Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

bilstein 5100 bushing / gap / clunk help!

Old 08-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
aldoraine is on a distinguished road

Name: evan
aldoraine's Tacoma Gallery
bilstein 5100 bushing / gap / clunk help!

So I decided to go ahead and install by bilstein 5100's (on stock TRD coils) in my truck this week, and I ran into an issue. On the way home I heard a clunking noise coming from the driver side. I checked it out when I got home and noticed about a 1/4" gap on the strut rod between the waser, and the top nut.

I took the whole assembly out of the truck and took it to a local body shop, and they swapped the new struts onto my old coils for me (They have a bench mount compressor). It's a friend of mine and he didn't charge me so I don't want to call back and complain, but it seems like it's missing a bushing. Is there supposed to be 2 bushings up top? Maybe there was supposed to be one under the top hat? I didn't get a chance to see the old ones disassembled so I have no clue what the bushing /washer arrangement is.

There is only a gap on the drivers side, and the passenger side looks normal, so what happened?

Also, are my spring perches on upside down?

I'll attach pics of both sides for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
bilstein 5100 bushing / gap / clunk help!-2013-08-22-14.27.01.jpg   bilstein 5100 bushing / gap / clunk help!-2013-08-22-14.26.52.jpg   bilstein 5100 bushing / gap / clunk help!-2013-08-22-14.27.13.jpg  
Old 08-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
One washer and bushing on top, and one washer and bushing on the bottom. Something is not right on that one side.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
spark4 is on a distinguished road
spark4's Tacoma Gallery
I know there is a metal spacer in the shock cover, if you opted not to use them that might be the problem. I didn't want to use the cover so I popped the metal spacer out and slid into place.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #4

I supposed I'll go rip it apart and see what it looks like, I'll post back in a bit once I have it all torn apart. Local parts store doesn't stock strut bushings, so I ordered 2 sets of sway bar bushings, they look to be about the same size. Looks like I'm definitely missing something.

EDIT: Dan, just noticed you are from Wheelers, which is where I got my billies! You guys don't stock a bushing kit do you?
Old 08-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #5
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
We do. It is $20 and covers both sides.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #6

Hey Dan, I wasn't able to get the assembly apart with the spring compressors I had. I went ahead and ordered a set of your bushings and I'll take them back up to the body shop that took them apart the first time. Do you think it will damage the strut in any way to leave them as they are? I won't be driving the truck at all until its fixed, It will just be sitting.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #7
Dan

YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Just sitting, it should be fine.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaDan View Post
Just sitting, it should be fine.
Awesome, thanks for your replies, I appreciate it.

Since I didn't see the disassembly of the old struts, I am unsure of the order / position of the bushings and the rubber top perch. Anyone have some guidance / Diagram for this?

Does It go something like this?

(PIC ATTACHED)

EDIT: After more searching, found a picture from a use.
Says it goes in this order LEFT ---> RIGHT = BOTTOM ---> TOP

Hope this helps others!
Old 08-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #9
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
This is a common problem.

People either forget to install a steel washer on the shaft that goes below the top plate

OR

People decide not to use the black plastic dust boot that goes over the shock shaft. This boot has a small metal spacer in it. If you don't want to use the boot that's fine, but you need to use the metal spacer that is inside the plastic.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:10 AM   #10
colbyrainey is a jewel in the roughcolbyrainey is a jewel in the roughcolbyrainey is a jewel in the rough

Name: Colby
colbyrainey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD View Post
This is a common problem.

People either forget to install a steel washer on the shaft that goes below the top plate

OR

People decide not to use the black plastic dust boot that goes over the shock shaft. This boot has a small metal spacer in it. If you don't want to use the boot that's fine, but you need to use the metal spacer that is inside the plastic.
So i read that the dust cover was optional, so I did not put them on. I just saw this post and went and grabbed the covers and pulled the spacer off. Do I really need to take it all apart and install these? I'm getting conflicting information in researching...

FWIW I'm at 1.75" lift.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:49 PM   #11
Total Automotive Performance
Chas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chas
Chas of MRT's Tacoma Gallery
These should help, diagram that shows how it all goes together.

Download Installation Instructions
Old 10-19-2014, 02:31 PM   #12
colbyrainey is a jewel in the roughcolbyrainey is a jewel in the roughcolbyrainey is a jewel in the rough

Name: Colby
colbyrainey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas of MRT View Post
These should help, diagram that shows how it all goes together.

Download Installation Instructions
Got it, thanks.