1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OME vs. Toytec

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by edgerat, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Aug 5, 2013 at 8:25 PM
    edgerat

edgerat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    Brown Tacoma
    gas and oils
    Just brought home this little dreamboat. I have owned a LOT of trucks in my 35 years but, this is my dream truck, it has every option I wanted, the color I want and everything else. However, it isn't level, and I want larger tires (285/75/16 Toyo ATII). So, the question is, if I am after leveling, whilst allowing for a slightly larger tire and BETTER ride quality than the stock off-road suspension(if that is possible, I am really surprised how good the stock suspension is!). My plan is to do a diff lowering kit and whatever else recommended to keep the CV boots in good running order. I don't want to ruin the ride or handling, I want better suspension and will pay whatever it takes to get that. My usage for the truck is largely on the highway and forest fire roads that have some big potholes and washboards and light trail running.

Thanks!
    isaac

[​IMG]

2. Aug 5, 2013 at 8:35 PM
    SABAJA

SABAJA Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    13 Baja TX edition
    Congrats on the truck. I'm doing a lot research right now into lift kits, and the pro's and con's and supplemental mods that are required to keep everything else within spec. There are some stickies in the suspension forums if you haven't seen those yet.

So far I've read good things about OME and Toytec both around the forums. But I'm probably just going to raise my rear end a little since the Baja's already have a little front end hike.

3. Aug 5, 2013 at 8:47 PM
    magnetic11

magnetic11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    "some nuke plant"
    Vehicle:
    11 trd sport
    Fab fours front and rear bumpers, B.A.M.F. weld on rock sliders, softopper, removed mud flaps and D-Badged everything. Icon 2.5 Extended Travel coil-overs, Total Chaos upppers, 2.0 Icon extended travel shocks with the resi's and Dekar Leaf packs.
    If I had it to do all over, I would have saved up and went icon or better. I'm not a 100% impressed with my toytec ultimate lift kit. Haven't really had the chance to do any off roading but I would say the street ride is a lot rougher than I would have thought. I did every up grade option with this kit beside the rear reservoir shocks because I really didn't think I would need them. But there is so much info on here about these two lift options. Good luck.

4. Aug 5, 2013 at 9:11 PM
    edgerat

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    Brown Tacoma
    gas and oils
    That is my fear, spend a grand or more and ruin the ride! :(

5. Aug 5, 2013 at 9:17 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    I'm loving my OME setup. I would stay away from Diff Drops, read up on them more for the second gens.

6. Aug 5, 2013 at 9:55 PM
    magnetic11

magnetic11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    "some nuke plant"
    Vehicle:
    11 trd sport
    Fab fours front and rear bumpers, B.A.M.F. weld on rock sliders, softopper, removed mud flaps and D-Badged everything. Icon 2.5 Extended Travel coil-overs, Total Chaos upppers, 2.0 Icon extended travel shocks with the resi's and Dekar Leaf packs.
    Why would you say to stay away from the diff drops?

7. Aug 6, 2013 at 4:42 AM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    General consensus on 2nd Gen is they do nothing. You should read up on them too.

8. Aug 6, 2013 at 5:32 AM
    GhostDog86

GhostDog86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Chimayo/Santa Fe
    Vehicle:
    DCSB TRD OR
    Remove mudflaps, Plasti dip badges/ lower val/ and grill, Plasti dip wheels, 5% tint all around, Tinted tails and 3rd, 55w driving lights in rear, Blue LED light strip in bed, Blue LEDs in cab/ cup holders...
    I have had both the OME(885) and Toytec ULK on my 2nd gen and Drop Bracket lift on other trucks. OME is definitely firmer whereas Toytec is softer. I personally prefer Toytec as the ride both on and offroad is better than the OMEs ever were.

But I do plan to upgrade to Icon or King sometime and I should have just saved the money gone big in the beginning.

As for Drop Bracket lifts I have had great success with them in the past and I know there are others wheeling their 2nd gens with success as well. There are a few 4in choices and many 6in but if your only looking at 285s then stay away from the 6in it'll just look goofy with 285s.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  9. Aug 6, 2013 at 5:33 AM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    Do you mean Drop Bracket lift?

10. Aug 6, 2013 at 5:38 AM
    GhostDog86

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Chimayo/Santa Fe
    Vehicle:
    DCSB TRD OR
    Remove mudflaps, Plasti dip badges/ lower val/ and grill, Plasti dip wheels, 5% tint all around, Tinted tails and 3rd, 55w driving lights in rear, Blue LED light strip in bed, Blue LEDs in cab/ cup holders...
    Ya... tomayto tomahhdo

Wheres my coffee at.:rolleyes:

11. Aug 6, 2013 at 6:01 AM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ok. I think the OP is referring to a Diff Drop to change angles to reduce vibes. Again general consensus is they are pointless.

12. Aug 6, 2013 at 6:11 AM
    GhostDog86

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Chimayo/Santa Fe
    Vehicle:
    DCSB TRD OR
    Ah, just reread the OP I see what were talking about.:)

13. Aug 6, 2013 at 6:51 AM
    edgerat

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    Brown Tacoma
    gas and oils
    How about if I do a set of Kings or SwayAways, won't I need a spring like 885s in order to get the "lift" out of it?

Thanks for all the responses thus far!

14. Aug 6, 2013 at 6:55 AM
    Monster Coma

Monster Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Pittsburgh, PA/Houston, TX
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    No Kings and Sways use a different size coil.

15. Aug 6, 2013 at 7:11 AM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    You want the best possible ride, leave it stock and deal with the smaller tires.

16. Aug 6, 2013 at 7:19 AM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    Because Toyota used the "perfect" combination of parts to have the best possible ride? Just like the placment of the rearview is "perfect", perfectly in my way and makes driving dangerous for me (ImMrYo mirror relocate bracket fixed toyotas mistake). There would not be a market for aftermarket parts if toyota made this truck perfect.

My OME front suspension and OME rear shocks with OMD chevy leaf refurbishing is the best ride I've gotten out of my truck. Could it be better probably, but that would not be the stock crap I took off.

Besides Stock suspension and tires will not have the best ride for OP's uses.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  17. Aug 6, 2013 at 7:20 AM
    Monster Coma

Monster Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Pittsburgh, PA/Houston, TX
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    Matter of opinion. My foxes ride nicer than stock

18. Aug 6, 2013 at 1:42 PM
    jaymac10

jaymac10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kelowna, BC
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    OEM Baja Kit
    Look at the OEM TRD Baja setup! After a lot of research, I chose this one over all the others.

There is a bit of "group think" on this forum regarding OME/Toytec. No doubt it's a good setup, but there are certainly others worth looking into!

Can't wait to get mine installed...

19. Aug 6, 2013 at 2:07 PM
    RockDr

RockDr Member

Member:
    Mesa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Sport 4x4
    DDM HID, AFE S
    After driving mine completely factory for 56k, I had a good feel for how it compared to when I recently added the full OME 885 package with 1.5" AAL. Surprisingly I find it to feel very similar in comfort with the new suspension. A little more stiff but not at all like I had imagined it would be after seeing the new front shocks and springs. After two weeks, new wheels and tires (275/65/18) and again changed the feel making it even more smooth. Overall I believe it feels more positive and still has that nice ride. I'll be looking to test the offroad manners a bit more this weekend.

20. Aug 6, 2013 at 2:37 PM
    Natestheboss

Natestheboss Find me somewhere between Seattle and Montana

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Fox Ultimate Lift w/Total Chaos UCA, TRD Wheels, 285/70/17 Duratracs

Is this the package you got?
    ToyTecLifts:confused: