Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Shocks or Leaf Springs?

Old 06-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
tbone56 is on a distinguished road
tbone56's Tacoma Gallery
Shocks or Leaf Springs?

My truck recently started bottoming out on the rear axle. And if you look at the truck from behind, it appears to tilt to the left.
I am trying to determine if it is a problem with the shocks or leaf springs. I have done the weight test and I don't think it is the shocks.
The leafs have some gaps between them on the ends. Is that normal?
I took some pics of the leafs. Take a look at them and let me know what you think.

If its the shocks, I can change those, if the leafs, Ill need to get it fixed. Any advise on that?

Thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Shocks or Leaf Springs?-photo-2.jpg   Shocks or Leaf Springs?-photo-4.jpg   Shocks or Leaf Springs?-photo-5.jpg  
Old 06-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
drunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sage
drunktaco's Tacoma Gallery
Leaning to the drivers side is known as "the taco lean". Due to the location of the gas tank.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #3
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
All the heavy items are on the drivers side, battery, gas tank, you. The rear leafs are weak as crap as well. Check into the TSB springs, OMD leaf swap, or upgrading to aftermarket.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
tbone56's Tacoma Gallery
I did not know that. Interesting. But that cant be the cause for the truck bottoming out and hitting the bumpers on the leafs?? It only started doing this the last month or so. I go over a railroad track and it slams the back end down. I have to slow to 20 mph to make it smoothly.

Sandman, thanks. I will do that. From pictures, do you know if there are supposed to be gaps on the leaf springs?
Old 06-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone56 View Post
Sandman, thanks. I will do that. From pictures, do you know if there are supposed to be gaps on the leaf springs?
They look normal.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
drunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
How many miles do you have on your truck and have you hauled heavy things? Like sandman said the stock leaf packs are weak.

Edit: forgot to mention yours look just like mine.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
Quack Addict
monstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

monstertaco12's Tacoma Gallery
I would change the shocks and see what happens. Its cheaper than changing the leafs and worst case scenario is you have new rear shocks and new leafs if the shocks dont solve the issue
Old 06-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
LRGRNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertaco12 View Post
I would change the shocks and see what happens. Its cheaper than changing the leafs and worst case scenario is you have new rear shocks and new leafs if the shocks dont solve the issue
Negative ghost writer. The shocks don't keep your ass in the air, that's the springs job. The shocks keep you tires on the road by dampening the spring.

Here's a Toyota Secondary flat/weak leaf next to the chevy leaf I replaced it with. Big difference.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
Negative ghost writer. The shocks don't keep your ass in the air, that's the springs job. The shocks keep you tires on the road by dampening the spring.

Here's a Toyota Secondary flat/weak leaf next to the chevy leaf I replaced it with. Big difference.

Did you do the OMD trick to your leaf pack?
Old 06-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
LRGRNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunktaco View Post
Did you do the OMD trick to your leaf pack?
yessir, as well as the Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL. The OMD was not for lift in my case.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
yessir, as well as the Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL. The OMD was not for lift in my case.
Did you do it for hauling purpose? And are you from Boone? That's not far from me if you are. OP sorry for the thread jack
Old 06-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #12
tbone56's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the helpful information guys.

I have about 45k miles, 2008 4x4, crew. I only haul my boat around during the Spring/Summer months.

Ok. So, it sounds like I need to get the leafs replaced. I guess they just gave way? Would I do both a TSB sping and OMD leaf swap or is that the same thing? Just a google search for a place to purchase those parts?
Old 06-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #13
LRGRNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunktaco View Post
Did you do it for hauling purpose? And are you from Boone? That's not far from me if you are. OP sorry for the thread jack

This is all related to OP's post, in a way.
The OMD mod will give you a greater towing/hauling capacity and lift, how much is really not defined as it depends on the configuration you use, without sagging and hitting the bump stops. It is also the least expensive [$] route if you are handy or have a friend.

The Wheeler's 3 leaf AAL I put on was for the lift, advertised as 1.5". I had this on at first and was happy with it until I loaded it up a couple times. AAL are not cures, they are large moderately inexpensive [$$] band-aids.

The OMD mod was the cure!

I don't live in Boone anymore, I am still up there as much as I can.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #14
LRGRNR

Quote:
Thanks for all the helpful information guys.

I have about 45k miles, 2008 4x4, crew. I only haul my boat around during the Spring/Summer months.

Ok. So, it sounds like I need to get the leafs replaced. I guess they just gave way? Would I do both a TSB sping and OMD leaf swap or is that the same thing? Just a google search for a place to purchase those parts?
Do you mean Double cab i.e full 4 doors? Where are you located? If you are still in Warranty get the TSB (+ 4th leaf), can't hurt anything having that. Search on here for "Tacoma Spring Refurbishing".
Old 06-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #15
tbone56's Tacoma Gallery
Yep. 4 door and I am in Dallas. No warranty left. With no warrenty left, I would get OMD leafs...?? Not sure what that is. And you used Chevy? (This guys a little confused)

I have a mechanically inclined friend, who would be able to help me out. Just need to figure out what to buy.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #16
VolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Machinist Mate Third Class (Veteran 2011)
VolcomTacoma2011's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly it depends what you want them for!

Do you haul weight often?
Do you want any lift?
Do you want stock height?
Do you plan on upgrading the shocks?
Do you want it stiff or soft in the back?

Contact Doug(OMD,4WD) with the answers to these questions and he can probably tell you want you meed
Old 06-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #17
tbone56's Tacoma Gallery
No weight except during summer time when I haul a boat around. Heavy boat, 5800lbs.
No lift needed.
Stock height is fine.
Probably upgrading shocks as I am at 45k and I've been seeing that they fail around there.
Right in the middle.

Feel like an idiot but who is Doug and how do I contact him?
Old 06-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #18
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No weight except during summer time when I haul a boat around. Heavy boat, 5800lbs.
No lift needed.
Stock height is fine.
Probably upgrading shocks as I am at 45k and I've been seeing that they fail around there.
Right in the middle.

Doug's user name is 4WD, shoot him a private message (go to site info, member's list, search for "4WD", then "Send a Private Message")

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/member.php?u=19185
Old 06-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #19
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No lift needed.
Stock height is fine.
Right in the middle.

Doug is this guy, screen name is 4WD.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...urbishing.html
EDIT: mike beat me to it.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #20
LRGRNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
Doug is this guy, screen name is 4WD.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...urbishing.html
EDIT: mike beat me to it.
I already linked his thread too.