Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Need lift advise!!

Old 06-15-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
HaPPyCaMPer is on a distinguished road

HaPPyCaMPer's Tacoma Gallery
Need lift advise!!

Ok so I have a brand new 2 week old 2013 DC Taco OR. Im pretty new to trucks in general so cut me some slack
She will be a pavement princess 90% of time (shes my daily driver).
Ive been doing some research but I really just want to hear you guy's opinion on what I should do.
I've read into all the different options, but what I'm stuck on is what more than enough to meet what I am going to do with truck. The off roading I will be doing is mild dirt trails to go camping or off a back road to go shooting or hunting. I'm not doing anything extreme but I would like to be able to tackle mild stuff I come across in the field without worry.

Heres what it must meet:

-looking for 2.5" to 3" lift
-must at least maintain close to stock ride comfort since I drive it daily
-have enough performance to tackle anything mild to medium obstacles in the field
- hopeflly fit somewhere around a 33" tire (not set on what Im doing there ether)
-budget is not set. Im willing to pay for what I need, Ill spend 300 bucks or 1200 bucks, but dont want to buy more than I need
-RIDE COMFORT is a MUST.

Thanks guys
Chad
-
Old 06-15-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
do a search and you'll find a wealth of information. most people on a budget do the blistein 5100's.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamamerica View Post
do a search and you'll find a wealth of information. most people on a budget do the blistein 5100's.
like i said I understand what is out there for kits, what Im looking for is opinion on what is needed for my level of OffRoading im looking to do.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamamerica View Post
He has progressive coils.....preloading them will not retain a good ride, especially since he wants 2.5 to 3".

Btw, OP...... for that much lift, u need to factor in the cost of new upper control arms

Try calling Sonny or Micah at downsouth motorsports and tell them exactly what ur looking for and I bet they can find something for ya, and will not upsell u a single thing, and they always have the best prices/support
Old 06-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
He has progressive coils.....preloading them will not retain a good ride, especially since he wants 2.5 to 3".

Btw, OP...... for that much lift, u need to factor in the cost of new upper control arms
Now correct me if Im wrong but if I go with a 2.5" i dont have to replace upper arms...correct?

and like I said Im willing to spend the money for the best of what is suitable for my needs
Old 06-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaPPyCaMPer View Post
Now correct me if Im wronge but if I go with a 2.5" i dont have to replace upper arms...correct?
Throw a dart in the dark at a dart board after spinning 3 times in place......

U may hit the board, u may not.

That's the probability of needing new uca at 2.5"

Not the answer u wanted, I know......but its honest
Old 06-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Throw a dart in the dark at a dart board after spinning 3 times in place......

U may hit the board, u may not.

That's the probability of needing new uca at 2.5"

Not the answer u wanted, I know......but its honest
lol great makes choosing soooo much easier lol

thanks though
Old 06-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
Taco 12 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
Taco 12's Tacoma Gallery
I was in the same boat as you when I bought my truck last year but I wanted to pay it off before I started spending all of my money on mods. If you are looking for a basic lift with keeping cost in mind I recommend 5100's in the front or OME 885's (for a better ride with the 5100's) and then either an add a lief or Dakars in the back. If you search around Tacoma World you can find some good deals at the recommended stores but keep in mind you will have to pay of install and alignment. Check out toytec's page and give them a call if you have exact questions. If you tell them what you want and what you want to spend they will recommend the right kit.

The rule of thumb I learned was to add around $200-300 for installation and alignment.

Good luck and welcome
Old 06-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #9

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
lol great makes choosing soooo much easier lol

thanks though
Sorry...... that's just 1 reason I went with toytec/eibach coils..... I don't need 3", and I don't wanna buy new uca.

Call downsouth on Monday tho
Old 06-15-2013, 10:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Sorry...... that's just 1 reason I went with toytec/eibach coils..... I don't need 3", and I don't wanna buy new uca.

Call downsouth on Monday tho

downsouth?
Old 06-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco 12 View Post
I was in the same boat as you when I bought my truck last year but I wanted to pay it off before I started spending all of my money on mods. If you are looking for a basic lift with keeping cost in mind I recommend 5100's in the front or OME 885's (for a better ride with the 5100's) and then either an add a lief or Dakars in the back. If you search around Tacoma World you can find some good deals at the recommended stores but keep in mind you will have to pay of install and alignment. Check out toytec's page and give them a call if you have exact questions. If you tell them what you want and what you want to spend they will recommend the right kit.

The rule of thumb I learned was to add around $200-300 for installation and alignment.

Good luck and welcome
thanks
money really isnt an issue, im just trying to figure out what is overkill for my needs and go one step below that
Old 06-15-2013, 10:56 PM   #12

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Downsouthmotorsports.com

Best prices and service.... talk to Micah or Sonny
Old 06-15-2013, 11:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Downsouthmotorsports.com

Best prices and service.... talk to Micah or Sonny

thanks!

anyone else want to chime in with opinions? all are welcome!
Old 06-16-2013, 06:40 AM   #14
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
These guys are saying the right things.
Downsouth motorsports has TW disount, Wheelers can get you into what ever you need, Toy Tec has a ton of Tacoma stuff.
Call and talk to these people and tell them what your looking for lift and performance wise, and any of them will get you going in the right direction.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:10 AM   #15
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Wheelers Off Road is based in Oregon. You might want to talk to them. If they're close enough, you could just pick it up and save shipping costs! They have tons of Tacoma stuff.

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacoma.htm