1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3 Inch Lift Questions...

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by bluewave, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Jul 6, 2013 at 8:10 PM
    bluewave

bluewave [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Tacoma
    I just got my new 2013 4WD Access Cab SR5, and went with Dirt Logic 2.5 Coilovers on the front and and Dirt Logics on the rear... I think they put a 2" block on the rear with Micky Thompson Baja STZ's 265/70/r17's on 17x9 rims

It seems a lot of guys have done 3" lift and 33x12.5's without going to a 6" inch lift. I'd like to get rid of the block and get AAL's by the shop I use says it will stiffen the ride...

I would also like to go with 33x12.5's without cutting or going with the 6" lift...

Any suggestions appreciated....

Thee's some pics on my build page http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/285323-2013-access-cab-sr5-4wd-bluewave.html

2. Jul 6, 2013 at 8:50 PM
    Mainmoe02

Mainmoe02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    Yeah an AAL will be stiff but blocks cause axle wrap, from what I've heard and researched. Personally, I would pick an AAL over blocks any day. Another option, since your leaf springs are still new, is longer shackles. If you put 2" longer shackles you get 1" of lift. So, you have better options than blocks.

Why did you have them put blocks, when you paid good money for the coil overs? If you have the $ it's better to do things right the first time. If you can, you should just get new leaf springs(ride quality and lift), or the next best thing would be the 3 leaf AAL and since your leaf springs still have some life left this wouldn't be a bad idea to gain 1.5" of lift on the rear. Just whatever you do, take the block out, it'll make your stock springs wear out quick causing negative arch.

33's with a 3" lift shouldn't be a problem, few have had to do a little trimming but nothing major. Maybe need new UCA's?

3. Jul 7, 2013 at 11:06 AM
    bluewave

bluewave [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Tacoma
    Thanks for the input...I have to rely on other's advice for this kind of stuff, but with all the help here I'm learning fast. There's a couple of offroad shops here, but they pretty much want to sell you what they carry, so there's always a conflict of interest about what is best for you or what is best for them... I'm afraid they sold me more than I really need, and it didn't occur to me until later that I probably could have ordered everything online and still saved money in spite of shipping, and hired any good mechanic to do the work...

In all fairness the owner of the custom shop here is a great guy and lot's of experience, but still the cost of shipping to Hawaii is high so everything is marked up...we call it the "paradise tax".

Cost of a Dakar AAL or similar is doable, so I will go with that, guy at the shop steered me away from that. Good news is they said if I really wanted the 33's they would not charge me for the extra work... ...

The amount of clearance needed in the front is small, we actually fitted a 33 on there to see, I'm trying to avoid 6" and cutting....What will new UCA's do?

4. Jul 8, 2013 at 10:18 AM
    Mainmoe02

Mainmoe02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    Oh I see. Well gong with new leaf packs would be best. Next best options would be AAL. I understand how the local shops want to sell what they have. I went through the same thing when researching my suspension. All the shops I went to offered spacer lifts, except 4wheel parts, but their prices were crazy high for a crap lift. I went ahead and ordered springs and shocks separate and did the Coilover assembly myself. For the rear I have the Dakar springs, they lifted my 1st gen about 2.25" on the rear end.

Make sure you get the clearance you need. If you mount a tire while its on a lift or jacked off the ground then its gonna fit. The issue is making sure when the weight of the car is sitting on the suspension are you gonna have clearance? Also when your turn, will it rub? I would say you prob need to get atleast 2.5" lift upfront to clear 33's. but have them mount 33's on and see if you can test it out.

New aftermarket Upper Control Arms (UCA's) will give you the stability needed to keep the alignment, especially with bigger tires. If you can, get the lifetime alignment so that way you can go get an alignment whenever needed. It's usually about $30 more for the lifetime alignment and its well worth it.

I researched the cost of shipping some stock coil springs to a guy in Hawaii. It was insane the amount shipping costs are. It was like triple the amount of the purchase price.

Good luck! Post pics soon!

Products Discussed in

To Top