Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

New to lifting. Couple Questions.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:13 PM   #1
tr0gd0r is on a distinguished road
tr0gd0r's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tr0gd0r
New to lifting. Couple Questions.

Basically I am thinking about doing an AAL in the rear and putting adjustable Bilstein 5100s in front and the replacing the rear shocks with 5100s at the same time as the AAL.

1. Are the 3 leaf progressive AALs worth the extra money over the single AALs?

2. Will I need longer brake lines for the lift in the back or front?

3. Will I have any alignment issues? The front will probably be set on 1.75. Whatever setting will make my truck level.

4. How about driveline vibrations? Do they occur with the 1.5" lift the AAL adds?

Thanks for your responses.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:40 PM   #2
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
1) dont know

2) most likely not. I have the AAL and brake lines are fine..

3) you should do an alignment after any adjustments to the front end i think..

4) yes tacos rule

5) seems to vary by truck also. install the kit, if you get vibes, go from there.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:46 PM   #3
tr0gd0r's Tacoma Gallery
I know I will need an alignment. But I have heard of people not being able to keep their truck aligned. Or is that only from 3"+ lifts?
Old 03-05-2009, 11:50 PM   #4
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
u may be fine set at 1.75 (someone chime in if i am incorrect). I think majority of the alignment issues are upwards of 2.5"+, this is where new UCA's come in.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:59 PM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr0gd0r View Post
Basically I am thinking about doing an AAL in the rear and putting adjustable Bilstein 5100s in front and the replacing the rear shocks with 5100s at the same time as the AAL.

1. Are the 3 leaf progressive AALs worth the extra money over the single AALs?

2. Will I need longer brake lines for the lift in the back or front?

3. Will I have any alignment issues? The front will probably be set on 1.75. Whatever setting will make my truck level.

4. How about driveline vibrations? Do they occur with the 1.5" lift the AAL adds?

Thanks for your responses.
1. I've never actually heard of dual add-a-leafs. Got a link about them?

2. Do you do any offroading? If yes, I'd recommend longer stainless steal lines. You can drive the truck around without extending them. It's when you go offroad and stretch the suspension is when you gotta worry about them being long enough.

3. An allignment is recommended after a lift

4. Vibrations will vary...some people get them and other people don't.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:09 AM   #6
tr0gd0r's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a place you can get the 3 Leaf progessive AAL I was talking about. The progressive AAL replaces the overload spring.

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/9504tacoaal.htm
Old 03-06-2009, 12:19 AM   #7
951TRD has a spectacular aura about951TRD has a spectacular aura about

Name: Mike
951TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I recently installed the 5100 Billys and set them at 2.5"... Unlike some of the guys on here the alignment has held up just fine and have not experienced any vibes. Couldnt be happier thus far.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:36 AM   #8
Muliefever
muliefever has a spectacular aura aboutmuliefever has a spectacular aura about
Coast Guard: First Class Petty Officer
muliefever's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 951TRD View Post
I recently installed the 5100 Billys and set them at 2.5"... Unlike some of the guys on here the alignment has held up just fine and have not experienced any vibes. Couldnt be happier thus far.
How do you know?? Just a heads up, just because it looks fine, does not mean it is fine. If you lifted the front of your truck 2.5 ", you NEED an alignment!
Old 03-06-2009, 07:35 AM   #9
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
I have that 3 leaf aal...i also left my overload leaf in the spring pack...it rides nice with the bilstien 5125s and flexes great offroad...

i have NO complaints about it whatsoever