Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Totally New to the whole Lift and Suspension Scene

Old 06-20-2013, 06:46 AM   #1
dkaz46 is on a distinguished road

dkaz46's Tacoma Gallery
Totally New to the whole Lift and Suspension Scene

Hey TacomaWorld,

So I just got a 2006 2.7l Tacoma 4x4 access cab and would like to do a 2-3 inch lift and new suspension.

However, I have no idea where to begin. I have read the sticky threads and still seem to be clueless. It seems the the Blistein 5100's are a go to choice for suspension, but would these dramatically increase the ride quality over the oem suspension?

Any insight on what products I should look at and where to begin would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Old 06-20-2013, 06:51 AM   #2
drunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sage
drunktaco's Tacoma Gallery
It depends really on the 5100's. when you lift with those or springs you gain lift by stretching out the strut/preloading the spring. Yes you get lift however you lose down travel giving them somewhat of a harsher ride, bottoming out sooner. I have never personally had them but some say the ride can be a bit stiff.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:52 AM   #3
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Go with a full OME setup, it will run you anywhere from $900 - $1,200 but it's extremely well built and the ride is great.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:02 AM   #4

dkaz46's Tacoma Gallery
So like this?
http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/...coma_p_15.html
Old 06-20-2013, 07:03 AM   #5
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
That's a good adjustable kit, and it will get you anywhere from 1.75-3" of lift. Remind you, if you go up to 2.5" or more of front lift you might need new UCAs, it's a hit or miss.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:08 AM   #6
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
This kit would be my recommendation, again you will more than likely need new UCAs as well. Opt for the 885 coils, no diff drop, no top plate spacers, add the Dakar leaf pack minus the stone guards, probably one of the best you can buy for it's value.

Edit: If you get the dakar leaf pack you will need 4 Toyota OEM bushings, Part # 04001-28104 I think they are and they will have to be pressed in (I used some petroleum jelly, a 2x4 and a rubber mallet, lay the mallet on the bushing and hit the 2x4 with the mallet until they go in, worked like a charm).
Old 06-20-2013, 07:10 AM   #7
drunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sage
drunktaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
This kit would be my recommendation, again you will more than likely need new UCAs as well. Opt for the 885 coils, no diff drop, no top plate spacers, add the Dakar leaf pack minus the stone guards, probably one of the best you can buy for it's value.
I agree completely with that. It's a good setup
Old 06-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #8

dkaz46's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome! Thanks for the suggestions. This helped out a whole lot.

How hard is it to install these kits by yourself? Or would taking it to a shop to have it done professionally is my best bet?
Old 06-20-2013, 07:26 AM   #9
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaz46 View Post
Awesome! Thanks for the suggestions. This helped out a whole lot.

How hard is it to install these kits by yourself? Or would taking it to a shop to have it done professionally is my best bet?
I've swapped suspension on my personal truck maybe 4 times, the first time I was leery but there is plenty of info here to get the job done the right way. I'd set aside 2 days start to finish, now I could swap the suspension by myself in probably 2 hours tops, in 100 degree heat.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #10

dkaz46's Tacoma Gallery
Also, how big of a difference will a new suspension have versus the stock suspension? This is my first time changing the ride on any vehicle so am I to expect a complete overhaul on ride quality or merely just a little better?

Thanks once again, the wonderful members of TacomaWorld
Old 06-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #11
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaz46 View Post
Also, how big of a difference will a new suspension have versus the stock suspension? This is my first time changing the ride on any vehicle so am I to expect a complete overhaul on ride quality or merely just a little better?

Thanks once again, the wonderful members of TacomaWorld
I wouldn't say better, I would say on par with. Most people lift to clear bigger tires, if you want a better ride you are better off getting a mid travel set up but it will cost you a good amount (over $2k). Depends on what you want to do with your truck really.