1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Most travel with bolt on parts

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by TCprerunner, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Jun 27, 2013 at 9:04 PM
    TCprerunner

TCprerunner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Short version... I am ignorant and could not find or did not understand what I found on what I am looking for... What's a good setup for smooth high speed ride on in maintained roads.

I have been reading the MT thread but keep reading about relocating shock brackets bed cages ect and do t know the words I should be searching to find what I am looking for if someone could help me in the right direction.. Mainly wanting a good setup for high speed on I maintained roads nothing crazy but as much as I can get with only coilovers springs ect.. This is not something I am doing all at ones but I want bigger tires soon and don't want to change any susp. Items and later on find out I would have been better off with something else..

2. Jun 27, 2013 at 9:05 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    What is your budget?

3. Jun 27, 2013 at 9:20 PM
    TCprerunner

Member:
    Not much of one because its going to be a drawn out ordeal I just want to make sure I get the right parts and do t screw myself as I go my shocks at 17k miles are already pretty beat so figured its time to start figuring out what route to go

4. Jun 28, 2013 at 8:03 PM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    Extended travel coilovers (pick a color/best price Icon, King, Fox)
    UCA's (can save by getting balljoints that work with ext travel)
    New leaf pack (if you have a newer truck a 3 leaf aal will work for awhile)
    Rear shocks
    Upgraded rear bump (EVS pyramids, SuperBumps or bolt on hydro's)

This will run you $1800-$2500......that being said, message DSM and SDHQ on here and ask them for package deals!

You can deff get a cheaper package like OME or 5100's but you wanted to know about high speed and those kits can't handle speed well.....it will have it's limits. An adjustable/rebuildable coilover will last you a lifetime of punishment!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  5. Jun 29, 2013 at 5:45 AM
    TCprerunner

Member:
    Thank you sub exactly the info I was looking for to get a starting point!

6. Jun 29, 2013 at 12:33 PM
    SDHQ OFFROAD

SDHQ OFFROAD Cuz Stock Sucks! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    SALES
    Gilbert AZ
    Ya, let me know what your looking for, and we can figure out package or do it in steps over time. If you want to do it in steps, Address your front end first with the shocks and Upper arms (unless you wanna stay under 2.5" of lift, then UCA is not needed, but will still be a big upgrade and give you that extra travel) Then we can do the rear later if the budget calls for it.

7. Jun 30, 2013 at 9:27 AM
    TCprerunner

Member:
    Going to be doing uca first then going to be going with icon coil overs unsure what uca I am going to run i am trying to run as little lift as possible with 33" tires that i can goig to be doing cab mount trimming and whatever else is needed to fit them and stay somewhat low. i have not had time to look much in to the diffrent companys... The joy of working 42 hrs in 3 days parts money! Lol I will be working with y'all with my parts though saying your posts made me decide to go with icon coil overs .. So far I think order of upgrades with me

Uca
    Coilovers
    Rear shocks and bumps
    Then new rear packs

One thing I am not sure on though is shock or spring pack first or am I going to have to do both at same time?

Also what are your recomendations on the control arms I can do the research but just looking for what company's I should be looking In to..

I may look on doing putting together one big order for a full kit if the money saved would be worth it but I would have to wait till the start of next year to do anything if I did that and I have the mod bug..

Sorry for bad grammar I'm at work on my phone browsing at the same time, no time for spell checks and shit

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  8. Jun 30, 2013 at 9:36 AM
    eric3187

eric3187 Well-Known Member

Member:
    while i have a long travel front end, the coil overs i have (King) have the compression adjusters, let me tell ya, it is worth it! on the road i crank them up a bit so it has a nice firm ride that holds the road, off road i open them up a bit and let the suspension move.

9. Jun 30, 2013 at 10:38 AM
    TCprerunner

Member:
    Thanks for the input I will take that in to mind but I do ALOT of driving on dirt and unmaintained roads so a firm ride for the street is not a very high priority for me

10. Jun 30, 2013 at 9:15 PM
    TCprerunner

Member:
    What am I losing if I go with the performance ball joint uca over the 1.25 uni ball? Also the only thing not getting a remote resi is going to affect is shock fade?

I am wanting a extended travel coil over but everything I could find fox had said nothing about extended travel icons did and king had a bunch of selections the only one I was unclear on was " shock length " is this meaning travel or is it the length when not compressed sorry for the ignorance I'm new to this performance suspension thing.

Camburg uca for sure for me because of price just want to see if I will benefit a ton more from the uni-ball or not..

All the options on the coil overs are overwhelming though.. My simple wants/needs are more travel and control at speed over simi roughed terrain that will be somewhat full proof with the setup.. Also I keep seeing them recommending 285 tires on 16" wheels I am planing on running my texas edition wheels with 33" 12.5 bfg t/a's is there a reason this is a bad choice? I am wanting as little lift as possible to clear the tires and do plan on trimming and cutting I want a subtle look but good performance.

Thanks again for everyone's input and help!

11. Jul 1, 2013 at 8:49 AM
    SDHQ OFFROAD

Member:
    First Name:
    SALES
    Gilbert AZ
    If you need to do shocks or springs first, do shocks, Since your stock shock wont be long enough for the AAL or full pack.

As for the UCA. I would look into Icon or TC. Both use FK uniballs. Camburg's arm's are great, the 1.25" uniball technically lasts longer than a 1" just due to surface area, But they also squeek more than the others As Camburg uses Aurora Uniballs. the performace between 1" and 1.25" uniballs on a Mid travel setup are nothing.Other factors limit your travel to what both offer.

A performance BJ may get you the angle you need. but it's still a lot weaker joint than a uniball. The Total Chaos UCA's are $686 before the TW discount. So not really much more than the BJ's and much stronger in the long run.

All of the Kings are extended travel, Fox's are all the same as well. icon is the only one who offers Extended and non. This is done by an internal spacer inside the shock body to limit it's downtravel to not wear a stock balljoint out early. Shock length could mean a few things, Eyelet to eyelet length, or shaft length, travel length, ect..

As for shock fade, you will see fade in the rear before the front. If you plan to do long run's in the whoops, then a resi front and rear will help a ton. But if it's more slow speed, then Non resi up front will be more than enough as it's a 2.5" body shock.

Icon ext. travel coil overs
    TC or Burg or Icon UCA's
    Real AAL
    Rear 2.0 RR or 2.5 RR shocks

For the wheels, what backspacing are those rims, the tire choice is fine, but you really want at least a 4.75" backspaced wheel.

12. Jul 1, 2013 at 11:55 AM
    TCprerunner

Member:
    I will see if I can find the back spacing online if not i will go measure it if I get diffrent wheels I'm going to run 35s if I stay with factory I'm running 33s I am going to go with non resi from and resi in rear I don't plan on much whoops but would like to have them just invade I. Rear from what you have explained makes the most since also I want the strength and that is my main concern so uni ball it is

13. Jul 1, 2013 at 11:59 AM
    TCprerunner

Member:
    Can you figure out the back spacing from the wheels offset? I Lu info I can find shows a +18mm offset

14. Jul 1, 2013 at 11:59 AM
    SDHQ OFFROAD

Member:
    First Name:
    SALES
    Gilbert AZ
    To run 35's your gonna need fiberglass or lot's of trimming at the full 3-3.5" lift

15. Jul 1, 2013 at 12:00 PM
    TCprerunner

Member:
    Then going to stick with 33s lol I don't mind cutting but want to limit it

16. Jul 2, 2013 at 10:02 AM
    TCprerunner

Member:
    Alright my wheels have over 5" of backspacing so good there I think I got a full list is there anything I missed or anything you would recommend changing?image-19_6d374781a1ba296935ccbb0468e2133223d22be4.jpg

17. Jul 2, 2013 at 10:28 AM
    SDHQ OFFROAD

Member:
    First Name:
    SALES
    Gilbert AZ
    That looks pretty good. Be sure to give me a ring here so i can get you at the TW prices.

Also, any reason for the bump?

18. Jul 2, 2013 at 10:32 AM
    TCprerunner

Member:
    Umm I thought I remembered you saying I would need one but now that I'm reading over everything I think I'm crazy and I will for sure! I really wish I could do this all at one time .. I may hold off for taxes and holiday money at the end of the year so I can.. I really want to thank you for all your help though and y'all will for sure be getting my business

19. Jul 2, 2013 at 10:45 AM
    SDHQ OFFROAD

Member:
    First Name:
    SALES
    Gilbert AZ
    No problem! If you do go for one thing first, do the UCA's and Coilovers.

20. Jul 2, 2013 at 11:46 AM
    TCprerunner

Member:
    The plan is uca first for now we will see though

Products Discussed in

To Top