Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Getting ome 885 - should I get ome shocks or billstein 5100

Old 06-07-2013, 06:15 AM   #1
spencer00si has a spectacular aura aboutspencer00si has a spectacular aura about
spencer00si's Tacoma Gallery
Getting ome 885 - should I get ome shocks or billstein 5100

As the title states I am getting the ome 885 springs along with the rear aal.

If I get the complete ome kit from toytec with shipping it comes out to $814

If I get the billies from down south motorsports they are 310 free shipping, then get just the ome kit from toytec without the shocks for 310 plus $50 shipping it works out to $660

I know you have to keep the billies at zero, so is the ome shocks really worth the extra $150?

Thanks
Old 06-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #2
motionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
motionridr8's Tacoma Gallery
i just ordered 5100s and 885s. i couldn't justify spending the extra cash on OME struts. instead i put it towards light racing UCAs.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
GATACOMA is on a distinguished road
GATACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the same boat, curious as well how people like the setup
Old 06-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
I have 5100's and 885X's with a plate bumper. The ride is relatively rough. I have heard the ride is a little better with OME shocks since they are made to be paired with OME springs. Another benefit is that you can always upgrade to 886X springs easily if you get the OME shocks. Some run 5100's and 886X's, but it not recommended by OME since the 886 springs are really only made to be run with OME shocks.

Matt
Old 06-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer00si View Post
As the title states I am getting the ome 885 springs along with the rear aal.

If I get the complete ome kit from toytec with shipping it comes out to $814

If I get the billies from down south motorsports they are 310 free shipping, then get just the ome kit from toytec without the shocks for 310 plus $50 shipping it works out to $660

I know you have to keep the billies at zero, so is the ome shocks really worth the extra $150?

Thanks
For my money, I would use the OME shocks since they are made to run together....5100s may work fine, but like I said.....if it was me id stick to ome/ome.

Also if it was me, I would order everything from downsouth motorsports. Last I remember (I called a while back) they carried the entire ome line, its just not all listed on the website.

Then (again if it was me) I would save up another hundred and buy the icon progressive aal. I've ran the single aal (toytec/deaver), then I ran the icon progressive....the icon is much smoother, offers 1.5 to 2" of lift depending on if u leave overload in. It carried weight perfectly fine and uses 3 thinner leaves instead of 1 stiff thick leaf.

I kinda wish I bought the icon first and saved money......but then I couldn't give a comparison like this.

Give Sonny or Micah a call.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
I have 5100's and 885X's with a plate bumper. The ride is relatively rough. I have heard the ride is a little better with OME shocks since they are made to be paired with OME springs. Another benefit is that you can always upgrade to 886X springs easily if you get the OME shocks. Some run 5100's and 886X's, but it not recommended by OME since the 886 springs are really only made to be run with OME shocks.

Matt
I agree with this 100%
Old 06-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
DSM sells OME shocks also (at least they used to). That would mean you could buy everything through DSM and possibly same some $$. Personally, if I had gone with an OME lift, I would have gotten OME shocks and coils. Like I said, I'd talk to DSM and see about buying everything from one place, even if it's 5100's and OME coils.

EDIT: Damn, Brock beat me to it
Old 06-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #8

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
DSM sells OME shocks also (at least they used to). That would mean you could buy everything through DSM and possibly same some $$. Personally, if I had gone with an OME lift, I would have gotten OME shocks and coils. Like I said, I'd talk to DSM and see about buying everything from one place, even if it's 5100's and OME coils.

EDIT: Damn, Brock beat me to it
Great minds fuggles, great minds