1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ideal / Optimal Lift Height Discussion

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by bwanamukubwa, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Jun 20, 2013 at 5:36 AM
    bwanamukubwa

bwanamukubwa [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Hello all,

I've seen a lot of really awesome trucks here and it's great to see so much technical know-how there is here.

I've been trying to read up on lifts and that got me thinking: what's the best lift? I know it's an open ended question because everyone likes something else like rock crawling vs mudding vs sand / snow etc..

So what are the best for each case and what is a good all around compromise? Does it always come down to the best being the most clearance and the most wheel travel?

Thanks for your input.

2. Jun 20, 2013 at 6:35 AM
    drunktaco

drunktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sage
    Southwest Va
    Icon ext travel C/O's, Total Chaos UCA's, King R/R shocks, All-Pro leaf pack, lights, RCI skid, Brute Force sliders, ect.
    I have a feeling this is going to turn bad :crapstorm:

But I would say the best all around general setup would be a mid-travel with icons, kings, fox's, any good, adjustable, rebuildable coilover really with a nice set of uniball UCA's and a Dakar or all-pro (which I've read can be disappointing) leaf pack for the rear paired up with some good shocks (same brands as coilovers, all make good stuff).

There are a lot of other setups out there such as OME, ect. However I feel that what I said will probably hold true for most people on here although I could be wrong.

3. Jun 20, 2013 at 6:42 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I would tend to agree with Drunktaco. Probably one of the best 'all around' lifts, taking budget and functionality into account, would be extended travel coilovers, replacement leaf pack, good shocks, new UCA's, possibly new bump stops and extended brake lines.

If you're talking money is no issue, then it'd either be long travel or solid axle swap depending on what you plan on doing with the truck.

4. Jun 20, 2013 at 6:54 AM
    bwanamukubwa

bwanamukubwa [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    haha thanks for the warning.. i know there are folks here who have done some extensive wheeling with different setups so i really just wanted some feeback as to what does and doesnt work.

For example, was that 6" lift good for crawling but bad everywhere because the truck felt like it was going to flip?

5. Jun 20, 2013 at 6:56 AM
    drunktaco

drunktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sage
    Southwest Va
    Icon ext travel C/O's, Total Chaos UCA's, King R/R shocks, All-Pro leaf pack, lights, RCI skid, Brute Force sliders, ect.
    I've never had a 6 inch lift. But most people say that they aren't good for wheeling due to them being drop bracket lifts and losing ground clearance from it.

6. Jun 20, 2013 at 7:02 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    X2 6"drop bracket lifts are more for street trucks lifting the truck that high without adding articulation is not that great off road. Some guys do well and ive wheeled with a few that impressed me. Now 6" on a prerunner with LT and your golden for the high speed stuff.

Products Discussed in

To Top