Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Upgrading performance with no lift?

Old 07-27-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
TCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TCprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Upgrading performance with no lift?

I have been searching for awhile and have not came across much anyways other then a coil over. What options are there for upgrading off road performance more speed oriented then crawling? I'm set on a mid travel still but It's over kill for what I need it/want it for and I am not wanting any lift and don't really need the extra travel I just want better off road performance.. Mostly high speed fire road type stuff with some pretty deep wash outa and ruts 6-12"s in some places .. Just brain storming while I don't have the money to buy anything
Old 07-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Smaller tires?
Old 07-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #3
TCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
Smaller tires?
? Not sure if serious?
Old 07-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #4
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
More travel = better performance. Only other option is coil overs. YOu arent really going to get high speed performance with no added travel or coil overs.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
More travel = better performance. Only other option is coil overs. YOu arent really going to get high speed performance with no added travel or coil overs.
Like I said I am still planning on going mid travel just brain storming while waiting around with no money.. I mean there has to be better performing struts, springs and leafs that maintain factory ride hight right? I'm not saying for going out and hitting dunes or desert runs.. Anyways I guess my confusion is where the performance comes from? On mid travel, I know the big gains are travel but you only gain what, 1" of droop? I know it is a big deal but why does so little do so much? If there is a suspension and how it works for dummy's that explains all this please by all means point me in the right direction lol
I am just trying to understand why I need a mid travel rather then just " because the cool kids are doing it "
Old 07-27-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
MT you gain no travel unless you go to an aftermarket UCA. And all the MT guys are running coil overs.

A normal shock works by fluid and compressed gas. and the fluid is ported thru a hole at a specific rate. Add a Coil to that and now you have all those working together. Depending on your spring rate. The more travel just means your shock can work for you longer. In some applications you can tune at different strokes of your shock. Also shock fade is something to consider. With a larger shock or coil over, or especially with an external reservoir, you get more oil. Which allows your shock to remain cooler when being worked hard.

Don't waste your money on anything else, just save for MT. You can run MT at no lift if you so desire, but at that point you might as well adjust the c/o to give you some ground clearance.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:57 PM   #7
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCprerunner View Post
? Not sure if serious?
You want speed you say, no need for clearance, smaller tires are like a regear.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Long Travel
Old 07-28-2013, 05:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
MT you gain no travel unless you go to an aftermarket UCA. And all the MT guys are running coil overs.

A normal shock works by fluid and compressed gas. and the fluid is ported thru a hole at a specific rate. Add a Coil to that and now you have all those working together. Depending on your spring rate. The more travel just means your shock can work for you longer. In some applications you can tune at different strokes of your shock. Also shock fade is something to consider. With a larger shock or coil over, or especially with an external reservoir, you get more oil. Which allows your shock to remain cooler when being worked hard.

Don't waste your money on anything else, just save for MT. You can run MT at no lift if you so desire, but at that point you might as well adjust the c/o to give you some ground clearance.
Im going to be running the tc uca, icon 2.5 extended travels up front.. I guess I am not wording things right I am not trying to be talked in or out of mid travel just wondering what kind of upgrades are out there for someone who wanted to stay away from coil overs..
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
You want speed you say, no need for clearance, smaller tires are like a regear.
I think you are reading the wrong thread... Lol pretty sure re gearing tire size ect have nothing to do with suspention performance...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 View Post
Long Travel
Have 10k I can have?