Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

1.5-2 inch lift that does not limit travel

Old 06-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
kodiakisland is on a distinguished road
kodiakisland's Tacoma Gallery
1.5-2 inch lift that does not limit travel

I have a 2012 4X4 access cab with a leer shell. I have 3leaf rear springs that are stressed with just the weight of the shell. I don't wheel it hard, but do go offroad several times a month. I also take long round trips (4-5K miles) with 500+ pounds in the bed several times a year.

I plan to get the wheeler 3 leaf AAL for the rear and keep the overload spring to give close to 1.5 inches with the leer top.

I'm not sure what to do up front. I had though of getting 5100s at 1.75 but I don't want to limit travel as I do go offroad frequently. I also want to do this as cheaply as possible as money is tight. I've been thinking of getting 883s with 5100s at 0. If I need to after the springs settle I can go to .85 if needed.

Do the 883s actually add suspension travel or stay the same as stock? Any better options to go 1.5 inches and not lose travel or possibly increase travel and still stay on a budget?
Old 06-19-2013, 06:38 AM   #2
Frogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: On EOS duty
Name: Chris
Frogsauce's Tacoma Gallery
I'm kind of wondering the same things as you. I am trying to piece together a working solution.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Front suspension travel is limited by the shock. By using 5100's at 1.75 or lift springs, you lose down travel but gain up travel. The overall travel length of the shock is unchanged. If you want to gain travel, the only way to do so is to use an extended travel shock.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
Like Pugga said, a longer shock up front is what nets you extra travel. Here's how to think about it. You are pinned at your LCA and your wheels move in an arc about that point. So, you can basically draw a circle around your LCA mount that arcs about it's length. A stock suspension with move along that arc with it's up travel limited by spring compression and down travel limited by the extended length of the shock. When you lift, you get extra travel by getting a shock that allows your suspension to down-travel along that arc farther.

So, I'd get a longer spring that will compress down to where your stock spring compresses. And I'd get a longer shock that will allow your extension to be lengthened. For me a first gen Tundra 5100 is ideal on a first gen tacoma. The compressed/extended lengths are perfect for a truck with a lift spring.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Keep in mind extended travel shocks should be paired with new UCA's. The stock UCA's do not allow the full range of motion for an extended travel application.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #6
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
^True... to a certain extent. Lots of extended setups don't actually bring enough wheel travel to require the extra range of motion UCAs bring. I'd get the coils/spring first and check before spending the money. Another option is to use stock UCAs with the spaced ball joint in it. Those get the same range of motion as extended travel UCAs, but don't have the same strength...

I guess it just depends on how much travel you're looking for.