1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New to me 2005 trd sport 4x4 dblcab

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by petro55, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Jun 14, 2013 at 9:50 AM
    petro55

petro55 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Inverness, IL
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport 4x4
    Fox Performance 2.0, Icon Extended length rear, Dakar(3rd leaf removed).
    Hello TacomaWorld!

I just bought a 2005 Tacoma with 115000 miles. Love the truck and i am sorting out all the maint items. I have already replaced spark plugs, both diff fluids, and transfer case. My next task is to sort out the suspension(all original).

I took a good look at the shocks, leaf springs, and control arm bushings and they all look like the rubber is dry rotted and need to be replaced. The leaf springs are non TSB and are sagging. Everything is original.

With that being said should i bite the bullet and order all new suspension and replace it all at once? I am not really looking for a lift but a inch or 2 with some sort of leveling would work as long as the ride was still comfortable for the road.

Does it make sense to add icon AAL in the rear if my leafs need to be replaced? Or just replace the whole thing with dakar leaf?

What are the best and cheapest UCA to go with if I use go 5100/eibach shock set up?

My thinking is if the part needs to be replaced i might as well upgrade in the process, and do it once with out wasting money on different configs.

Sorry for long post, any and all suggestions are welcome.

Mike

2. Jun 14, 2013 at 11:11 AM
    TRD6Speed

TRD6Speed senior member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Hartford, CT
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    885x with 5100s and top plate spacer for full 3", RCD extended 5100s in rear, dakars, flip kit, LR UCAs, tint, shorty antenna, in channel rain guards,BHLM, blacked out emblem, OEM side steps, weathertechs, debadged, rear diff breather
    Hello and welcome.....next time just say you're a girl and I'm sure some of the young hornballs would have given you some info ;).....instead I saw you got 29 views and no replys.....what a surprise. Look around the forums......there are many options for a mild lift(5100s, spacers, ironman lift, etc...).

As far as replacing your 115k suspension.....I highly recommend it. While these tacomas are very strong and built to last.....the stock suspension is another story. If you don't want to lift your truck then look around on here....many guys get rid of almost new TSB springs for cheap.

I recently purchased OME dakars(on backorder.....FML) because I am going for a 3" lift. They are the most popular option when lifting around the 3" area in the rear......while Allpro have rear lift springs as well.

Well......hope that helps some.........like I said......just search around for the popular lift threads......they will give you an idea of what to expect when lifting if you go that route.................and how much your WALLET is gonna feel it;).................cuz let me tell ya mine gets bruised up all the time since I joined. Its an addiction.

3. Jun 14, 2013 at 11:15 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I would definitely give the complete Iron Man lift a hard look. The Dakar leaf pack will give you more lift than you probably want.

If you want to piece a lift together, Wheelers makes a 2" leaf pack and you can use OME 884 coils up front. 5100's or OME Nitrochargers for shocks all around and Light Racing UCA's (they will be the cheapest option for replacement upper control arms).

4. Jun 14, 2013 at 11:46 AM
    petro55

petro55 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Inverness, IL
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport 4x4
    Fox Performance 2.0, Icon Extended length rear, Dakar(3rd leaf removed).
    Would it be a good idea to replace the upper and lower control arms. I would hate to install all new everything and then have the lowers go out?

Are others around this mileage replacing them?

Products Discussed in

To Top