1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheeler's Progressive AAL - HD vs Regular

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by ezatnova, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Jun 26, 2013 at 1:09 PM
    ezatnova

ezatnova [OP] Artax

Member:
    West Chester, PA
    Vehicle:
    21 DC TRD OR - Voodoo
    Wildpeak 265/75/16, Headstrong Progressive AAL, 5100's w Emu 885s
    Searched and read up a lot on Wheeler's AAL, and found some "I like my HD AAL" comments here or there, but, I am trying to get a better understanding of whether standard or heavy duty is best for what I'm trying to achieve.

Truck is a DC OR. Looking to get a mild 1.5-2" lift + 265/75/16 tires and call it a day.

Truck is used a couple times a year to carry a load of mulch, rocks or dirt. Also mild off-roading once or twice a year.

I was planning on ordering 5100's and thought that if I set the front at 1.75" and got something to match the rear lift, that would be ideal. Now, in comes the question on the rear leaf packs.

From my understanding, the standard 3 leaf progressive and the HD version both provide the same lift. Both can also be used with or without the stock overload leaf. This is where I get confused.

Some questions
    - With that standard progressive pack minus the overload, I've read on here that I may be LOSING load capacity? Seems like an unwise decision for me.

- With either standard or HD and KEEPING the overload leaf, will the rear be too high for the 1500's on 1.75" up front? I don't want to get into new springs up front and I'm not going to run them at 2.25" with the stock springs. I want to keep this simple, reliable, and low cost.

- What is the consensus for HD vs standard, for the usage I'm describing? My head is just spinning with the choices of standard/overload, standard/no overload, HD/overload, HD/no overload.

Thanks

2. Jul 6, 2013 at 8:14 AM
    tacojc

tacojc Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TrdOR 4x4
    I'd like to see some feedback on this too. I have a set of the 3 leaf HD's on backorder right now. They told me they recommend the HD version for the double cabs.

3. Jul 6, 2013 at 8:35 AM
    Lipson

Lipson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    '97 T4R Limited
    While you're installing this stuff I highly suggest picking up some aftermarket springs to throw on the 5100s, they're not that expensive and you'll regret not doing it after the fact.

I'm running the regular 3 leaf pack with the the overload and it gives a lot of lift. It ends up being 7 leafs and gave me a rake with 885x springs and OME nitrochargers in the front. I'd leave out the overload.

Since you're worried about losing load capacity I'd go with HD/no overload.

4. Jul 6, 2013 at 8:38 AM
    ezatnova

ezatnova [OP] Artax

Member:
    West Chester, PA
    Vehicle:
    21 DC TRD OR - Voodoo
    Wildpeak 265/75/16, Headstrong Progressive AAL, 5100's w Emu 885s
    Thanks. Ended up getting a good deal on the Icon progressive so I went that route. Hopefully wont regret not going with the wheeler HD
    I'm going to keep the stock springs on the 5100s for now. At least it's an option, to swap them for something else in the future.

5. Jul 6, 2013 at 8:52 AM
    bigtaco06

bigtaco06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Nor-Cal
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DBCB SB
    Floor mats, shorty antenna, brute force hybrid front bumper, ICON stage 3, method double standards, 285/75/16 KM2's, cool stickers
    Can you post a pic when you install and differences in height? I'm looking into the same set up. Thanks- Jared.

Products Discussed in

To Top