1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hellwig 550s and leaf keepers?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by stump jumper, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Jun 10, 2013 at 10:46 AM
    stump jumper

stump jumper [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    I was going to mount mine the other night but contact with the leaf keepers kept me from it. I decided to wait until I had more time. Neighbor and I looked at them and we thought about just bending the tops of the keepers up so the helper would ride on the top spring and not the keeper. I am looking for anyone that has installed them and loaded the bed. Just not sure about them resting on the keepers.

2. Jun 12, 2013 at 10:53 AM
    stump jumper

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    I called Hellwig. They were sort of familar with the problem. Guy I talked to said someone sent him a picture. We started talking about removing the keepers and I suggested just bending the 90 on the top straight up. He liked that idea too. The u bolts on the helpers will act just like keepers. Looks like I will be getting ou the pry bar.

3. Jun 12, 2013 at 10:59 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I added some helper springs to my truck, not Hellwig, and had to move them back a bit where the rr ubolt was direcly behind the leaf keeper deal. Has worked OK so far. Not sure if this is possible with your setup tho. My deal was with not tightening the ubolts on the helpers down all the way. It made the rear too stiff and actually lowered the truck a half inch doing so. I bought some extra hardware to add additional flat washer underneath the keeper and also just threaded the ubolts enough to get an extra nylon locknut fully threaded on ubolt and locked the 2 down tight to each other. Ended up just right and the double nuts on each ubolt peg will keep everything in place.

4. Jun 12, 2013 at 1:29 PM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    I just put mine over top but the issue is about to be non-existent for me soon anyway. Getting Dakars delivered next week. I didn't really like putting them over top of them but I didn't feel like trying to move them around or bend them or anything.

5. Jun 12, 2013 at 2:37 PM
    stump jumper

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    let me know how those Dakars work out. I am pitching a fit with Toyota right now on these weak springs. It was not really a big issue on my 2009 because the rear end was higher than the front. Problem is when you load a truck that sits level you are nose up.

6. Jun 12, 2013 at 2:38 PM
    stump jumper

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    let me know how those Dakars work out. I am pitching a fit with Toyota right now on these weak springs. It was not really a big issue on my 2009 because the rear end was higher than the front. Problem is when you load a truck that sits level you are nose up. Beginning to think maybe I should have just bought the Chevy.

7. Jun 13, 2013 at 8:14 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Can't believe they put the weak ass leafs on a baja model, so lame but even replacing the leafs yourself is worth not having a Chevy, lol..............

8. Jun 13, 2013 at 8:02 PM
    stump jumper

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    I am going to install the Hellwigs. I will just straighten the bend on top of the keepers. Just do not see the helpers working properly resting on top of the keepers.

Products Discussed in

To Top