1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Camburg Coilovers

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Colt562, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Sep 4, 2013 at 8:51 PM
    Colt562

Colt562 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13' TRD Sport 4x4
    Icon Stage 3 Lift Kit...Dakars
    Evening everyone,

Ive been researching and researching for weeks now about some sort of lift kit. I have a 2013 DCLB 4x4 and want a ~3 inch lift all around. My original plan was to go with the OME kit with Dakars in the rear. Then I saw Camburg and really like their products. But had a couple questions before I pull the trigger on this kit:

http://camburg.com/store/05-12-taco/toyota-tacoma-05-12-performance-kit/

1) Anyone have this that can comment on how well it rides on and off road?

2) Will it provide me with a ~3 inch lift?

2. Sep 4, 2013 at 8:56 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    It list max lift as 2.5''.

3. Sep 4, 2013 at 8:58 PM
    Colt562

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13' TRD Sport 4x4
    I read somewhere that it can go up to 3 but Im not sure and dont really want to destroy the ride for another .5in of a lift.

Any pics of a DCLB with a 2.5 with dakars in the rear?

4. Sep 5, 2013 at 8:17 AM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    Looks like a lot of money out for just a lift (it sounds like this is all you want). You plan to use those OCs and uniball UCAs?

Basically do whats practical vs. what looks cool. To adjust COs to get the most possible lift you are actually taking from the performance of the CO and your ride will likely be pretty harsh. Plus you will have spent 2k just for the front and a set of rear bilstiens that won't even work with the Dakars should you want these as well.

Do more research and go over your options

5. Sep 5, 2013 at 8:32 AM
    Haws

Haws Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    Lot's of stuff (-;
    I put these on earlier this summer and am super happy with them. 3" easy if you crank them down a bit. I purchased the FJ ones for the little heavier springs, and just a bit longer. They ride really nice

6. Sep 5, 2013 at 9:00 AM
    Colt562

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13' TRD Sport 4x4
    How will it not work with the dakars?

Not sure what OC's are.

And please instead of saying do more research be a nice guy/gal and help someone out. Im asking these questions post research....not everyone is savy with suspension stuff.

7. Sep 5, 2013 at 9:17 AM
    Thetequilaworms

Thetequilaworms Carlos@Camburg.com Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Carlos
    Huntington Beach
    That kit comes with our 1.25" Upper control arm. That arm adjusts caster and allows for more wheel travel, its not just a front lift kit. The OME kit will do just that, it will lift the front end and keep the stock upper arm which will be your limiting factor and give you that harsh ride. Our replacement UCA also replaces that factory ball joint, when you put a lift on these trucks with a stock upper arm, it leaves the arm at an angle that the ball joint isn't too happy with. We've corrected that by changing the geometry of the arm and using that 1.25" uniball that will allow for more misalignment (droop travel).

The OME kit also comes with what looks like a 2.0" OEM replacement strut, as where our kit comes with a 2.5" coilover shock. these shocks are specifially valved to work for these truck and UCAs. You also have the option of rebuilding and revalving our shocks where as the OME kit needs to be completely replaced (at least the shock does). Bilstein shocks for the rear will give you a nice, plush ride when accompanied with our front end.

dont forget we offer a 10% discount to all TW members!! If you have any questions feel free to PM me or email me at Carlos@camburg.com

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  8. Sep 5, 2013 at 9:21 AM
    slcnbldr

slcnbldr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    DCLB TRD Sport
    20% tint on the front windows. 8-15-13 Installed Icons front and rear with Dakars. 2012 4Runner wheels with 275/70/17 BFG T/A KO2's. Weather Tech mats front and back. Leer shell with Leer Locker and roof racks.
    Here is a picture of mine with Icons and Dakars and 275/70/17's. I had it installed 3 weeks ago and its great just trying to resolve a little problem with the VSC and ABS. Read up on it here as you will probably experience the same.

Icons & Dakars.jpg

9. Sep 5, 2013 at 9:31 AM
    Colt562

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13' TRD Sport 4x4
    Thanks for replying! I may plan on coming into your guys shop....if thats possible and looking around and talking to someone. Im also thinking of just adding the Deaver 1.5" for the leaf springs.

10. Sep 5, 2013 at 9:32 AM
    Colt562

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13' TRD Sport 4x4
    what problems have you been having with them?

11. Sep 5, 2013 at 9:39 AM
    Thetequilaworms

Member:
    First Name:
    Carlos
    Huntington Beach
    Not a problem! We can order those Deaver springs for you when you place your order. Give me a call before you come in so that we have someone here who can talk to you and give you the shop tour...

714-848-8880

Carlos

12. Sep 5, 2013 at 9:47 AM
    slcnbldr

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    DCLB TRD Sport
    20% tint on the front windows. 8-15-13 Installed Icons front and rear with Dakars. 2012 4Runner wheels with 275/70/17 BFG T/A KO2's. Weather Tech mats front and back. Leer shell with Leer Locker and roof racks.
    The VSC and ABS seem to have trouble after a lift and the ABS engages at times it probably shouldn't due to what I believe is a lower sensitivity. You can try and have a dealer help after the lift is installed such as a zero point calibration of the VSC and Yaw sensor or you can do the bypass as detailed by BensonX. I am probably doing that myself it the reset at the dealer doesn't work. Read some of these.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...-front-tire-while-driving-abs-activation.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/283482-vsc-trailer-sway-control.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/257444-4lo-trac-abs-kill-switch-why-why-not.html

Kind of wish I would have seen these first because the first time it happened to me a week after the install I was driving mountain roads fishing and it engaged doing about 40 mph on a gentle right hand turn as I was braking and it scared the shit out of me. I still would have got the lift installed and just would have been prepared.

13. Sep 5, 2013 at 10:08 AM
    Thetequilaworms

Member:
    First Name:
    Carlos
    Huntington Beach
    We've never had an ABS issue with our kits, but Id imagine that its something the dealer can re-flash for you.

14. Sep 5, 2013 at 10:22 AM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    Carlos,
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe sway-a-way valves these with consideration of coil pre load, in which case the coilovers come set to offer approximately 2" off lift. If trying to achieve 3" you will change the dynamics of valving and coil compression thus maybe getting no better ride then an OME assembled strut.

OP, the rear shocks provided in the kit you linked will only support at most 1.5" of lift, if running the dakars you will need longer shocks. When I said “OC” I meant to say CO (Coil Over) so that’s all that means. And FYI I am a nice guy, I was just trying to say there’s a lot to learn and a lot of options there. Folks come on here for a quick easy answer, but the fact is making a decision like this takes time. When you mentioned running the Dakars with the 5100 rears, I assumed your research was limited (since they don’t work together) and thus encouraged you to do more and explore your options.

The Camburg COs are great for sure, but if all you are interested in is a lift there’s a bunch of options out there and that are easier on your wallet. Oh and watch out for the sales pitch here, as a TW member I can tell you there are numerous comps who can work a deal and offer great customer service. This is not to say Camburg isn't a great place to buy from because they are, just please do explore your options and figure out exactly what it is you both want and really need. Perhaps you’ll find that keeping things simple is a better route over doing a performance base set-up offering you the advantage of the extra 1" down travel.

Best of luck and if you have questions for me personally don't hesitate to ask. I’m always happy to offer my opinion.

FYI to offer advice on a kit one needs to know more about you and your truck ;)

15. Sep 5, 2013 at 10:38 AM
    slcnbldr

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    DCLB TRD Sport
    Carlos - Seems some people have the problem and some don't but more often than not. I doubt is the type of lift just the different dynamics of the vehicle.

16. Sep 5, 2013 at 1:51 PM
    Colt562

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13' TRD Sport 4x4
    I appreciate the help, the last thread I created no one answered :( so this is super helpful. I also love to hear different opinions on parts and companies. No one or thing is perfect, they all have little flaws its just exposing these flaws that takes time.

Also,

The truck is a 2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 in MGM. Its sort of my daily driver but I have a company vehicle so it only is driven on the weekends. I plan on doing some off-roading but not a ton. Personally my motto is buy once, cry once. So I went with the most bang for my buck.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  17. Sep 5, 2013 at 5:19 PM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    Here's one more example, also with 275s, 17":
    [​IMG]

Front is OME and lifted 2.5" over stock. I personally had no issues with VSC, etc.

18. Sep 5, 2013 at 5:24 PM
    slcnbldr

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    DCLB TRD Sport
    Damn you're lucky!

19. Sep 5, 2013 at 5:36 PM
    Colt562

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13' TRD Sport 4x4
    pretty much my exact truck....big thanks for posting that!!

20. Sep 5, 2013 at 9:07 PM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top