Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

ball joint replacement

Old 06-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
Andys Toy is on a distinguished road

Name: Andy
Andys Toy's Tacoma Gallery
ball joint replacement

I just bought a 2002 tacoma for my kid today. It has a 6" Fab Tech lift and the top ball joints are missing the rubber boot so I assume they are shot. Any advise on the process to replace these. Do I just get the stock ones from the dealer or are there better options.Its been about 25 years since I had my toyota so I don't remember much about them anymore. Getting old I guess
Thanks !
Old 06-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andys Toy View Post
I just bought a 2002 tacoma for my kid today. It has a 6" Fab Tech lift and the top ball joints are missing the rubber boot so I assume they are shot. Any advise on the process to replace these. Do I just get the stock ones from the dealer or are there better options.Its been about 25 years since I had my toyota so I don't remember much about them anymore. Getting old I guess
Thanks !

pics? Might be aftermarket or something
Old 06-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
1st gen how to thread, its all in there.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Biscuits View Post
pics? Might be aftermarket or something
Its a Fab Tech lift. Do I need to use their ball joint or do the stock ones or other after market ones work. Are there better ones to use ?

How do I get the old one out. Doesn't look like I can get a fork in there. Been a long time since I wrenched on a truck.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
You hit it with a hammer right where its all dinged up already and it should fall from upper control arm, but you will have to press it out of steering knuckle. Some of the older fab tech set ups are sketchy. How much lift is it. That steering knuckle doesnt look factory.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #6

It's a 6" lift. I called Fab Tech today and talked to two different tech guys . The first guy gave me a part number and told me to call a local supply shop who did not know what the part number was. The second tech said it it just stock toyota ball joint. Looking at threads on the site some people are recomending Moog as a replacement. I looked Moog ball joints up on Summit racing site and their about $32 each for uppers and about $40 each for lowers. Is this a better way to go than stock. Just not sure how to remove the uppers. The Fab tech guy said to rent a press from O'Reilly auto and press them out. I have a 12 ton press but really want to do this while on the truck to save some work. Any suggestions ?
Old 06-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #7

TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
OEM factory ball joints are the best, moog is good to. Check out the first gen how to thread and there is a ball joint section. You will need a pitman arm puller to do it on truck. Here is link to DIY section. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ful-links.html here is a link to a ball joint puller that you can rent from autozone. http://m.autozone.com/autozone-mobil...4q?switch=true most of the time a pitman arm puller will do the job and not very expensive. The light racing control arm install will show you how to get upper out.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO TX View Post
OEM factory ball joints are the best, moog is good to. Check out the first gen how to thread and there is a ball joint section. You will need a pitman arm puller to do it on truck. Here is link to DIY section. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ful-links.html here is a link to a ball joint puller that you can rent from autozone. http://m.autozone.com/autozone-mobil...4q?switch=true most of the time a pitman arm puller will do the job and not very expensive. The light racing control arm install will show you how to get upper out.
Thanks for the link to the thread