1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CV BOOT FAILURE SOLUTION!

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by ndcmack, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Jun 26, 2013 at 7:46 PM
    ndcmack

ndcmack [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    NICK
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    BSP 4x4 TRD DCSB
    Not enough
  2. Jun 27, 2013 at 1:51 AM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Just cut the small clamp, pull the boot down the shaft about 1/2 inch, put on a new clamp and the ribs of the boot will never touch.

$5 vs. $2000. Hmm.

3. Jun 27, 2013 at 2:16 AM
    blake5995

blake5995 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Truckee, CA
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 4x4 2.7L
    x2 and just keep replacing them...

4. Jun 27, 2013 at 6:26 AM
    ndcmack

Member:
    First Name:
    NICK
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    BSP 4x4 TRD DCSB
    Not enough

I realize these shafts are the extreme, But it might be the correct choicefor some.

Can you do the boot slide "trick" on inner and outer boots?

5. Jun 27, 2013 at 6:43 AM
    ndcmack

Member:
    First Name:
    NICK
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    BSP 4x4 TRD DCSB
    Not enough
  6. Jun 27, 2013 at 7:02 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    To do this for the boot only it would not be worth it. If your popping CV's left and right and keep buying the stock ones Id say yes RCV's are strong as hell and if you were locked in the front it would be a good investment. They would pay for themselves in a few wheeling trips.

7. Jun 27, 2013 at 8:10 AM
    ndcmack

Member:
    First Name:
    NICK
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    BSP 4x4 TRD DCSB
    Not enough
    Will they allow for a higher cv angle without issue?

8. Jun 27, 2013 at 8:14 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    That's not what they are designed for but they might. They still do have an upper boot and that one rips more then the outer at least on the 1st Gens.

9. Jun 27, 2013 at 8:24 AM
    ndcmack

Member:
    First Name:
    NICK
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    BSP 4x4 TRD DCSB
    Not enough
    The inner boot appears to have far less ribs and spaced further apart, That's what makes me think it would handle a greater angle without rubbing. 2nd gen is what I was looking at. I realize that's not it's intended design, but very likely a bonus.

10. Jun 27, 2013 at 8:34 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah i guess if that's what you want to do. You would have solid CV's that's for sure. But $2000.00 bucks to just have more boot clearance I don't know man it seams like a lot of money. Also lifting more then 3" you might get vibes and you would have less down travel.

11. Jun 27, 2013 at 10:44 AM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First off, I am against the boot slide mod... I know of several guys (including myself) that have done the boot slide mod and it has resulted in the boots tearing prematurely, for various reasons, typically involving the hose clamp used for the mod tearing into the boot after so long. My take on this is that even with the boots rubbing they will last quite a while and it is only $30 for the new cv boot at the dealership and if you have some basic tools, it's not too hard to swap them yourselves.

2nd, on a 1st gen, I think RCV's are a waste of money... It appears that the stub shaft in the ADD is just as weak as the CV axles. If you go to RCV's you will start breaking that stub shaft all the time instead of CV axles and it is a more expensive part than CV's and a lot harder to swap out than a CV axle. Now like Jerry said, if you aren't popping CV axles left and right then you wouldn't have much to worry about, but that also doesn't really justify buying RCV axles. I know of 3 1st gens now that have broke the stub shaft before a cv axle broke. On 2nd gens I have yet to see someone break a stub shaft though, but you also don't see as many CV failures either.

Basically Jerry nailed everything on the head though. The more you lift your Tacoma (without a DB) the less downtravel you have. DB's help fix that a little by lowering the suspension components.

12. Jun 27, 2013 at 10:54 AM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    It seems to be a ripoff when I could just go and buy a new CV axle for cheaper

13. Jun 27, 2013 at 11:00 AM
    BradyT88

Member:
    You mean 30+ CV axles right? haha Guess I should say about 15-16 pairs of CV's for the price of 1 pair of RCV's. Unless we are talking brand new OEM CV's. Then you can get 2 pairs for price of 1 pair of RCV's.

Or even better, 33+ pairs of CV boot kits from the dealership for the cost of 1 pair of RCV axles.

14. Jun 27, 2013 at 11:03 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
  15. Jun 27, 2013 at 11:17 AM
    BradyT88

Member:
    Sorry to be so hateful on this... but if you are just driving on the street or mild offroading and have nothing better to spend $2k on, then go for it. They should do pretty good at not wearing out boots, at least I hope, they do still have one boot on them.

If you are doing more hardcore offroading break CV's often, then installing these will help you not break CV's anymore, but it now puts all that stress on the next weak link, like I mentioned above on 1st gens that seems to be the ADD stub shaft, on 2nd gens it could be that as well or it could be the ring and pinion. Neither of which are exactly easy trail fixes... At least not as easy as a CV axle is.

For me, if I had the $2K to spend on them, I would try them out. I have broke 1 CV so far and it was due to binding at full droop while crawling so these might be a good setup for me since they are a lot harder to bind up. From there I would just hope that if I were in that situation again, that my stub shaft and R&P would hold up (I'm on 33's, so I think they would).

16. Jun 27, 2013 at 12:25 PM
    ndcmack

Member:
    First Name:
    NICK
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    BSP 4x4 TRD DCSB
    Not enough

It's all good. I was never considering buying these, Nor did I say that. I simply asked for thoughts and experiences with them. They struck my curiosity when I happened upon them when looking online to see if anyone is building a high angle cv boot for the 2nd Gen's yet. All thoughts are welcome here.

Products Discussed in

To Top