Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

I want a softer ride: Bilstein 5100's with stock springs?

Old 06-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
hygieneboy will become famous soon enough

Navy: Sub Pilot
hygieneboy's Tacoma Gallery
Cool I want a softer ride: Bilstein 5100's with stock springs?

I have a 2013 Tacoma Prerunner SR5 2.7 access cab

I don't tow anything or carry heavy loads in my bed or off road.

The stock suspension feels a bit harsh over bumps/potholes especially the rear. I have some rough roads on my work commute and it's beating me up a bit.

Basically I want to improve the ride quality so it's less harsh riding. All of my local custom truck shops said that going aftermarket would only make the truck ride more firm/harsh and that OEM is as soft and plush as it's gonna get.

Does anyone have Bilstein 5100's installed on an all OEM suspension ?

If so how's the ride? Better dampening than stock? Slighty stiffer but soaks up bumps better?

I'm definitely open to suggestions.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #2

Well, I went ahead and ordered a set of 5100's all around from Toytec with a bushing set. I'll report back my findings after it's done. Since they're adjustable I'll set it to 1 inch lift on the front to level the truck a bit.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hygieneboy View Post
Well, I went ahead and ordered a set of 5100's all around from Toytec with a bushing set. I'll report back my findings after it's done. Since they're adjustable I'll set it to 1 inch lift on the front to level the truck a bit.
If you set them to get any amount of lift, you'll be pre-loading the springs which will equal a stiffer ride from everything I've read on here. You probably should've ordered a set of OME 885 springs too and then left the 5100s at zero if you wanted a softer ride and some lift.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #4

Well then I will just stay on stock height settings .

I've read a lot of posts about people complaining that their OME setup is too stiff so I didn't wanna go there.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
blair is on a distinguished road
Name: Blair
blair's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2012 SR5 4wd. I have the non-progressive springs in the front and the 4 leaf rear springs. I added 5100s in the front and rear. In the front I lifted 1.75 inches and the rear I used a 1.5" add a leaf. I couldn't tell any difference in ride stiffness between stock and lifted. The Bilsteins make the suspension feel more controlled, but its not rougher/stiffer at all
Old 06-14-2013, 07:38 AM   #6

Well, my shocks arrive today. I'll put in the rears in myself and take the fronts to a shop so they can do an alignment as well. Good to know it's not stiffer
Old 07-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
Hellmutt is a splendid one to beholdHellmutt is a splendid one to beholdHellmutt is a splendid one to beholdHellmutt is a splendid one to beholdHellmutt is a splendid one to beholdHellmutt is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jason
Hellmutt's Tacoma Gallery
Any feedback on the install and ride performance yet? I'm interested in doing the level kit this year using the 5100's and may replace the rears as well
Old 07-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #8

The 5100's definately give a softer more controlled feeling especially in the rear. It's a night and day difference under $600 total installed.:da ncingbacon: