are easily felt.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #19
iJDub's Tacoma Gallery
The regular Dakars settle in at about 3" lift right?