1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help With Leaf Springs and Towing

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by hellsbay, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Jul 21, 2013 at 11:57 AM
    hellsbay

hellsbay [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner TRD OR
    I have a 2013 DC TRD OR with an Icon stage 4 lift. I took out the overload spring like it says in the Icon instructions and added their leaf. When I hook up my 3500# trailer, the back end sinks about 3-4 inches. Do I put the overload spring back in or is there another solution? I would like to keep the slight rake that I have now but do not want to increase it. I think my tongue weight on the trailer is about 350-400#.

By the way, my left rear Icon shock is leaking after putting 100-200 miles on it. No off road yet for this truck! I just noticed this today after crawling under to look at springs.

[​IMG]

2. Jul 21, 2013 at 12:01 PM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    The leaking shock is a warranty item from Icon or the vendor, but here is your real issue...

Soft off-road suspension is not that good for towing heavy trailers. Somewhere you have to make a choice.

Stiff rear suspension is good for towing, after towing in my '11 access cab I had the extra leaf put in under the TSB.

Howard

3. Jul 21, 2013 at 1:15 PM
    raycie

raycie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB / 2016 4R Trail
    In need of $$$
    What about putting in some timbrens or airbags for when you tow??? Timbrens will kick in after an inch of sag... I love mine...

4. Jul 21, 2013 at 5:56 PM
    hellsbay

hellsbay [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner TRD OR
    I never heard of Timbrens. Can it be that easy? Sounds a lot easier the airbags.

5. Jul 21, 2013 at 6:03 PM
    MPW

MPW Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Virginia
    I'd love to see some opinions on Timbrens Suspension Enhancement System. The only one I could find here said it was fine while towing but when unloaded there is a solid bump as the Timbrens hit the frame, making the unloaded ride uncomfortable.

6. Jul 21, 2013 at 6:33 PM
    raycie

raycie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB / 2016 4R Trail
    In need of $$$
    Super easy... just replaces your current bump stops.

I love mine.... there shouldn't be a "bump" unloaded unless you set up your height wrong. The manufacturer advises to set @ 1" when unloaded. When you have a load, they make contact and do what they are supposed to do... when I first set up mine with stock leafs and aal, I had them touching the frame as I have a a snugtop camper... I will admit that unloaded (only camper) I would have a hard bump over speed bumps... since changing out to dakars, I now have them at the 1" (with camper on) and have zero complaints over any bumps...

Set them right and I think you have no problems....

Products Discussed in

To Top