Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Need to confirm...Sorry for rehashing

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-12-2013, 04:17 AM   #1
samer312 [OP] samer312 is online now
Member
samer312 will become famous soon enough
Name: Sam
Joined: Jul 2011, #60621
Location: Alexandria VA
Gender: Dude
Posts: 98
samer312's Tacoma Gallery
Need to confirm...Sorry for rehashing

Want to replace some of my suspension because it rides like crap and it looks likes its lowered

with some ome shocks and coils (without spacers) how much lift can get? I want to know because need to figure out how much of an aal lift I will need. Also with this setup will I need to extend the brake lines?

Thanks any sorry for asking the obvious-so much information on lifts, sorta hard to find what you need
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:42 AM   #2
Senior Member
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
flatblack's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2013, #100877
Location: CDA
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,379
flatblack's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/ometaco.htm

this site will tell you how much lift you can expect per coil you choose

EDIT: looks like this is for 95-04; i would imagine it's gotta be right around the same, though
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
bjboucher's Avatar
Air Force:
Name: Brad
Joined: Aug 2012, #84371
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Age: 38
Gender: Dude
Posts: 2,214
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
OME claims you get 2" from their full kit but it's really more like 2.5" from what everyone is reporting on here.

This is the wheeler's site for the 2nd gen tacoma:
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05upometaco.htm
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:03 AM   #4
Senior Member
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Mr Salty's Avatar
Name: Hermmy
Joined: Jan 2011, #50297
Location: So Cal
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,347
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by samer312 View Post
Want to replace some of my suspension because it rides like crap and it looks likes its lowered

with some ome shocks and coils (without spacers) how much lift can get? I want to know because need to figure out how much of an aal lift I will need. Also with this setup will I need to extend the brake lines?

Thanks any sorry for asking the obvious-so much information on lifts, sorta hard to find what you need
You have a prerunner, why not get lift spindles? Coil lifts are no good in terms of ride quality. Unless your coils need to be replaced really bad, I wouldn't do coils.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Pugga's Avatar
Name: Mike
Joined: Jun 2010, #39131
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,310
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Salty View Post
You have a prerunner, why not get lift spindles? Coil lifts are no good in terms of ride quality. Unless your coils need to be replaced really bad, I wouldn't do coils.
I disagree with you 100% on that. I think the lift coils and better shocks ride 1,000x better than stock. The stock suspension is soft up front and bouncy in the rear. Stiffer coils paired with properly valved shocks keep the ride much more controlled, reduce body roll in corners and also reduce brake induced nose dive.

If you want over 3" of lift with a Prerunner, I would agree that spindles are a great option. If you think the stock ride is poor, spindles won't change that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
samer312 [OP] samer312 is online now
Member
samer312 will become famous soon enough
Name: Sam
Joined: Jul 2011, #60621
Location: Alexandria VA
Gender: Dude
Posts: 98
samer312's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I disagree with you 100% on that. I think the lift coils and better shocks ride 1,000x better than stock. The stock suspension is soft up front and bouncy in the rear. Stiffer coils paired with properly valved shocks keep the ride much more controlled, reduce body roll in corners and also reduce brake induced nose dive.

If you want over 3" of lift with a Prerunner, I would agree that spindles are a great option. If you think the stock ride is poor, spindles won't change that.
That's why I asked, would i like a lift?-sure, but I have 120,000 on the odometer and the truck is starting to have major body role/look about a half in shorter in the front compared to stock (to much driving in dc...).

So would just coils and shocks give me three inches-just want to know for rear lifting purposes, and would I HAVE to get new brake lines?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Pugga's Avatar
Name: Mike
Joined: Jun 2010, #39131
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,310
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by samer312 View Post
That's why I asked, would i like a lift?-sure, but I have 120,000 on the odometer and the truck is starting to have major body role/look about a half in shorter in the front compared to stock (to much driving in dc...).

So would just coils and shocks give me three inches-just want to know for rear lifting purposes, and would I HAVE to get new brake lines?
Check out the OME lift kit with Light Racing upper control arms. That will get you to 3" of lift. For the rear, either an AAL or replacement leaf pack. A leaf pack would be better but not everyone wants to drop that kind of money on a lift. The OME kit for the front does not require new brake lines, depending on what you do for the rear, brake lines might be required, just depends on how tall you go. Most people won't put the same lift front and back. The rear usually gets a little less lift so the truck rides level.

If you could find some new front coil/shock take-offs, a spindle lift is a great way to lift a Prerunner. If you liked the suspension when it was new and stock, that would be a good way to go. If not, start looking aftermarket!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
samer312 [OP] samer312 is online now
Member
samer312 will become famous soon enough
Name: Sam
Joined: Jul 2011, #60621
Location: Alexandria VA
Gender: Dude
Posts: 98
samer312's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the help
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
help confirm before i order lift fouillard13 1st Gen. Tacomas 34 04-05-2013 01:20 PM
Just want to confirm Aw9d Audio & Video 0 03-17-2012 07:02 PM
how to confirm TRD etc vantaco 1st Gen. Tacomas 26 08-18-2010 09:24 AM
can someone confirm what this part is forbins 1st Gen. Tacomas 18 02-08-2010 12:11 PM
How to Confirm What Mechanics Have Told Me gutira3 Technical Chat 21 01-23-2009 04:37 AM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.