1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looks better than it rides

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Goosedog, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Jun 15, 2013 at 12:53 PM
    Goosedog

Goosedog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So after much research here at TW, phone calls to suspension parts shops, and finally pulling the trigger on a lift.... I'm not so sure I like what I've done.

I wanted to lift/level the front, (on a budget) so I stayed with the stock springs all the way around, and had heard Billy 5100's was a far superior way to go over spacers. I installed them @ the 1.75 setting and it did bring the front up to perfectly match the rear, but the ride definitly suffered.

The front seems too harsh now and the rear too soft going around corners. It feels like the way a Baja truck looks when railing a corner on pavement. I know this is an obvious result of compressing the front springs for lift and doing nothing to the rear but honestly it feels unsafe to drive.

Would I be better off lowering the front Billys one setting to soften the front or should I firm up the rear with AAL's or TSB's?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  2. Jun 15, 2013 at 1:19 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Props for posting a true thread and taking it on the chin. Hopefully others will learn from what you don't like.

I would definitely lower the front down a setting and get the TSB's if you can get them for free - this will allow you to get a free alignment after you lower the front down. After you get it home you can (if your not hauling) remove the overload and that will take away about 1/2" of the 3/4" gain in height the TSB's provide.

IMHO don't worry about being 'level'. Trucks are not supposed to be level. if you ever use the bed and I'm guessing you will because you have a pick up truck the ass end will be squatting and low....thats the whole reason the trucks are ass high....to offset this.

If you do get a AAL DO NOT get a single AAL. IMO they are junk and also provide a very harsh ride. Look into wheelers 3 leaf progressive aal - they are 100% better than a single.

Good luck man!

3. Jun 15, 2013 at 2:01 PM
    BlackSportD

BlackSportD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Icon/TC Mid travel, TRD S/C, PNP Greddy EMU, 625cc injectors, 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
    Pre-loading a spring to increase ride height- in a perfect world- does not inherently increase spring rate. Lift the spring's perch 1" and get a 1" lift, the ride should be the same. If the spring is progressive, and the suspension geometry is causing some kind of binding reducing lift away from a 1:1 ratio, or the new higher ride height affects suspension component's angles enough to put a different leverage upon the coil then I suppose the result could be perceived stiffer spring rate. But I'd be suspect of the damper's valving first and foremost. Would be interesting if you put the ride height to stock and its still "stiff" simply due to having "tighter" valving.

On my first gen at OE height, the 5100s front are soft, its nice. Being OE ride height I followed advice to get the 5125s in the rear--- horrible, opposite problem your having. But I have to say, if I carried load all of the time, I think thats what the 5125s are valved for.

4. Jun 15, 2013 at 4:28 PM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    I do not have 5100's. My truck has something else on all 4 corners.

FWIW, when my truck was new, with the non TSB springs, the rear would sway back and forth on the highway on a calm day. Even with stock springs all around, the back was soft to me. Almost exactly as you describe it.

Had TSB springs installed and it was a totally different ride.

Also, you will always hear people post about preload to raise a truck and how preload technically does not change the springs rate. This is true unless the spring is progressive wound or end conditioned.

What does happen when you add preload is raise the truck, yes, obvious. Also what happens is this changes the suspensions roll center. Roll center is a critical handling trait that somewhat kind of sort of determines how the truck or car sets in the turn. Roll centers will move as the vehicle experiences cornering loads, body roll, suspension movement under acceleration and decelleration. Roll center is not CG, but a series of vectors or lines that are drawn through the suspension pivot, both upper and lower suspension points and calculate an intersection of the points. This point is the axis of chassis roll and it is constantly changing. Yes there are other factors such as CG, sidewall flex, swaybar influence and so forth.

To test for a damping change, ride over some bumps straight on, note how it responds. Lower it and test again.

All the best with it.

PK

5. Jun 15, 2013 at 4:30 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    My truck rides like a brick

6. Jun 15, 2013 at 5:00 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

so does every other OME truck....but that shit lasts and is dependable and not pricey

7. Jun 15, 2013 at 5:03 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Not complaining

8. Jun 15, 2013 at 5:04 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

oh you like the brick ride like I do.....OK :)

9. Jun 15, 2013 at 5:08 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    It just is what it is , no biggie

10. Jun 15, 2013 at 5:26 PM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    Hmmm, I hope that's a slight exaggeration! Not expecting a plush ride but wasn't expecting a brick either.

11. Jun 15, 2013 at 5:28 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    A lot of mine is in my tires

12. Jun 15, 2013 at 5:44 PM
    bjboucher

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    Hope so! Mine are C-load. Seem pretty soft. Guess I'll see in about a week how it rides.

13. Jun 15, 2013 at 5:45 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    It's still stiffer than stock

14. Jun 15, 2013 at 5:57 PM
    bjboucher

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    I'm ok with that, just wasn't expecting it to drive super stiff with no give.

15. Jun 15, 2013 at 5:57 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Prepare yourself

16. Jun 15, 2013 at 6:03 PM
    bjboucher

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Ha, guess I'll start!

17. Jun 15, 2013 at 6:06 PM
    Millertime187

Millertime187 I'll be your huckleberry!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Clay City, KY
    Vehicle:
    1995 Taco
    Just a few little things. It's my DD
    Must I say my spacer lift with 5100's set at 0 rides like a catty! It really does drive and ride better than the factory base setup!

18. Jun 15, 2013 at 6:19 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    what's a catty ?

19. Jun 15, 2013 at 6:22 PM
    Millertime187

Millertime187 I'll be your huckleberry!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Clay City, KY
    Vehicle:
    1995 Taco
    Just a few little things. It's my DD
    Cadillac!

Prob should have been caddy! My bad!

20. Jun 17, 2013 at 5:50 AM
    Goosedog

Goosedog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks for all the replies and some rep too. This quote above, makes the most sense to me. As I drove it more over the last few days it began to feel more stable. Some of my initial reaction may have been knee-jerk due to the new-ness of the changed suspension. I am trying to get the local dealers cooperation on TSB-ing my rear springs now and I'll post up any changes they make if I'm successful. If the dealer won't play then I'll go with XXXX's suggestion of Wheelers AAL's

Products Discussed in

To Top