1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OME vs. Toytec

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by edgerat, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Aug 7, 2013 at 8:27 AM
    RockDr

RockDr Member

Member:
    Mesa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Sport 4x4
    DDM HID, AFE S
    That's the kit. Took me 3.5hrs to install, no need for an alignment yet.

I got to take it down a couple desert roads yesterday with some gnarly washouts and I was more than impressed. It felt so smooth, rear flexed very well and the front felt stable with minimal rubbing on the 275/65/18 AT3's.

2. Aug 7, 2013 at 3:47 PM
    Chakraj

Chakraj Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD SPORT v6 auto 4x4
    Badgers, I don't need no stinking Badgers.
    Toytec, and total chaos UCA, and dakar rear leaf packs, thats my vote.

Its funny, I was just talking to a friend at work, saying I can not understand how anyone can buy a new car and then just leave it generic like it came from the factory.... I mean how can you not make it like you want it, higher, lower, softer, harder, faster......... What kind of human being can just drive what everyone else has?

I can not understand that mentality at all, is there something wrong with those people? Maybe they are "special" or is the PC term "Automotive deficient".......

Oh well, I guess the world takes all kinds. lol

3. Aug 7, 2013 at 6:39 PM
    edgerat

edgerat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    Brown Tacoma
    gas and oils
    The thing I like about your experience is you didn't do UCAs, and the ride isn't noticeably different than stock. I come from being in a diesel Dodge with Carli suspension for the last several years and the stock suspension is so atrocious on the Dodge that anything is an improvement but, smooth, quiet and take the edge of any square-edge bumps. I was looking at doing ICON coilovers with a new leaf pack and TC UCAs but, it is a bit more "serious" than I was thinking. The OME seems like a great option right now.
    Isaac

4. Aug 8, 2013 at 9:47 AM
    RockDr

RockDr Member

Member:
    Mesa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Sport 4x4
    DDM HID, AFE S
    I was in the same position as you are now about a month ago. I've read the suspension threads to depth and it didn't take long to see OME is usually the top rated package. I wanted a 3" lift but wasn't willing to sacrifice geometry and quality of the alignment requiring arms. Those are for a future endeavour but right now what I got is more than I was going to be happy with.

5. Aug 8, 2013 at 9:53 AM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    You prob won't notice the difference between OME and Toytecs......Icons? Now that's another story!

6. Aug 13, 2013 at 8:38 AM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    He's happy with the quality of ride and just wants a little lift. Doing so will more often times than not firm things up a bit and ultimately impact the handling characteristics of the vehicle.

Perfect is ones interpretation over another’s, Toyota does what they can to fulfill all needs and various uses. If he's happy with the way it rides, IMO why mess with it just to get a little more lift he probably doesn’t need. This is all I'm trying to say and am not saying it’s a perfect truck.

7. Aug 13, 2013 at 8:45 AM
    1stacoma

1stacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM SR5 DCSB 4.0
    5100's front and rear, front 2.5" rear 2" AAL, 18% tint front and rear, color matched grill. SCS wheels 275/70/17 BFG AT KO's. DTRL toggle switch.
    To fit 285's your probably going to need 2.5 - 3 inches more than just leveling... not sure if I read the OP correctly. You will probably have to do some trimming / cutting. I would say go OME I have billys at 2.5 and my ride is not all that good.

8. Aug 14, 2013 at 1:59 PM
    edgerat

edgerat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    Brown Tacoma
    gas and oils
    Looking at TC UCAs, King 2.5s and either a new pack in back or a helper pack. The Kings will give me the ability to change out spring rates to find the sweet spot I am after. It may be a 600# coil instead of the stock 650# offering but, we shall see!
    Thanks!

9. Aug 15, 2013 at 10:24 AM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    Coils are more for height/weight support, compression and rebound adjustments will tune things in the most over swapping coils. In other words get the COs valved to your liking. Though this is more of a trial and error thing when doing this right.

Only now you will have spent big dollar for shocks designed around performance even though you won't really use them. TC UCAs are great, but here again you are moving way towards performance switching to uniballs. Along with this change comes maintenance too, so keep this in mind.

It sounded like you were just wanting a little lift and now you are going big. Nothing wrong with doing this, but sometimes folks let their wants get in the way of their needs and in the end theres often regrets for doing so.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  10. Aug 15, 2013 at 10:34 AM
    Gaunt596

Gaunt596 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Central Maryland
    Op, one thing ive noticed more than anything that seems to save the CV's is limit straps. these prevent the CV's from locking up when the suspension goes to full droop (like when you jump off a sand dune). ive seen multiple members install these and then have no further problems with CV's. just my .02

Products Discussed in

To Top