1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lift or front bumper first?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by coloradoclimber, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Sep 7, 2007 at 6:58 PM
    coloradoclimber

coloradoclimber [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Denver,Co
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 Extra Cab TRD
    My truck is an '04 SR5 V6 TRD extra cab

Looking at this 3” Lift Coil Kit with AAL from toytech (hopefully do it myself, this will be my first, am i missing anything?)

OME3-AL Tacoma 3 $299.98
    2 OME Front lift coil springs 881 or 882
    ToyTec Top plate spacers
    6 top plate studs
    2" lift ToyTec Rear Add-A-Leafs --
    Spring center pins
    BPV Bracket

OME-91s Front OME shocks $219.99
    RS-OME-N85 OME N85 rear shocks (2) $159.99
    TAC-DR Diff Drop $29.99

Total $700 ish

Should i go without the front shocks and keep the trd bilsteins?

at $700ish its comparable to the ARB front bumper, which is also part of the master plan. What should I do first? Im also thinking I dont want to put on the bumper until i have a winch to put on at the same time so double the price.

Maybe I just answered my own question, get the lift done, then save up for the bumper/winch combo and put that on another year down the road.

This will be my first time doing mods to my truck, anything I should be aware of that isnt covered in the typical install guides?

This is my daily driver too, does this look reasonable for something I will drive everyday? Offroading wont be anything too techy, just looking for some confidence on the moderate trails.

Id also like to get some sliders from Slee Off Road sometime down the road.

thoughts?

2. Sep 7, 2007 at 7:10 PM
    kilo

kilo Solo Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 Dbl cab long bed TRD Sport
    custom sliders, 3" Old Man Emu lift, onboard air, custom surf-rod mount, custom bed rack, ARB bumper, Budbuilt fuel tank skid-plate
    go with suspension first. arb bumper is going to drown your front end every time you brake! I'm going thru the same thing.

3. Sep 10, 2007 at 12:14 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    Definately to with the lift before the bumber.... that bumper just wouldnt look right on a stock height truck. As far as the lift... i would keep the bilsteins on the front. I have heard several times that the OME sag after a time. I actually emailed toytec multiple times regarding their lift. they said that for their 3in lift the bilsteins that come wth the TRD is what they would recomend for their lift. if you have any doubts feel free to email them, they are fairly responsive and informative. Long story short, if you have the TRD you dont need to upgrade the shocks unless you are going for more than a 3 inch lift

4. Sep 10, 2007 at 12:48 PM
    coloradoclimber

Member:
    Denver,Co
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 Extra Cab TRD
    Thanks for the info ndcouch, so keep the front bilsteins and get the longer rears?

" ToyTec/OME Coil Kits
    These kits combine our top plate spacers with OME (Old man emu) coil springs for 3” or 2 ½” front lift . These kits offer a softer ride, on and off road, than our other kits with spacers only. Add shocks, diff drop kit, or rear extended brake line to your kit at the bottom of the page.

********** ToyTec Lifts recommends longer rear shocks on all 95.5 - 04 Tacoma trucks ********** "

Itll be awhile yet before I have the $$, c'mon christmas bonus!

OME3-AL Tacoma 3 $299.98 (aal and front coils/spacers)
    RSBIL-R Bilstein 5125 rear shocks pair $169.99
    TAC-DR Diff Drop $29.99
    shipping and handling $35.00
    Tax $14.50

grand total: $549.96

Now im thinking i may get the bilstein 5125 rears.
    Im I missing anything? do i need a rear extended brake line?

5. Sep 10, 2007 at 1:29 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    As far as i understand it you dont need the longer rears unless you just "want'' to get them. Go to Toytec's website and email the techs there. From my understanding the factory suspension works fine, and the TRD bilsteins work extremely well all the way around. I'm no mechanic so dont hold me to that but i think you will want to stay stock TRD all the way around. The only way i would change would be if i were going to do ALOT of SERIOUS offroading but for occasional use, you should be fine. but like i said, contact the tech on the site and get their input. Actually, before you do that just go to the FAQ section of their site, i think they address the shocks there

6. Sep 10, 2007 at 1:36 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    Ok, here's exactly what i got from the techs from Toytec.....

MY ORIGINAL EMAIL...
    Here's the deal. I have an 07 double cab Tacoma 4x4 with the TRD off road package. The reason I got the TRD is because I love Bilstein suspension. I use to own a BMW and had bilsteins on that. I have some experience with putting sport suspension on a car, but this is my first truck and I really don't know what I need to get 2 to 3 inches on my Tacoma. I would like to keep my Bilsteins but don't know if that is possible. I would appreciate it if you could let me know what I need in order to get about 3 inches extra. I would also appreciate a quote for whatever lifts you suggest. I'm looking to buy in the next month or so, and I'd like to get everything figured out now. Thanks for your help

THEIR RESPONSE...
    The most popular lift for your truck is the TAC3-05-AL. It will work with stock shocks. And it is $209.99 plus $18.s/h to 48 states.

Please visit our FAQ page ! The answer to other question's you may have could be here, as well as other good information:

MY SECOND EMAIL....
    What is the difference between the TAC3-05-AL and the OME3-05-AL? Your site says that both of those lifts work with stock shocks, I assume the TRD bilsteins are considered stock? Last question, I was told that when you lift higher than 2in without getting longer shocks, you are almost guaranteed to have problems. Is there any truth to that? (this info came from my friend who is a hardcore jeep off-roader so it may be different with jeeps and Toyota, I'm not sure) Thanks for your help

THEIR SECOND REPLY....
    The website has a description and pictures of what is included in each kit.
    On the front the only longer shocks available are the OME N140s shocks, they are about 1/2" longer. With IFS suspension you cannot use any longer shock or CV boots and axles will have problems. You can add a longer rear shock for more flex but as stated in the earlier email stock shocks will work with the lift.

So after those two emails, i determined that unless you are a VERY serious off-roader factory suspension will work all the way around. You could upgrade teh back shocks for more flex but it is not necessary unless you really think you will need it. Hope those emails helped. Let us know what you decide and how you like it when/if you get the lift

7. Sep 10, 2007 at 1:48 PM
    coloradoclimber

Member:
    Denver,Co
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 Extra Cab TRD
    -thanks, ill definitely shoot them an email before I buy. I want to make sure the stock bilsteins w/OME coils will be able to handle the weight of the arb bumper replacement. Maybe the 882's?

Also, Im not sure of the timeline on this, but Ill be sure and post a report of the modifications with photos!

edit: I read the faq too, thanks. Im learning all this as i go obviously, this site has been great help.

8. Sep 11, 2007 at 7:57 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    dont feel bad, i'm learning as i go too. Hope those emails i copied helped. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. there's a good chance i can't help but i'll give it a shot

Products Discussed in

To Top