1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A few questions re: spindle lift

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by TMtaco, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Aug 28, 2013 at 1:38 PM
    TMtaco

TMtaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DC SB Timberland Mica
    billys @1.75
    So I've been running my billys since Dec. (1.75) and have to say I'm pretty impressed so far. Only thing is...now I want to go bigger. Ive been doing research on spindles and it looks like I'll be going Maxtrac 4". Since my rear leafs are starting to sag I'm going to skip the blocks and aal's and just do the AP expo pack with new billys for 3-4" lift. my current confusion is with the spacers/backspacing needed to clear the new spindles. i know i would need spidertrax at 1.25," but I've also read that my stock 16" rim will not work with the spindles (even with the spacers). is this true? also I've read that the balancing weights can sometimes be in the way as well on the 16" rim. Im pretty fond of the stock wheels (not a chrome or black rim kind of guy), so I would like to keep them if possible. Finally, I installed my billys on my own (first mechanic experience) and it wasn't bad at all, just a learning experience and probably slower than most on here. With that said...Is a spindle change something I could handle? I'm not worried about the leaf pack, I've heard they are pretty easy...the brakes are a little worrisome as well...not sure about draining and what not. Thanks for any help.

Here is a pic of how she looks now

[​IMG]

2. Aug 28, 2013 at 1:43 PM
    TMtaco

TMtaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DC SB Timberland Mica
    billys @1.75
  3. Aug 28, 2013 at 6:51 PM
    Biscuits

Biscuits Thorny Crown of Entropy

Member:
    Swiggity swangin' biggity bangin'
    With the spidertrax (or whatever) you can run the OEM 16" wheels with the MaxTracs spindles. If you can install a shock you can install a spindle. It's pretty dang easy and there is a sticky as well as other threads here on TW that can guide your install. In fact the leaf install will probably be more of a pain in the rear (no pun intended) than the spindles.

Good luck man! Love SC...

4. Aug 28, 2013 at 10:03 PM
    Relik

Relik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport PreRunner-Auto-Magnetic Gray
    Bilstein 5100s (Front & ext. Rear), Eibach coils @ 0, MaxTrac 4" Spindles, Light Racing UCAs, 1/4" lean spacer, All-Pro 3" Standard leafs, u-bolt flip kit, SpiderTrax 1.25" wheel spacers, 33" (285/70/17) TreadWright Warden A/T tires, extended lines
    I have stock TRD sport 17" rims, I believe same backspacing as 16". I have Maxtrac spindles and Spidertrax 1.25". Spindles are not hard to install, other than being heavy! haha. I did it with a friend and wanted to do front and rear install in one day, but took 6 hours just for front and all four brake lines (with shop lift/tools access), then did rear springs in another 3 hrs solo next day.

One thing people forget, is you need to install new front extended brake lines. And I have All-Pro 3" Standard springs in rear, and did the rear lines too. Some just bend the plate they mount to, but did all 4 since I had to do the front lines.

The front lines should come with the spindles. Not hard to do, but another add-on add-on to the job with bleeding the lines.

Products Discussed in

To Top