Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

5100's installed on lowest/stock setting and still nose high. What's the deal???

Old 06-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #21
MichelinMan
teamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

teamhypoxia's Tacoma Gallery
The installer should definitely be replaced.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #22
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hygieneboy View Post
Should both shocks be replaced or just the damaged drivers side?
Can't tell what the damage is but if it's just cosmetic, I'd let it go. If it's dented or cracked, then make a stink about it. Looks like it's just scuffed.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #24
kodiakisland is on a distinguished road
kodiakisland's Tacoma Gallery
What did the dealer charge you? I assume they did an alignment as well.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #25
whitetacoma89 has a spectacular aura aboutwhitetacoma89 has a spectacular aura about

whitetacoma89's Tacoma Gallery
That plate is clearly upside down. Turning that around should fix your problem immediately
Old 06-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #26
hygieneboy will become famous soon enough

Navy: Sub Pilot
hygieneboy's Tacoma Gallery
Got a loaner for the time being until things get figured out. Grrrrrr. The truck actually seemed to drive nice and softer than stock even with an upside down spring seat and lotsa lift in the front.
Attached Thumbnails
5100's installed on lowest/stock setting and still nose high. What's the deal???-image.jpg  
Old 06-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #27
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Hope they fix it right and give you a discount or something as compensation for the mess-up.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #28
Airdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AD3 86-89 VX-5 China Lake
Name: Tom
Airdog's Tacoma Gallery
Reason #1 you should do this stuff yourself. It is easy. If you cant do it get very familiar with the install procedures then verify that the mechanic has done it correctly before you even drive off with it. Shit like this flat scares me. Hell if I was the mechanic i'd be afraid to even take this off because there is nothing keeping that spring plate clip in place other than the spring pressure trying to push the clip it down and out. In this situation I would use the floorjack under the LCA and relieve the spring pressure with the floorjack after removing the top stem nut....would not want that coil over sittin on the bench unrestrained.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #29
whitetacoma89 has a spectacular aura aboutwhitetacoma89 has a spectacular aura about

Hopefully your 5100s aren't messed up... with that kind of pressure... who knows what has already been damaged. Good luck bro this situation sucks for u
Old 06-15-2013, 06:00 AM   #30

I just got a call. My Toyota dealer has ordered some new 5100 front shocks and will install them Monday when they arrive. The tech who originally installed them told me he was driving back and forth over speed bumps to settle the springs.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:07 AM   #31
SSG665 has a spectacular aura aboutSSG665 has a spectacular aura aboutSSG665 has a spectacular aura about
SSG665's Tacoma Gallery
Where do they find some of these techs????
Old 06-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #32
MichelinMan
teamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

teamhypoxia's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I just got a call. My Toyota dealer has ordered some new 5100 front shocks and will install them Monday when they arrive. The tech who originally installed them told me he was driving back and forth over speed bumps to settle the springs.
He should start a new career AS a speed bump.

It seems he would have a greater aptitude for this.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:37 AM   #33
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamhypoxia View Post
He should start a new career AS a speed bump.

It seems he would have a greater aptitude for this.
haaa!
Old 06-15-2013, 06:43 AM   #34
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamhypoxia View Post
The installer should definitely be replaced.
lol
Old 06-15-2013, 06:57 AM   #35

My local aftermarket truck shops all quoted around $350 to install the shocks/alignment and none seemed too keen to work on a Toyota. My Toyota dealer is closer and quoted me $225. And who knows how to work on a Toyota better than the dealer I thought I'm not perfect. I make mistakes...... but damn! I went round and round with them to get a rental/loaner w/o putting my credit card down(their GM used his) and to get new front 5100 shocks but it seems that they are trying to make things right. Let's see if I somehow don't get invited to fill out a survey this time
Old 06-15-2013, 06:59 AM   #36
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
That's sucks to here OP. but at least they are fixing and replacing them and you got a free rental too.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:13 AM   #37
Swimmerboy2112 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
Swimmerboy2112's Tacoma Gallery
Jeez that's bad. I'm glad you got everything all straightened out but man what a headache. This is why i'm a big DIY fan, at least if I mess it up, I only have myself to blame.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #38
kodiakisland is on a distinguished road
kodiakisland's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My local aftermarket truck shops all quoted around $350 to install the shocks/alignment and none seemed too keen to work on a Toyota. My Toyota dealer is closer and quoted me $225. And who knows how to work on a Toyota better than the dealer I thought I'm not perfect. I make mistakes...... but damn! I went round and round with them to get a rental/loaner w/o putting my credit card down(their GM used his) and to get new front 5100 shocks but it seems that they are trying to make things right. Let's see if I somehow don't get invited to fill out a survey this time
Thanks for the price info. I'm going to see what my dealer will charge for the same thing next week.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #39
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
I took my Bilsteins with eibach coils to a shock and strut place. My thought was they know what they are doing, I'm sure they can put my Coilovers together for me so I can take them home and install them. Plus they had a wall mounted spring compressor, so they must have done stuff like this before...

Nope!!! Never doing that again. They had no clue what they were looking at. I had researched and personally, I knew what to do, I just didn't want to deal with compressing the spring. Well I ended up doing it myself at that shop. They let me do it myself and I didn't have to pay anything. I'm not gonna trust anyone with installing things on my truck unless I'm right there to watch every step!

Good luck OP! Hope every thing turns out as it should!
Old 06-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #40

Keep us updated op! You should definitely ask them to comp the labor!