1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Weight questions for OME coils and leafs

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by RMtacoma, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Aug 20, 2013 at 2:15 PM
    RMtacoma

RMtacoma [OP] Adenture Taco

Member:
    Frisco, CO
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport
    So I just got back from a wildfire assignment and have some money starting to burn a hole in my pocket. I have been researching lifts for my 2005 Access cab Tacoma for awhile now. I am thinking of finally pulling the trigger.

Most of my research has been based on the awesome input from folks on this forum. I am looking for a moderate lift to increase the height and durability of my suspension on the truck. It is very much still going to be my daily driver, but it has also become our weekend adventure vehicle for camping, climbing and exploring.

Based on those I am pretty set on the OME kit. Great ratings from a lot of TW members. I spoke with a local off road shop who supplies the parts and will do the labor and after talking to them I had some reservations and questions about what the final decision should be.

Though I cannot afford it now I would like to add bumpers to the truck in the future. I already have a Softopper and sleeping platform on the bed of the truck. This weight alone has more than flattened my rear leaf springs and it takes very little movement to hit the bump stops.

My initial plan was to do the 886 coils up front and the Dakar packs with the AAL in the rear. I was told that using that setup without weight on the truck immediately is not good.

I was told to get the 885 coils with the Dakar packs.

So my question is, is there any reason I should still go with the 886 and Dakar with AAL (or even the All Pro expedition Packs), or will the lighter setup still give me the 3 inches I want and able to hold more than just the weight of the truck?

Thanks for the advice, This is the first lift and I would like to do it right the first time.

2. Aug 20, 2013 at 2:21 PM
    CanisLupus

CanisLupus Member since 2011

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Stokesdale | NC
    Vehicle:
    ‘19 Honda Civic Hatchback
    I would opt to get the 886X's the first go around. The ride might be a little stiff in the front without any weight, but if you're going to add bumper/winch/skids later, you might as well get the 886X's.

Then again, if it will be a good while until you get the bumpers, etc, then I would go for the 885X's. You would just have to buy the 886X's when you start adding more weight. ($160 new)

Weight Ratings:
    - 884X: 590#
    - 885X: 590# + 10 mm longer
    - 886X: 660#

Matt

3. Aug 20, 2013 at 2:35 PM
    RMtacoma

Member:
    Frisco, CO
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport
    Matt, This might be a stupid question but are those ratings in addition to the weight of the vehicle or with the weight of the vehicle included? If so do you know what the weight per strut is for the Tacomas?

4. Aug 21, 2013 at 8:12 AM
    CanisLupus

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Stokesdale | NC
    Vehicle:
    Yes, those numbers are just how much each coil spring is supposed to handle safely. (I should have labeled them as "Spring Rates" not weight rating, per say) I don't know about your second question, but the 884's are considered a "light-duty" coil for no additional weight in the front, 885's are a "medium-duty" coil for a little bit of weight in the front, (possibly just a plate bumper in the front with no winch) and 886's are a "heavy-duty" coil for plate bumper/winch/skids/etc in the front.

886's are the strongest coil you can get with the OME setup, and the only other coil's that are stronger are the 700# coils like Icon and King have for their coilover's.

Matt

5. Aug 21, 2013 at 11:14 AM
    RMtacoma

Member:
    Frisco, CO
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport
    Awesome thanks for the info. I saw you have the 885 on your truck with a bumper. Have you had any issues with them sagging? How do you like the AAL?

6. Aug 21, 2013 at 4:21 PM
    CanisLupus

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Stokesdale | NC
    Vehicle:
    I did notice some sagging, but that is because my bumper is on the heavier side (about 135# with the Line-X). I added the Top Plate Spacer Kit (1/2'') from Toytec and gained that amount back so I'm sitting pretty level with the Toytec 1.5'' AAL and my Toyota TSB AAL. The AAL is pretty nice for lifting, but it is not for weight carrying. I sag pretty easily in the rear when I carry loads.

And that is why my next suspension setup will be Icon 2.5'' Ext. Travel 700# coilovers with TC uniball UCA's, and Icon 2.0'' Ext. Travel rear shocks and the All-Pro Expo leaf pack in the rear.

Matt

7. Aug 21, 2013 at 4:55 PM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    I'm running 885s and my bumper/winch dropped me to only about 1.5" of lift in the front. When I add skids this coming spring I am going to swap out my 885s for 886s
    If you havent checked out this thread, check it out. Tons of good info in there.
    OME mega thread.

8. Aug 21, 2013 at 5:08 PM
    muddyt4r

muddyt4r Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Nashville, NC
    Vehicle:
    1995 Taco, Reg. cab, 4wd of course
    Been BASICALLY stock for 18 years/193,000 miles. NOW it's MINE...
    I'm kinda in the same predicament. I want a moderate lift for my 1995 taco (enough to fit 33s or so; probably 2-4 inches). I ALSO pull a lawn care trailer day in and day out. It weighs about 2500-2700 pounds or so (250-300 tongue weight). I need something that will support that load without sagging too much, but not ride like crap when I'm unloaded (or relatively so) burnin down fire roads and the highway. Any recommendations?

9. Aug 21, 2013 at 5:09 PM
    muddyt4r

muddyt4r Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Nashville, NC
    Vehicle:
    1995 Taco, Reg. cab, 4wd of course
    Been BASICALLY stock for 18 years/193,000 miles. NOW it's MINE...
    I'm also planning on adding an aftermarket bumper. full replacement, not a bull bar. possibly adding a winch later.

10. Aug 21, 2013 at 5:48 PM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    Dakars should fit your bill.
    I'm not sure on coils for the first gens.

11. Aug 21, 2013 at 6:16 PM
    RMtacoma

Member:
    Frisco, CO
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport
    Thanks for all the info everyone. Think I will go with the 885 up front for now and if I need to add the spacer kit in the future. With what I am spending on the whole kit plus UCA and the other accessories I am at least a year out if not more from adding any bumpers or winches. Will get it posted on the build page when it is all done.

Products Discussed in

To Top