Notices

Ideal / Optimal Lift Height Discussion

Old 06-20-2013, 05:36 AM   #1
bwanamukubwa is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
bwanamukubwa's Tacoma Gallery
Ideal / Optimal Lift Height Discussion

Hello all,

I've seen a lot of really awesome trucks here and it's great to see so much technical know-how there is here.

I've been trying to read up on lifts and that got me thinking: what's the best lift? I know it's an open ended question because everyone likes something else like rock crawling vs mudding vs sand / snow etc..

So what are the best for each case and what is a good all around compromise? Does it always come down to the best being the most clearance and the most wheel travel?

Thanks for your input.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:35 AM   #2
drunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sage
drunktaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have a feeling this is going to turn bad

But I would say the best all around general setup would be a mid-travel with icons, kings, fox's, any good, adjustable, rebuildable coilover really with a nice set of uniball UCA's and a Dakar or all-pro (which I've read can be disappointing) leaf pack for the rear paired up with some good shocks (same brands as coilovers, all make good stuff).

There are a lot of other setups out there such as OME, ect. However I feel that what I said will probably hold true for most people on here although I could be wrong.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:42 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I would tend to agree with Drunktaco. Probably one of the best 'all around' lifts, taking budget and functionality into account, would be extended travel coilovers, replacement leaf pack, good shocks, new UCA's, possibly new bump stops and extended brake lines.

If you're talking money is no issue, then it'd either be long travel or solid axle swap depending on what you plan on doing with the truck.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
bwanamukubwa is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
bwanamukubwa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunktaco View Post
I have a feeling this is going to turn bad

But I would say the best all around general setup would be a mid-travel with icons, kings, fox's, any good, adjustable, rebuildable coilover really with a nice set of uniball UCA's and a Dakar or all-pro (which I've read can be disappointing) leaf pack for the rear paired up with some good shocks (same brands as coilovers, all make good stuff).

There are a lot of other setups out there such as OME, ect. However I feel that what I said will probably hold true for most people on here although I could be wrong.
haha thanks for the warning.. i know there are folks here who have done some extensive wheeling with different setups so i really just wanted some feeback as to what does and doesnt work.

For example, was that 6" lift good for crawling but bad everywhere because the truck felt like it was going to flip?
Old 06-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #5
drunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sage
drunktaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanamukubwa View Post
haha thanks for the warning.. i know there are folks here who have done some extensive wheeling with different setups so i really just wanted some feeback as to what does and doesnt work.

For example, was that 6" lift good for crawling but bad everywhere because the truck felt like it was going to flip?
I've never had a 6 inch lift. But most people say that they aren't good for wheeling due to them being drop bracket lifts and losing ground clearance from it.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:02 AM   #6
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunktaco View Post
I've never had a 6 inch lift. But most people say that they aren't good for wheeling due to them being drop bracket lifts and losing ground clearance from it.
X2 6"drop bracket lifts are more for street trucks lifting the truck that high without adding articulation is not that great off road. Some guys do well and ive wheeled with a few that impressed me. Now 6" on a prerunner with LT and your golden for the high speed stuff.