Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Should I Tackle 5100 Swap?

Old 07-26-2013, 06:09 AM   #1
Assimilated
On An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
On An Island's Tacoma Gallery
Should I Tackle 5100 Swap?

I have my height-adjustable 5100s in the garage. I'm wanting to do the swap myself, but my auto-wrenching (that sounds bad ) experience stops at plugs, hoses, oil changes, thermostats, etc. I have all the stands and tools except for the spring compressors and I don't have a problem getting a good set of those. However, I've seen the videos of the compressors failing and flying all over the neighborhood and now I'm wondering if it's worth the risk. Should I give it a try?
Old 07-26-2013, 06:15 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I'd tackle the install yourself but, if it were me, I'd take the old coilovers and the new 5100's to a shop and have them swap the springs over. They have much larger spring compressors and could do it in a matter of minutes.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
MichelinMan
teamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

teamhypoxia's Tacoma Gallery
Easily done by yourself without the need for any dangerous spring compressors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkVLBOnAifc
Old 07-26-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
Assimilated
On An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I'd tackle the install yourself but, if it were me, I'd take the old coilovers and the new 5100's to a shop and have them swap the springs over. They have much larger spring compressors and could do it in a matter of minutes.
Thanks Pugga, that's a good idea. 22,000 posts!? When do you have time to drive your Taco?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamhypoxia View Post
Easily done by yourself without the need for any dangerous spring compressors.
Unfortunately my torque wrench only goes up to 75 lbs. I'm way short of the 100+ needed.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
MichelinMan
teamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by On An Island View Post
Thanks Pugga, that's a good idea. 22,000 posts!? When do you have time to drive your Taco?

Unfortunately my torque wrench only goes up to 75 lbs. I'm way short of the 100+ needed.
Doing everything except compressing the coils will not absolve you from torquing the knuckle bolts or cam adjusters
Old 07-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
Assimilated

D'oh. Good point. New torque wrench to come....
Old 07-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Old 07-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
MichelinMan

After putting my lift on like the video, I honestly don't know why anyone would do it any other way. Spring compressors scare me.

Toyota makes a really good spring compressor. It's pretty expensive, but then we already own one.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #9
fenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nice
fenderpicks's Tacoma Gallery
Oh boy, so much work!?!?!?
Old 07-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #10
Assimilated

After watching Mr. Hypoxia's video another time, I think I'll try that method. More to follow. . . .
Old 07-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #11
Assimilated

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderpicks View Post
Oh boy, so much work!?!?!?
Yeah, but that's half the fun.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #12
MichelinMan

Quote:
After watching Mr. Hypoxia's video another time, I think I'll try that method. More to follow. . . .
Just to clarify. It's not my video. In fact I believe it was created by another member here a while back. I'm grateful he made it as it really made my install a breeze.
Another friend of mine did his own install the same way with the same great results.

The springs do store a great deal of potential energy that could ruin your day so this should be attempted with caution. I personally believe the risk to be less than what there would be with spring compressors though.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #13
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
I made the video.

PM me if you have questions or need help.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #15
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
Only thing I can add is...
-Work on as level ground as you can
-Align the knuckle and LCA up before trying to threading the bolts into the knuckle (If not working on level ground)
-Not needed, but for my situation, if I had another pair of hands to push the knuckle down, I would have not cross threaded and stripped my knuckle...

Think that was my only problem using this method, other than that, works great..
Old 07-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #16
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
I never remove or loosen the knuckle or LCA bolts. Just watch out for the speed sensor lines and you will be fine...
Old 07-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #17
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfs257 View Post
I never remove or loosen the knuckle or LCA bolts. Just watch out for the speed sensor lines and you will be fine...
If you don't disconnect the LCA from the knuckle/spindle, how do you have enough room to drop the shock out. (using the video method??)
Old 07-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #18
Assimilated

A wrench was thrown into the plans (not a torque wrench, either). I forgot that several weeks ago I'd volunteered to help the sis-in-law put new baseboards in her house. I've been tearing out old ones today, and getting/cutting/installing new stuff tomorrow. Oh well, next weekend.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:00 AM   #19
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by raycie View Post
If you don't disconnect the LCA from the knuckle/spindle, how do you have enough room to drop the shock out. (using the video method??)
The most i have ever done to get more play in there is the UCA to spindle bolt...
Old 07-29-2013, 04:28 AM   #20
thewallane is on a distinguished road

thewallane's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd thanks for the video ddd