Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

5100's Set to 0.85 or 1.75 with TSB??

Old 02-26-2009, 11:43 AM   #1
canuck_tacoma will become famous soon enough
canuck_tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
5100's Set to 0.85 or 1.75 with TSB??

Hi All, Looking for some opinions on where to set my new 5100's. I have a Access Cab 4X4 SR5 with the TSB done and will be putting in 5100's to lift the front a bit. I am running 265/70 Stocks as well.

I would like to go with 1.75, but I have a canopy and a little worried about it being lower in the rear....I like a bit of rake. Also is there any issues with the CV joints/vibration at 1.75? Do I need a dif drop?

I am leaning towards 0.85 because of the canopy weight and liking the rake. Is 0.85 enough of a lift? Those who have it did you notice a visual difference?

Pics would be greatly appreciated, or let me know if you have them in your Gallery and I will take a look. I will toss some pics of mine up once I get it done.

Thanks.

I broke out the jack and did some approx lifts with it.

Stock Height

Approx 0.85 inch Lift:

Approx 1.75 inch Lift:

Old 02-26-2009, 12:19 PM   #2
Muliefever
muliefever has a spectacular aura aboutmuliefever has a spectacular aura about
Coast Guard: First Class Petty Officer
muliefever's Tacoma Gallery
I am doing the same thing. I will be setting mine at 1.75"
Old 02-26-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by muliefever View Post
I am doing the same thing. I will be setting mine at 1.75"
Yeah, the 5100's seem to be the best option for a affordable mild lift.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
visiontacoma is on a distinguished road

visiontacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I set mine at .85 with the rear TSB and still have about the same rake as stock. The rear still looks pretty high but thats how i like it. I have a Dbl cab so you would get more lift from the TSB since yours is an Access cab. But since your adding a topper then it should be about the same rake as mine.
I've noticed with the 5100s at 1.75 and the rear TSB it looks pretty level. Some pictures that I've seen with that setting looks like the front is still slightly higher. So if you still want to achieve some rake I suggest you set your 5100s at .85 and call it a day.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:07 PM   #5
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
what exactly does "rake" refer to?
Old 02-26-2009, 03:18 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
what exactly does "rake" refer to?
rake is describing the back sitting a little higher than the front.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:41 PM   #7
Lifetime Member
CtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CtryBoyInMT's Tacoma Gallery
I also prefer a rake over totally level or rear low.

I went 1.75" and it is 2" lower in the front, but I have 280 Lbs of winch and bumper on mine. Towing a trailer is a bit tail low for me, but it works.
If I were going to go with a just a TSB, which I only got 1" from in the rear after settling, I'd set mine at .85".

More rake is better than butt draggin' in my opinion.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:57 PM   #8
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
so if I wanted to reset my bilsteins up front, would that do anything to the alignment like throw it out of whack? not tryin to jack the tread just figured it was a relevant question
Old 02-26-2009, 04:03 PM   #9
Lifetime Member
CtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

This is a cure all for these 5100 setting questions.
Just park in an empty parking lot and use you jack to lift the front to the desired heights. Take a picture from a camera on a tripod, take them home and see what you like. It's so much preference, I'm just getting tired of these.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:55 PM   #10
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Quote:
so if I wanted to reset my bilsteins up front, would that do anything to the alignment like throw it out of whack? not tryin to jack the tread just figured it was a relevant question
Yes, Any time you make a change to your front end.You should get an alignment.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:37 PM   #11
Quote:
You will have to get the srtut out and have the spring compressed to make the change, just get the shop to do the alignment after it's changed. I think it would only be abut 80 bucks.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:47 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtryBoyInMT View Post
This is a cure all for these 5100 setting questions.
Just park in an empty parking lot and use you jack to lift the front to the desired heights. Take a picture from a camera on a tripod, take them home and see what you like. It's so much preference, I'm just getting tired of these.
I am going to break out the jack, unfortunately it won't address the cv joint angle question. Also the actuall lifts aren't always as they are advertised so I was just looking for some input before I did it. Plus there was only one that I could find who did the 0.85 so I was looking for others that did that setting.

Do you have the 5100's on the truck in the picture with the boat?? Nice boat by the way.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:49 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by visiontacoma View Post
I set mine at .85 with the rear TSB and still have about the same rake as stock. The rear still looks pretty high but thats how i like it. I have a Dbl cab so you would get more lift from the TSB since yours is an Access cab. But since your adding a topper then it should be about the same rake as mine.
I've noticed with the 5100s at 1.75 and the rear TSB it looks pretty level. Some pictures that I've seen with that setting looks like the front is still slightly higher. So if you still want to achieve some rake I suggest you set your 5100s at .85 and call it a day.
Thanks for the input. Did you see a noticable visual difference from stock to the 0.85 lift? What was the actual lift? 1 inch?
Old 02-26-2009, 07:13 PM   #14
Lifetime Member

After reading my post I feel I was a bit harsh. Even if you didn't read it that way. I didn't mean it to be!

I got within 1/8" of the advertised 1.75" and from what I've read, all the height settings are right on par.
The best part of the 5100's are if you do the install yourself, it only takes about and Hr. to change the height on both sides once you know the drill.
I lost an wee bit more than an inch from the winch in the front. Most measurements you'll find (including mine) are measured from the wheel wells. From my opinion, the rear fender is cut higher on the body line and when they are both at the same height, the truck looks tail low.
Also, when you get an alignment, get the Firestone lifetime alignment package. It costs twice as much, but after the second alignment, it's paid for itself. I get mine done quite a bit because I'm stupid and hit things in the fields I drive. Just FYI, don't mention you have any aftermarket parts, they seem to be a little weary of that.

And for the boat picture, thanks for the comment!
I had to look at the original on my computer to see when it was taken, and it was bone stock at that time.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:21 PM   #15
Lifetime Member

Canuck,

After looking at the pics you added to the OP, I still like the .85 setting!
the 1.75 is level in the wells, but when I look at the bed line, it looks slightly low and if you tow a trailer, it'll just weight it down more.
Again, thats all just my pref!! I tow a trailer often, as well.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
Thanks for the input. Did you see a noticable visual difference from stock to the 0.85 lift? What was the actual lift? 1 inch?
There is a definite visual difference. I didnt measure but I would say about an inch of lift. I see that you added pictures now and at the ".85 setting" doesnt look like much of a lift. But also be aware that the front will raise up just a tad bit higher once you get the rear TSB done.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:01 AM   #17
Here's the same but with the Flash which shows a bit more.

Stock with TSB

Sim. 0.85 with TSB

Sim. 1.75 with TSB

Old 02-27-2009, 12:07 AM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtryBoyInMT View Post
Canuck,

After looking at the pics you added to the OP, I still like the .85 setting!
the 1.75 is level in the wells, but when I look at the bed line, it looks slightly low and if you tow a trailer, it'll just weight it down more.
Again, thats all just my pref!! I tow a trailer often, as well.
No worries, I half expected a lot of "use the Search" from people. I am liking the .85 more and more. It does seem like they cut the rear fenders higher to give the illusion of rake even thought the body is somewhat level. If you see the pics I posted with Flash it is really noticable. I like the rake so I will start with the .85 and if it's too low then I will adjust them later. It sits lower when I put the sandbags in, which I usually run with in the winter. I thought it was over so I took them out and it snowed today.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:10 AM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by visiontacoma View Post
There is a definite visual difference. I didnt measure but I would say about an inch of lift. I see that you added pictures now and at the ".85 setting" doesnt look like much of a lift. But also be aware that the front will raise up just a tad bit higher once you get the rear TSB done.
I actually have the 4 leaf pack in and blue/yellow bilsteins all around. If you check out the pics with Flash it is more noticable. I think the canopy lowers it a bit in the rear. Plus I had sand bags in all winter so it may have mellowed the rear springs a bit.

I am going to go with the .85 setting, I like to have some rake in the truck. I am not really into jacking it up, just want to make it more balanced.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:37 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
I actually have the 4 leaf pack in and blue/yellow bilsteins all around. If you check out the pics with Flash it is more noticable. I think the canopy lowers it a bit in the rear. Plus I had sand bags in all winter so it may have mellowed the rear springs a bit.

I am going to go with the .85 setting, I like to have some rake in the truck. I am not really into jacking it up, just want to make it more balanced.
It looks like the canopy lowered the rear more then I thought. The truck sits pretty level with the .85 setting. Do you have anything in the bed when taking those pictures? The reason I ask is because you may be sitting nose high at the .85 setting with load in the bed, especially when you accelerate. To me the stock setting looks better for your application, considering you like the raked look. I thought I ran across a post in a 5100s thread that you still get a little lift at the stock setting from the 5100s.