Notices

Question about 3 inch lift...

Old 06-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
Lsutigers1 is on a distinguished road
Marines: 1/9 Walking Dead Sgt
Name: Jason
Lsutigers1's Tacoma Gallery
Question about 3 inch lift...

I know people may get tired of these questions and I have no idea if this has been asked or not so here goes. I have an 09 TRD Tacoma and Im looking to put some bigger tires on it. I want a three in lift to ensure that I fit them. However, when I called the only reputable shop in Long Island, he said that a three inch lift is only gunna be a leveling kit which is horrible for my truck and after 6 months it would start having major drive problems. He recommended a four inch suspension lift because he said they dont make three inch suspension lifts like they do 4 and 6. So I'm not sure. Is this guy taking me for a ride? Do they not make 3 inch suspension lifts like they do 4 and 6?
Old 06-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
A good quality lift won't be exactly 3" but you can get it there. He is full of BS though, he probably wants more money (assuming he will use a BDS lift) & wants to charge. Why not buy some good suspension parts from DSM or toytec, do a feeler thread and pay with food and beer? I'd recommend a full OME kit front to back, best bang for your buck IMO.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs.
LukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: luke
LukeBo4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsutigers1 View Post
I know people may get tired of these questions and I have no idea if this has been asked or not so here goes. I have an 09 TRD Tacoma and Im looking to put some bigger tires on it. I want a three in lift to ensure that I fit them. However, when I called the only reputable shop in Long Island, he said that a three inch lift is only gunna be a leveling kit which is horrible for my truck and after 6 months it would start having major drive problems. He recommended a four inch suspension lift because he said they dont make three inch suspension lifts like they do 4 and 6. So I'm not sure. Is this guy taking me for a ride? Do they not make 3 inch suspension lifts like they do 4 and 6?
Jus get ya a full OME lift. you will get 3 overall. theres a whole lot of threads bout the OME lift if u want to look into more.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
drunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sage
drunktaco's Tacoma Gallery
He's right, 6 and 4 inch lift kits (excluding spindle lifts) are different. They're drop brackets and are a lot more in depth to install and practically non-reversible. 3 inch lifts are fine
Old 06-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs.
LukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: luke
LukeBo4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris duby View Post
The only 4" I know about is a spindle lift which is only for 2wd trucks... But for a good 3" lift I would also recommend Toytec as that is mainly what they carry.
dosent procomp have a 4 inch suspension lift for tacomas?
Old 06-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
drunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sage
drunktaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris duby View Post
The only 4" I know about is a spindle lift which is only for 2wd trucks... But for a good 3" lift I would also recommend Toytec as that is mainly what they carry.
RCD is a 4 inch drop bracket
Old 06-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
OME with dakars

/thread
Old 06-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Already stated what's been stated, /thread.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
Should I be looking to drop alot of money on this endeavor? Alot meaning over 1200?? I want to keep it reasonable, but I'm not going to put some trash on my truck though. I really want to fit some 285/75's on there and I know I need to bring it close to three to do that. Problem lies with getting it there nicely while not having crazy issues with the truck later on, and doing it all for a reasonable price tag. Am I smoking the wrong kind of crack or does that sound feasible?
Old 06-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #11
This is where I write something clever
chris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Chris
chris duby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeBo4x4 View Post
dosent procomp have a 4 inch suspension lift for tacomas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunktaco View Post
RCD is a 4 inch drop bracket
I learned something new today then... When I was lifting my Tacoma I couldn't find anything but a 3" or a 6".

Quote:
Should I be looking to drop alot of money on this endeavor? Alot meaning over 1200?? I want to keep it reasonable, but I'm not going to put some trash on my truck though. I really want to fit some 285/75's on there and I know I need to bring it close to three to do that. Problem lies with getting it there nicely while not having crazy issues with the truck later on, and doing it all for a reasonable price tag. Am I smoking the wrong kind of crack or does that sound feasible?
You should be able to get it done for cheaper than that but I always say you get what you pay for.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #12
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
If you plan on a lot of offroading or want a suspension that will feel amazing go with Mid Travel
Old 06-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #13
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
$1200 would buy you OME front to back, without installation. I am sure there are plenty of locals willing to lend a hand for one of our troops though, you don't have to go with OME though, there are cheaper alternatives but I personally think OME is some of the best / toughest stuff you can put on your taco.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #14
Punkindrublic is a glorious beacon of lightPunkindrublic is a glorious beacon of lightPunkindrublic is a glorious beacon of lightPunkindrublic is a glorious beacon of lightPunkindrublic is a glorious beacon of lightPunkindrublic is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Ryan
Punkindrublic's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 3" OME with the rear Dakars and 285/75/R16 tires. I would highly recommend it. It ran me just under $1200 for the lift.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #15
Now are these OME lift kits suspension kit or leveling kits?? Sorry just trying to learn here. That guy really messed with my head. LOL. Also how is the ride, streering, and most importantly, has it messed up anything else on your truck over time?
Old 06-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #16
Punkindrublic is a glorious beacon of lightPunkindrublic is a glorious beacon of lightPunkindrublic is a glorious beacon of lightPunkindrublic is a glorious beacon of lightPunkindrublic is a glorious beacon of lightPunkindrublic is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Ryan
Punkindrublic's Tacoma Gallery
OME is a suspension lift. I personally think it rides better than my stock truck did (I bought mine used so it probably already had some wear and tear, thus making the brand new suspension fell like a better ride). I haven't noticed any drastic difference in steering since I lifted my truck. Also, the lift hasn't messed anything on my truck up.

One other thing to keep in mind if you want 285s, you may need wheel spacers and you will probably have to cut some plastic under your fenders to accommodate the 285s.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #17
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Now are these OME lift kits suspension kit or leveling kits?? Sorry just trying to learn here. That guy really messed with my head. LOL. Also how is the ride, streering, and most importantly, has it messed up anything else on your truck over time?
Ride was great, I ran OME coils (885s) with bilstein 5100 shocks & total chaos UCAs for the front lift, and a 2" AAL on the rear with 5100s. Switched to 886s for weight, OME shocks, Dakar leaf pack and N182 shocks on the rear, ride was still great. You'll probably get vibes post lift but it's expected. Also like he said ^^^ you'll need to trim to fit 285s. After the OME setup I ran kings front & back and if you got the money (well over $2k) that's what I would suggest. Good luck.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #18
So i just went to the shop where I'm having the work done. He told me that he wont do a 3 inch level lift because it takes away too much of the droop on the shocks. He also said he recommends that I do at least a 4 inch because anything 3 and below is horrible for the truck. I am thinking an OME like stated above, and Im pretty sure this dude is trying to take me for a ride. He wants 3400 for the 4 inch. 550 for a 2.25( thats as high as he said he is comfortable going without ruining too much stuff). Let me know what you think. Is he a bull**** artist or is there some truth.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #19
slick566 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: Rick
slick566's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Jason-
I'm in the NYC area and I'm looking to do a lift on my 2010 DCSB when the funds become available. I plan on installing it myself (I'm trying to learn as much as I can here about it). I could give you a hand installing yours if you want. PM me.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #20
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
The 4" is probably all that he's familiar with. If he was familiar with the 3" suspension lift for the tacomas then he wouldn't keep telling you not to do it. Higher than 3" suspension is not recommended but many people run the 3" with out any problems. The guy your working with is a "drop bracket Pusher". Tell him this is what you want, if he can't do it then your gonna take your buisness elsewhere. Also if you watch a couple youtube videos on how to install, I'm sure you and a friend can tackle this. It'll prob save you at least $600 you'd pay a shop to install.