Notices

Suspension lift questions

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-01-2013, 06:38 AM   #1
DrArbo is on a distinguished road
Name: Derek
DrArbo's Tacoma Gallery
Suspension lift questions

I have installed 3" lift kits on two 1st gen. Tacoma's and I have a few questions concerning the addition on a 2013 Tacoma.

I am wondering if I should just get spacers for the front coil and add-a-leaf for the back, or if I should get coil-overs for the front. What is the difference between the two, a better ride quality?

How much of a lift could be added before new UCA's are needed?

Will there need to be any wheel spacers to clear a 12.5" wide tire?

I know this may be broad but I was just wondering a few things and I am a new member to this forum, didn't know exactly where to post.

Best regards,
Derek
Old 09-01-2013, 06:47 AM   #2
Jack of all trades; Master of none
geekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

geekhouse23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrArbo View Post
I have installed 3" lift kits on two 1st gen. Tacoma's and I have a few questions concerning the addition on a 2013 Tacoma.

I am wondering if I should just get spacers for the front coil and add-a-leaf for the back, or if I should get coil-overs for the front. What is the difference between the two, a better ride quality?

How much of a lift could be added before new UCA's are needed?

Will there need to be any wheel spacers to clear a 12.5" wide tire?

I know this may be broad but I was just wondering a few things and I am a new member to this forum, didn't know exactly where to post.

Best regards,
Derek

General consensus on here is spacers are garbage. If you're going to change something so crucial on your truck, better do it right the first time.

I was doing TONS of research since about March/April on lift kits and about 3 weeks ago placed my order and just yesterday installed my lift kit on my '13.

Lots of people on TW recommend anything over 2"-2.5" you should get new UCAs.

Here is my thread I posted yesterday:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...installed.html

Let me know if you have any questions and I can do my best to answer them.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:52 AM   #3
field76 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
field76's Tacoma Gallery
I just put Bilstein 5100s on all corners. Set the front to 2.5" and reused the stock springs upfront and Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL in the rear for just over 1.5" in the back. Looks great, was easy enough, Wheelers was great to deal with. YotaDan from Wheelers told me that @2.5" on the newer Tacomas you don't need to add anything else.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:58 AM   #4
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
There's no quick answer to the types of lift. Read the lift FAQ: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...uide-read.html

Typically any lift above 2" will require new UCAs to get caster back up to an acceptable range.

A 12.5" wide tire is too wide to fit on the stock 7.5" wide wheels. You'll need aftermarket wheels anyway, so just buy wheels with less backspacing and spacers won't be necessary. Note the smallest 12.5" wide tire on TireRack is 33x12.5-17 (e.g. General Grabber AT2). You'll need at least a 17x9" wheel. A lot of fender trimming and probably cab mount chop would be needed to fit this tire.

Products Discussed in this Thread