Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

5100's with 884 Coils

Old 07-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
ATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to behold
Navy:
Name: Tom
ATHiker's Tacoma Gallery
5100's with 884 Coils

I have a 2013 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4 and am adding 5100's and AAL. My plan is to set the front 5100's at the 1.75 setting. If I go with the 884 coils and set the 5100's at 0,with this give the same lift as the 5100's set at 1.75 with the stock coils? Will I notice a significant ride improvement by going with the 884's with the 5100's set at 0?
Old 07-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
885 are the recommended coils for a double cab. I got about 2.5" of lift from them with the OME shocks. Not sure what the 5100s will net you. You should see a decent ride improvement using the OME coils because you won't be pre-loading the spring.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
ATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to behold
Navy:
ATHiker's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the reply. I think I want to keep the lift 2" or less.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
885 are the recommended coils for a double cab. I got about 2.5" of lift from them with the OME shocks. Not sure what the 5100s will net you. You should see a decent ride improvement using the OME coils because you won't be pre-loading the spring.
X2 ^

I'm running 5100s and 885s and am at almost 3"...but I have a PreRunner so you'll be at 2.5" ish
Old 07-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
the risk is worth the reward
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
mattmxracer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
Thanks for the reply. I think I want to keep the lift 2" or less.
I have an access cab with 884 and 5100s and I got 2.25 in of lift without a 1/4 spacer. 885s are 10mm longer than the 884s so if I were you I would go with the 884s and 5100s. Will ride nice and should put you right at 1.75 to 2 inches. Double cabs are heavier than my access cab though
Old 07-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #6
Navy:
ATHiker's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like the 884's will give me about the same lift as the 5100's set at 1.75" with stock coils.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #7
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sounds like the 884's will give me about the same lift as the 5100's set at 1.75" with stock coils.
Maybe a little more based on what i have seen others get. Should be around 2"
Old 07-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #8
All I Do Is Nguyen
gym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
gym_jamz's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 12' Prerunner and 5100s and 884 coils gave me 2". You have a 4x4 so you should be a little lower, 1.75-2". 884s will give you a better ride than 5100s at 1.75 because you're not pre-loading the coils.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #9
Navy:
ATHiker's Tacoma Gallery
One more question. Should I go with the OME 884's or Elbach coils. I think the 884"s will give me just a little more lift. Otherwise, would there be any difference in ride / performance?
Old 07-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #10
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
From what i've read, the Eibachs will be stiffer. Especially over the 884s.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #11
All I Do Is Nguyen
gym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
One more question. Should I go with the OME 884's or Elbach coils. I think the 884"s will give me just a little more lift. Otherwise, would there be any difference in ride / performance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
From what i've read, the Eibachs will be stiffer. *Especially over the 884s.
884's spring rate is 590 and Eibach's spring rate is 620. Higher the number, stiffer it is.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #12
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't over-think this. Either eibachs or 884s will work fine and provide you roughly 2" of lift. I love how folks are predicting how much lift you'll get within 1/4" It's not that exact of a science and depends on how much optional equipment plus add-on-junk is in your truck, not to mention how worn your original shocks and springs were before you made the swap.

Anyhow, as far as the ride goes: "Better" is a personal thing. The stiffer springs will provide a more "firm" or "connected" ride. They will definitely ride better over harsh large bumps that caused the original suspension to bottom out and hit the bumpstops. But over ordinary expansion joints on the freeway, the softer factory springs will probably feel milder.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #13
Navy:
ATHiker's Tacoma Gallery
I have read where OEM coils are not recommended for use with the 5100's, but as I understand it, many are using them. That is why I am also considering the Elbachs. I already have the 5100's.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #14
Navy:
ATHiker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.nguyen View Post
884's spring rate is 590 and Eibach's spring rate is 620. Higher the number, stiffer it is.
Can I just calculate the percent difference between 590 and 620 and say that the Elbach's are 5% stiffer?
Old 07-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #15
All I Do Is Nguyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
I wouldn't over-think this. Either eibachs or 884s will work fine and provide you roughly 2" of lift. I love how folks are predicting how much lift you'll get within 1/4" It's not that exact of a science and depends on how much optional equipment plus add-on-junk is in your truck, not to mention how worn your original shocks and springs were before you made the swap.

Anyhow, as far as the ride goes: "Better" is a personal thing. The stiffer springs will provide a more "firm" or "connected" ride. They will definitely ride better over harsh large bumps that caused the original suspension to bottom out and hit the bumpstops. But over ordinary expansion joints on the freeway, the softer factory springs will probably feel milder.
Quote:
Can I just calculate the percent difference between 590 and 620 and say that the Elbach's are 5% stiffer?
As Steve said, every truck is different when it comes to exact lift measurements. Stiffness IS a personal thing. I know some guys who prefer stiffer rides because it's a "truck" and I know some guys who prefer softer rides because they're use to driving "luxury" cars.

Is 5% THAT much of a difference to you? Only you can determine that. In the end, you can't go wrong with either ones. Both options are better than spacers and blocks.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #16
Navy:
ATHiker's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the replys
Old 07-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #17
FORE!
parboy will become famous soon enoughparboy will become famous soon enough

Name: Brian
parboy's Tacoma Gallery
I also have a 2013 DC SB sport 4x4. I went with the 884 springs and 5100's and got right at 2" of lift in the front. I did use the toytec 1/4" spacer on the driver side as well. Ride doesn't really feel any different to me vs. stock ride. I am very happy with the look. I also just moved up to 265/70/17 terra grapplers and have a tiny bit of rubbing on the mud guard. There is a little bump area inside the wheel well where the guard attaches and that is where it is rubbing. Am going to hit it with a heat gun and try to flatten it out and that should solve the issue.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:58 AM   #19
FORE!
parboy will become famous soon enoughparboy will become famous soon enough

Name: Brian
parboy's Tacoma Gallery
5100's are set at zero, just using the 884's to get the lift in front. I just used 5100's in the rear as well, straight swap out of the stock shocks. Just wanted to level the truck out. I don't have any updated pics in my profile, but will add some soon to show the new look.