Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Crappy ride

Old 07-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
matt1381 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
matt1381's Tacoma Gallery
Crappy ride

I have a 2005 DC and have bilstein 5100s all around, OME885, and all pro 3 inch rear leaf and I can feel ever bump on the road. I have a pretty bouncy ride most of the time. Any ideas why that's happening? Tires re 285 75 16 toyo open county. I even tried the stock wheels and tires and the ride was the same.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
It's the lift......that's what they do, they stiffen up the suspension. Makes it nice offroad but can suck at times on the street. Has the ride quality recently changed? If so, shocks fading/blown or springs are toast. Check your air pressure too. The more air in the tires the firmer the ride. I keep mine in the low 30's......may be time for a better coilover up front and rear shocks?
Old 07-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1381 View Post
I have a 2005 DC and have bilstein 5100s all around, OME885, and all pro 3 inch rear leaf and I can feel ever bump on the road. I have a pretty bouncy ride most of the time. Any ideas why that's happening? Tires re 285 75 16 toyo open county. I even tried the stock wheels and tires and the ride was the same.
Info says 884

Is ur aal a progressive?

Spring perch isn't upside down?

Standard 5100 in the rear?
U could be topping out if so... They are good for 1.5" supposedly..... But even at stock height the shocks are not long enough and limit droop
Old 07-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
Token
Fluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fluffymonkey's Tacoma Gallery
I had the 884s (same spring rate just a shorter spring) and it was rougher than stock for sure. It honestly took a while to grow on me and I hated it when I had to drive on crappy roads because I felt like I was getting my salad tossed. You're achieving lift through the higher spring rate. I noticed my ride softened after I put a tool box and sliders on because of the extra weight. That being said, i'm sure it'll grow on you as it did me; it's just such a big change from the plush stock ride if you're not expecting it.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
What's your tire pressure?
Old 07-22-2013, 01:20 AM   #6
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
it's a truck. they come with crappy rides from the factory. never meant to be nice and comfortable, it was meant to be able go anywhere and everywhere.

but that being said, I can almost bet it's the combination of your OME coils and Bilstein shocks. they are not meant to be put together and I can attest that my 5100/881 combo isn't the nicest ride ever. I'd try changing your shocks or coils and see where you stand.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:23 AM   #7
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have the 5100s set at zero or are they on one of the pre-load settings? With the OME coils you should only have them set to 0.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
matt1381 is on a distinguished road
matt1381's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 885 as I upgraded from the 884 that had about 50,000 and 7 years on them. I also took out the add-a-leaf and switched the the all pro leaf pack. I have the correct 5100's for the rear and not the stock ride ones. When I had the 884 and add a leaf the ride was better than it is now but I'm not going back to that. I do have the shocks set at 0. My tire pressure is set between 30 and 32 and I check that weekly. The ride just always seems bouncy to me. Guess I just need to get used to it.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Load range on tires? I just switched from 885s and nitrochargers to icons for the same reason, it rides much smoother now.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #10
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Biscuits View Post
it's a truck. they come with crappy rides from the factory. never meant to be nice and comfortable, it was meant to be able go anywhere and everywhere.

but that being said, I can almost bet it's the combination of your OME coils and Bilstein shocks. they are not meant to be put together and I can attest that my 5100/881 combo isn't the nicest ride ever. I'd try changing your shocks or coils and see where you stand.
Same setup as what I had and it sucked. I got rid of the 5100's and got home nitrochargers and it was night and day difference.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #11
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
Same setup as what I had and it sucked. I got rid of the 5100's and got home nitrochargers and it was night and day difference.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #12
The Anti-Bling
TheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Theo
TheosTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
Load range on tires? I just switched from 885s and nitrochargers to icons for the same reason, it rides much smoother now.
So, you're saying that Icon Coilovers will have a smoother ride than the Bilstein 5100/OME 885 combo on street?
Old 07-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #13
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheosTaco View Post
So, you're saying that Icon Coilovers will have a smoother ride than the Bilstein 5100/OME 885 combo on street?
Yes. Billies are cheap stock replacements.

Icons/Kings/Fox's are the real deal.
I miss my kings so much . Rode like i was on a cloud
Old 07-23-2013, 11:16 PM   #14
sodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant future

sodoscott's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah check ur tire pressure ! Huge diffrence
Old 07-24-2013, 03:08 AM   #15
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes without question. Smoother on and off road for sure.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:25 AM   #16
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I just switched from 885s and nitrochargers to icons for the same reason, it rides much smoother now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post

No way around it!
Old 07-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #17
The Anti-Bling
TheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Theo
TheosTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes without question. Smoother on and off road for sure.
Gotcha. Thank goodness I didn't order the 5100/885 setup then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
Yes. Billies are cheap stock replacements.

So, now the question is....King or Icon Coilovers.
Damn, this is getting too expensive...
Old 07-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #18
Cuz Stock Sucks!
SDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SDHQ OFFROAD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Gotcha. Thank goodness I didn't order the 5100/885 setup then.

So, now the question is....King or Icon Coilovers.
Damn, this is getting too expensive...
Icon will have the better on-road ride over the Kings due to their valving specs. If you were a race truck, i would tell you king.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #19
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
check tire pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
What's your tire pressure?
tire pressure??????
first check.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #20
ระดับอาวุโส สมาชิกอาวุโส
dYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dyl0n
dYL0n's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1381 View Post