Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Question about 3 inch lift...

Old 06-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #41
661prerunner has a spectacular aura about661prerunner has a spectacular aura about

661prerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Also remember that C/Os are fully adjustable and tunable. So you can also tune to your driving conditions whether its off road or mall crawling. Typically the a bit stiffer for off roading

You could also add spindles to give more height with out as much preload. But as mentioned earlier with spacer you might have to to the cab mount chop.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #42
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 661prerunner View Post
Also remember that C/Os are fully adjustable and tunable. So you can also tune to your driving conditions whether its off road or mall crawling. Typically the a bit stiffer for off roading

You could also add spindles to give more height with out as much preload. But as mentioned earlier with spacer you might have to to the cab mount chop.
Hes a 4x4, no spindle lift for us
Old 06-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #43
661prerunner has a spectacular aura about661prerunner has a spectacular aura about

661prerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Well never mind.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #44
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsutigers1 View Post
So just purchase something with matching shocks in front and rear. Coilovers in the front and leafs in the back??? Anything else im missing? Thats pretty basic right? What brands do yall recommend???
Not necessarily matching. I have Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks with EIBACH 3" lift coils up front. Those 2 products are sold separately but many people have this combo and recommend it, as do I. I love it, not only for lift purposes, but for quality of the ride as well. For the rear I recommend getting new leaf springs if your budget allows. New leaf springs compared to an AAL is a smoother ride in the new leaf springs, and a stiffer ride in the AAL. OME/ Dakar is the brand I recommend for new leaf springs, only because I have them. I'm sure the other brands are great as well. Also, a cheaper option for leaf springs may be to get rebuilt springs from Doug, he's a member here on TW, his TW name is 4WD, look him up.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #45
Lsutigers1 is on a distinguished road
Marines: 1/9 Walking Dead Sgt
Name: Jason
Lsutigers1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainmoe02 View Post
Not necessarily matching. I have Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks with EIBACH 3" lift coils up front. Those 2 products are sold separately but many people have this combo and recommend it, as do I. I love it, not only for lift purposes, but for quality of the ride as well. For the rear I recommend getting new leaf springs if your budget allows. New leaf springs compared to an AAL is a smoother ride in the new leaf springs, and a stiffer ride in the AAL. OME/ Dakar is the brand I recommend for new leaf springs, only because I have them. I'm sure the other brands are great as well. Also, a cheaper option for leaf springs may be to get rebuilt springs from Doug, he's a member here on TW, his TW name is 4WD, look him up.
I'm definitely going to be getting a entirely new leaf setup in rear, mainly to keep the ride nice. In the front I think OME is going to be fine, but I'm considering higher end because of the ability to rebuild and driving in NYC that could be beneficial as the road here are insanely bad. Also, it seems like it would be better to have some extended to gain back the droop. I'll have to search out Doug and see whats up
Old 06-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #46
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
Thats the diameter of the shock. Icons are adjustable from 0-3.5". And you dont necesarily need 3" to clear 285s. There will most likely be some trimming needed for 285s even with a 3" lift, you might just have to cut a little more if you dont have a full 3" lift. Dont let me talk you into high end coilovers if you dont think you need them, because old man emu is a great setup.

Not necessarily softer, but smoother. Especially when hitting bumps or potholes at high speed
I'm am considering the higher end now for the rebuilding and the better ride. Here in NYC they can pave or fix a road to save their lives, so hitting a hole going 40 isn't really out the norm sometimes. I noticed they have a remote reservoir too. Is this what make it rebuildable??? I would also need an new UCA with a 3 inch lift correct??? Or at least to keep the stress off other parts of my truck??
Old 06-23-2013, 06:49 AM   #47
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsutigers1 View Post
I'm am considering the higher end now for the rebuilding and the better ride. Here in NYC they can pave or fix a road to save their lives, so hitting a hole going 40 isn't really out the norm sometimes. I noticed they have a remote reservoir too. Is this what make it rebuildable??? I would also need an new UCA with a 3 inch lift correct??? Or at least to keep the stress off other parts of my truck??
Souds like your starting to figure it all out. Yes UCAs are recomended when you lift the front over 2.5". You are changing the geometry of the suspension, and lifting will throw off the alignment, your caster will be low. UCAs add 2* of caster which will help get everything in spec. They do not need a remote reservoir to be rebuildable, the remote resis helps keep the shock cool when its working very hard which helps it perform better, this is really meant for high speed wheeling.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #48
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
Thats the diameter of the shock. Icons are adjustable from 0-3.5". And you dont necesarily need 3" to clear 285s. There will most likely be some trimming needed for 285s even with a 3" lift, you might just have to cut a little more if you dont have a full 3" lift. Dont let me talk you into high end coilovers if you dont think you need them, because old man emu is a great setup.

Not necessarily softer, but smoother. Especially when hitting bumps or potholes at high speed
Are there any brands out there that match the quality of icon and fox, but a much better price? I think you convinced me on the extended travel higher end front coil overs. Now i need to figure out if i can run dakars and the higher end rear shocks. Im reading some places that i cant. They might be full of gibberish but apparently rear icons dont extend far enough???? Any suggestions on that or am i half a retard? Lol if that true are there spacers of some sort to get the extra length i need?