Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

5100's with 884 Coils

Old 07-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #41
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedTaco View Post
Yeah you are totaly right! I forgot about that. That is the same reason I wasn't able to put a OME spring on my truck.

I am already in that thread and it's not too bad now that more people are seeing that it is better than just a 5100 setup.
I wonder if those trd baja springs would work on Icons. You wouldn't happen to know the inner diameter of the springs would you? Or even the diameter of the baja bilstein shock? I know king 650lb 14" springs can be used on icons, but a red spring would be sexy on some Icons
Old 07-16-2013, 05:01 PM   #42
ATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to behold
Navy:
Name: Tom
ATHiker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dand View Post
Is that 1/4" spacer only on the front drivers side suspension, or was something done to the rear to even that up also?
The 1/4" spacer was only on the front drivers side. Supposedly it gives about 1/2" lift in front and some in the back (not sure how much).
Old 07-17-2013, 07:38 AM   #43
TacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
TacoBurrito07's Tacoma Gallery
as stated earlier

and where in tennessee are you??
Old 07-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #44
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
I wonder if those trd baja springs would work on Icons. You wouldn't happen to know the inner diameter of the springs would you? Or even the diameter of the baja bilstein shock? I know king 650lb 14" springs can be used on icons, but a red spring would be sexy on some Icons
The inside diameter is 3"
Old 07-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #45
The Anti-Bling
TheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Theo
TheosTaco's Tacoma Gallery
How is the ride with the 5100/885 combo?
I am contemplating on going this route because I'm not wanting to spend the money on Coilovers(even though they are very tempting)
Old 07-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #46
bzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the rough
bzzr2's Tacoma Gallery
why not just buy full ome front and run the trim packer? i run the 884x's on my reg cab this way with a steel bumper, sliders and the 1/4 inch top plate spacers, they ride very well!!
Old 07-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #47
FORE!
parboy will become famous soon enoughparboy will become famous soon enough

Name: Brian
parboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSG665 View Post
Would like to see your pics after lift,thx..
Sorry it's taken so long, but I finally had a chance to clean the truck and snap a few pics. This is with 5100's on all 4 corners, fronts set at zero. OME 884x springs, and toytec 1/4" spacer on drivers front. Wheels are XD addicts 17x9 and tires are Nitto Terra Grapplers 265/70/17. Had to remove the front flap thingy inside the fender well and used a heat gun to reshape the inside portion of the mudflaps.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #48
802Tacoma is on a distinguished road
802Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
What are all of the different measurements of the 5100's. Just curious
Old 07-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #49
All I Do Is Nguyen
gym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
gym_jamz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by parboy View Post
Sorry it's taken so long, but I finally had a chance to clean the truck and snap a few pics. This is with 5100's on all 4 corners, fronts set at zero. OME 884x springs, and toytec 1/4" spacer on drivers front. Wheels are XD addicts 17x9 and tires are Nitto Terra Grapplers 265/70/17. Had to remove the front flap thingy inside the fender well and used a heat gun to reshape the inside portion of the mudflaps.

Looks good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 802Tacoma View Post
What are all of the different measurements of the 5100's. Just curious
You have 4 settings. 0" 0.85" 1.75" & 2.50"
Old 07-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #50
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.nguyen View Post
You have 4 settings. 0" 0.85" 1.75" & 2.50"
Should only use 0 or 0.85 with 884's
Old 07-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #51
All I Do Is Nguyen
gym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Should only use 0 or 0.85 with 884's
Correct. Thought he was asking different 5100 settings
Old 07-29-2013, 01:46 AM   #52
Rizzy has a spectacular aura aboutRizzy has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jeff
Rizzy's Tacoma Gallery
I have a couple, maybe dumb, questions. What's the reasoning for the 1/4" spacer only on the drivers front? Did you do anything to the rear suspension other than the 5100's? AAL or anything?

I have the same truck (DCSB Sport), just a 2012, and currently have 5100's on just the front set at 1.75. I've been considering changing to OME's on the front and setting the 5100's to 0 so I wasn't preloading the springs, but not sure if I should get 883's, 884's, or 885's. Also didn't know if I needed to do anything to the rear besides also switching to 5100's.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:27 AM   #53
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzy View Post
I have a couple, maybe dumb, questions. What's the reasoning for the 1/4" spacer only on the drivers front? Did you do anything to the rear suspension other than the 5100's? AAL or anything?

I have the same truck (DCSB Sport), just a 2012, and currently have 5100's on just the front set at 1.75. I've been considering changing to OME's on the front and setting the 5100's to 0 so I wasn't preloading the springs, but not sure if I should get 883's, 884's, or 885's. Also didn't know if I needed to do anything to the rear besides also switching to 5100's.
Have you ever measured your fronts? The Tacomas have what is commonly referred to as a "taco lean" where the driver's side sits a litte lower than the passenger side because there's more weight on that side. The reason for the spacer on the driver's side is to counteract this.

885s are the springs recommended for double cabs and should get you about 2.5" of lift, may settle down a little, but you definitely get more than the 2" that OME says you will get.

For the rear, you'll want to add about 1.5" of lift at least I would think but if you like the way it is now then I guess not. If you're at 1.75 on your 5100s I would think your front is sitting higher than the rear. If you like how it looks then just 5100s and you're good.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #54
FORE!
parboy will become famous soon enoughparboy will become famous soon enough

parboy's Tacoma Gallery
As bjboucher stated, the 1/4" spacer is to correct for the taco lean. Not really needed unless you change the front springs as the stock springs do a slight correction from what I read.

I went with 884's because based on my measurements, I only needed 2" to level the truck. Mine has the 4 leaf rear, so if yours only has 3 you may need to add a leaf to the rear to get it level if you go with new front springs. On mine, I just did a direct swap of the rear shocks.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #55
Rizzy has a spectacular aura aboutRizzy has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jeff
Rizzy's Tacoma Gallery
Ah, makes sense on the spacer, thanks!

As far as the 884's or 885's, I'm really only looking to level the truck, at least for now. It sits mostly level now with the fronts at 1.75, but I can still see the front is a little higher than the back, just barely, and it does bug me a little. I have the 4 leaf rear, which is standard with 4x4 sport models so I think I'll just do the 5100's rear, 884's in the front. Unless some of you think 885's would be the better way to go for leveling.

Once I've worn the current tires out (BFG Rugged Terrain 265/70/17) then I'll probably go with a 3" lift and bigger tires.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #56
All I Do Is Nguyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzy View Post
Ah, makes sense on the spacer, thanks!

As far as the 884's or 885's, I'm really only looking to level the truck, at least for now. It sits mostly level now with the fronts at 1.75, but I can still see the front is a little higher than the back, just barely, and it does bug me a little. I have the 4 leaf rear, which is standard with 4x4 sport models so I think I'll just do the 5100's rear, 884's in the front. Unless some of you think 885's would be the better way to go for leveling.

Once I've worn the current tires out (BFG Rugged Terrain 265/70/17) then I'll probably go with a 3" lift and bigger tires.
You will definitely be nose high with 884s. 885s will give you ~2.5" lift and you're gonna have to do something your rear . I would just wait til your 265 tires wear out and go with 885s. Saves you money by buying one set of coils, rather than two. Just my .02
Old 08-22-2013, 01:36 AM   #57
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.nguyen View Post
Just for reference, this is what 5100s set at 0 with 884 coils and 1.5" TSB AAL looks like.

And from far away.
LOVVEEEEE this setup man. I am planning on going with 884s + non-TSB 1.5"AAL in the rear on my DCSB. I know everyone has their reasons, but what made you go with the billies instead of the OME shocks with the OME coils? You didn't add a spacer on the driver side to compensate for the "lean" right?
Old 12-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #58
casey oc is on a distinguished road
casey oc's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone have experience running the 5100's with the 885's and stock UCA's? Able to align to within factory specs or close?
Old 06-16-2014, 05:07 PM   #59
Burghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burghlar's Tacoma Gallery
Just had my lift installed this past weekend. Alignment is in spec with very little vibrations. Overall stiffer ride than my stock OR springs, but in a good way. Much less body roll in corners and less nose dive when braking.

Front: 5100s + 884 coils w/ .25" driver's side trim packer (stock UCAs)
Rear: 5100s + Wheelers 1.5" progressive AAL (non TSB, overload left in) + OME Carrier Bearing drop

Before and after with same 265/75 DuraTracs

I basically got 2.25" up front and 2" in the rear

Side - Before - After
FD - 19 7/8 - 22 1/2
RD - 21 5/8 - 23 1/2
FP - 20 1/4 - 22 5/8
RP - 21 1/2 - 23 1/2
Old 06-22-2014, 10:30 PM   #60
GIJohnnyB is on a distinguished road

Army: 4th Infantry Division
Name: Johnny
GIJohnnyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by parboy View Post
As bjboucher stated, the 1/4" spacer is to correct for the taco lean. Not really needed unless you change the front springs as the stock springs do a slight correction from what I read.

I went with 884's because based on my measurements, I only needed 2" to level the truck. Mine has the 4 leaf rear, so if yours only has 3 you may need to add a leaf to the rear to get it level if you go with new front springs. On mine, I just did a direct swap of the rear shocks.
To clearify. If I do the 5100's with the stock springs I shouldn't have to worry about the 1/4" spacer to correct the "Taco lean"?