Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Hellwig 550s and leaf keepers?

Old 06-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
stump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
stump jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Hellwig 550s and leaf keepers?

I was going to mount mine the other night but contact with the leaf keepers kept me from it. I decided to wait until I had more time. Neighbor and I looked at them and we thought about just bending the tops of the keepers up so the helper would ride on the top spring and not the keeper. I am looking for anyone that has installed them and loaded the bed. Just not sure about them resting on the keepers.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
stump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I called Hellwig. They were sort of familar with the problem. Guy I talked to said someone sent him a picture. We started talking about removing the keepers and I suggested just bending the 90 on the top straight up. He liked that idea too. The u bolts on the helpers will act just like keepers. Looks like I will be getting ou the pry bar.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I added some helper springs to my truck, not Hellwig, and had to move them back a bit where the rr ubolt was direcly behind the leaf keeper deal. Has worked OK so far. Not sure if this is possible with your setup tho. My deal was with not tightening the ubolts on the helpers down all the way. It made the rear too stiff and actually lowered the truck a half inch doing so. I bought some extra hardware to add additional flat washer underneath the keeper and also just threaded the ubolts enough to get an extra nylon locknut fully threaded on ubolt and locked the 2 down tight to each other. Ended up just right and the double nuts on each ubolt peg will keep everything in place.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
I just put mine over top but the issue is about to be non-existent for me soon anyway. Getting Dakars delivered next week. I didn't really like putting them over top of them but I didn't feel like trying to move them around or bend them or anything.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
I just put mine over top but the issue is about to be non-existent for me soon anyway. Getting Dakars delivered next week. I didn't really like putting them over top of them but I didn't feel like trying to move them around or bend them or anything.
let me know how those Dakars work out. I am pitching a fit with Toyota right now on these weak springs. It was not really a big issue on my 2009 because the rear end was higher than the front. Problem is when you load a truck that sits level you are nose up.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
let me know how those Dakars work out. I am pitching a fit with Toyota right now on these weak springs. It was not really a big issue on my 2009 because the rear end was higher than the front. Problem is when you load a truck that sits level you are nose up. Beginning to think maybe I should have just bought the Chevy.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #7
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stump jumper View Post
let me know how those Dakars work out. I am pitching a fit with Toyota right now on these weak springs. It was not really a big issue on my 2009 because the rear end was higher than the front. Problem is when you load a truck that sits level you are nose up. Beginning to think maybe I should have just bought the Chevy.
Can't believe they put the weak ass leafs on a baja model, so lame but even replacing the leafs yourself is worth not having a Chevy, lol..............
Old 06-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #8

I am going to install the Hellwigs. I will just straighten the bend on top of the keepers. Just do not see the helpers working properly resting on top of the keepers.