1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fox Performance 2.0 Front Coilover Opinions? Better than 5100's/Eibach?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by lukem, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Jul 1, 2013 at 9:09 PM
    lukem

lukem [OP] Active Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off Road DC 4x4
    Hey everyone, I just picked up a 2013 DC TRD Off Road and I'm looking for a front suspension setup to level things out a bit. The majority of my miles are on road commuting with some weekend bombing around on fire/logging roads. Searching around it seems like Bilsteins with Eibach springs (or possibly OME 885X's) are popular and would fit my needs for my budget. I also ran accros a great deal on Fox Performance 2.0 adjustable coilovers ($590 shipped for a pair) but I don't see a ton of info or reviews around for these. Does anyone have any experience with these or have any opinions on which setup would be better? Does anyone know what the spring rate is on the Fox setup? Any insight or opinions you could send my way would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Jul 3, 2013 at 11:26 AM
    Jeffsdeere

Jeffsdeere Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma DC4wd
    BAMF Sliders All Pro Rear Bumper 5100's @.85
    I have looked at these in the past but wasn't able to find any reviews on them. Also not to sure if they make these in an extended travel version. What I did like about these is that they are adjustable to level the front at any height you want. I saw a thread a couple days ago about profender making a 2.0 shock also. It looks a little beefier than the fox 2.0. To many choices and I'm really not to sure there is any wrong choice. Where did you find them for $590?

3. Jul 5, 2013 at 11:23 AM
    lukem

lukem [OP] Active Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off Road DC 4x4
    Thanks for the reply. I ended up pulling the trigger on a set. I've always liked Fox products in the past. I actually got the price down to $562 on a set after a rebate. I put a post up on it here -

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/de...il-overs-562-w-free-shipping.html#post7121759

4. Jul 5, 2013 at 12:51 PM
    petro55

petro55 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Inverness, IL
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport 4x4
    Fox Performance 2.0, Icon Extended length rear, Dakar(3rd leaf removed).
    I just ordered a set of these for front. Icon for the back with dakar leaf springs. I got everything from downsouth motorsports, I won't have a chance to install for a couple weeks but I will post a review for them.

5. Feb 23, 2017 at 10:29 AM
    bilplat

bilplat Simply Driving Into Mordor

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 White A/T 4x4 TRD OR DCSB
    ARE Hard Top
    Hopefully I get a response here...

What's adjusting these like? It doesn't appear that the preload adjustment ring has holes for a spanner wrench. It almost appears that they only have ridges around the outer diameter. Could you get a crescent wrench secure on there? As much as I hate using a crescent wrench for tasks like this, sometimes you gotta wing it. Alternatively, can you adjust it by hand? Maybe when there's no load on it (disassembled)?

6. Feb 23, 2017 at 10:49 AM
    Larueminati

Larueminati Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western MA.
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD 0FF-ROAD
    You have to put them on a H frame press and compress the spring to turn the adjustment ring. Theirs a youtube video of a guy doing it. They're aluminum bodied so supposedly if you turn the adjustment ring without taking the load off of the springs it will strip the threads, i've read of this happening.

I personally like that their aluminum, hopefully they will hold up during my northeast winters and heavy road salting.

7. Feb 23, 2017 at 11:07 AM
    bilplat

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    ARE Hard Top
    Thanks for the response! Stripping the aluminum while under load was part of my concern. I've heard of guys adjusting their preload without disassembly with other higher end coilovers, such as the BOSS, Icon, and 2.5 Series Foxes. I'm guessing this is not recommended as all of these are aluminum-bodied as well.

So the only gain over shocks like Bilstein's 5100 and 5160 (besides overall quality) is that they are continuously adjustable, instead of having discrete steps? It seems to me that disassembly before adjustment is recommended in either case.

8. Feb 23, 2017 at 11:26 AM
    Larueminati

Member:
    Western MA.
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD 0FF-ROAD
    I'm thinking those other coilovers you mentioned are alloy bodied, the 2.5 fox's are 4130/4140 I believe which is high carbon content material and will rust but it's alot stronger than aluminum.

In regards to what your gaining over the Bilstein's, I can't attest to anything performance wise but I got my 2.0's in the mail this week and they're head and shoulders above how the 5100's/6112's are constructed. Every piece is machined and threaded, the bottom shafts are BIG and the shaft/eyelit is all machined from one piece. Not knocking the bilstein's but they just use tubing and weld endcaps, a shaft and an eyelit to it and call it a day, not saying that it's any less strength than what the fox's are but you can see where the extra money you paid went with the fox's. Very good fit and finish on the fox 2.0's.

That being said, I haven't installed them yet so I have no comment on the functionality.

9. Feb 23, 2017 at 11:37 AM
    bilplat

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    ARE Hard Top
    I was just trying to talk about adjustability when comparing to the Bilsteins, not performance (there's already too many threads on that).

Specifically: the differences in adjustability of a threaded shock and the adjustability of a shock that uses steps and a retaining ring (Bilsteins are just one example of such). When I first started getting into aftermarket shocks, I thought that a major advantage to the threaded shocks was that you could adjust them while they were on the vehicle using a spanner wrench, unlike the stepped shocks that would definitely require disassembly to adjust. But then I learned that you can damage the threads if trying to adjust under load (as you pointed out), so that major advantage was reduced to being able to adjust to whatever level you liked, not just limited to four or five settings.

10. Feb 23, 2017 at 11:40 AM
    Larueminati

Member:
    Western MA.
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD 0FF-ROAD
    Yup, you are correct. You're getting sold short on that feature with the 2.0's, can't adjust them on the truck. I still went with them, they come set at 2" of lift so hopefully I never have to adjust them. Believe me it was definitely a consideration when deciding between them and the 6112's. I wanted progressive valving aswell.

The only adjustability + over the bilstein's is you don't have to disassemble the whole coilover with a spring compressor, however you still need to drop the $150 on the H frame press or find someone that has one. Well that and the fact you can set the 2.0's where you need them rather than the predetermined steps. Either way the whole coilover is coming out of the truck to make adjustments.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  11. Mar 19, 2017 at 4:02 PM
    Soccerdallin

Soccerdallin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dallin
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 3.4L V6 4X4
    Magnaflow exhaust w/ tip, 18" Rockstars, AEM CAI, TB Spacer, Billet Grille, Limo tint, LED tail lights, 20,000k HID headlights + Blue LED strips, debadged, Jl Audio Subs in custom box, 6X8 speakers with tweeters, sony deck.
    Just had Fox 2.0's put on my 1st Gen. Made such a difference! Got a little lift out of it too so. The bolts were so rusted I had to take it in to get them installed. Put Billstein 4600 on the rear myself, but it's like driving a brand new truck! IMG_20170318_113327_1.jpg

12. Mar 24, 2018 at 8:42 AM
    Mavrick

Mavrick Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSBOR
    Ive read that you can't adjust these on the truck, same as the 2.5 but many are doing it on the 2.5 without taking the coil over out. My question is, is it possible to adjust the 2.0's on the truck if I lift the front and let the wheels hang, use lube and go slow? My plan is to start high and lower them down because its easier to release tension then to add. Do I have a chance at making this work or am I screwed, do you really HAVE to take these off to adjust them? If so that is total BS and completely defeats the purpose of a coilover, WTF why do they make crap like this?

Products Discussed in

To Top