Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Camburg Coilovers

Old 09-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
Colt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brett
Colt562's Tacoma Gallery
Camburg Coilovers

Evening everyone,

Ive been researching and researching for weeks now about some sort of lift kit. I have a 2013 DCLB 4x4 and want a ~3 inch lift all around. My original plan was to go with the OME kit with Dakars in the rear. Then I saw Camburg and really like their products. But had a couple questions before I pull the trigger on this kit:

http://camburg.com/store/05-12-taco/...rformance-kit/

1) Anyone have this that can comment on how well it rides on and off road?

2) Will it provide me with a ~3 inch lift?
Old 09-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
It list max lift as 2.5''.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
Colt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Colt562's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
It list max lift as 2.5''.
I read somewhere that it can go up to 3 but Im not sure and dont really want to destroy the ride for another .5in of a lift.

Any pics of a DCLB with a 2.5 with dakars in the rear?
Old 09-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like a lot of money out for just a lift (it sounds like this is all you want). You plan to use those OCs and uniball UCAs?

Basically do whats practical vs. what looks cool. To adjust COs to get the most possible lift you are actually taking from the performance of the CO and your ride will likely be pretty harsh. Plus you will have spent 2k just for the front and a set of rear bilstiens that won't even work with the Dakars should you want these as well.

Do more research and go over your options
Old 09-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
Haws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud of

Firefighter:
Name: Shawn
Haws's Tacoma Gallery
I put these on earlier this summer and am super happy with them. 3" easy if you crank them down a bit. I purchased the FJ ones for the little heavier springs, and just a bit longer. They ride really nice
Old 09-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
Colt562's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Salty View Post
Looks like a lot of money out for just a lift (it sounds like this is all you want). You plan to use those OCs and uniball UCAs?

Basically do whats practical vs. what looks cool. To adjust COs to get the most possible lift you are actually taking from the performance of the CO and your ride will likely be pretty harsh. Plus you will have spent 2k just for the front and a set of rear bilstiens that won't even work with the Dakars should you want these as well.

How will it not work with the dakars?

Not sure what OC's are.

And please instead of saying do more research be a nice guy/gal and help someone out. Im asking these questions post research....not everyone is savy with suspension stuff.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
Carlos@Camburg.com
Thetequilaworms is on a distinguished road

Name: Carlos
Thetequilaworms's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

That kit comes with our 1.25" Upper control arm. That arm adjusts caster and allows for more wheel travel, its not just a front lift kit. The OME kit will do just that, it will lift the front end and keep the stock upper arm which will be your limiting factor and give you that harsh ride. Our replacement UCA also replaces that factory ball joint, when you put a lift on these trucks with a stock upper arm, it leaves the arm at an angle that the ball joint isn't too happy with. We've corrected that by changing the geometry of the arm and using that 1.25" uniball that will allow for more misalignment (droop travel).

The OME kit also comes with what looks like a 2.0" OEM replacement strut, as where our kit comes with a 2.5" coilover shock. these shocks are specifially valved to work for these truck and UCAs. You also have the option of rebuilding and revalving our shocks where as the OME kit needs to be completely replaced (at least the shock does). Bilstein shocks for the rear will give you a nice, plush ride when accompanied with our front end.

dont forget we offer a 10% discount to all TW members!! If you have any questions feel free to PM me or email me at Carlos@camburg.com
Old 09-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #8
slcnbldr has a brilliant futureslcnbldr has a brilliant futureslcnbldr has a brilliant futureslcnbldr has a brilliant futureslcnbldr has a brilliant futureslcnbldr has a brilliant futureslcnbldr has a brilliant futureslcnbldr has a brilliant futureslcnbldr has a brilliant futureslcnbldr has a brilliant futureslcnbldr has a brilliant future

Name: Anthony
slcnbldr's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a picture of mine with Icons and Dakars and 275/70/17's. I had it installed 3 weeks ago and its great just trying to resolve a little problem with the VSC and ABS. Read up on it here as you will probably experience the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Camburg Coilovers-icons-dakars.jpg  
Old 09-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
Colt562's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetequilaworms View Post
That kit comes with our 1.25" Upper control arm. That arm adjusts caster and allows for more wheel travel, its not just a front lift kit. The OME kit will do just that, it will lift the front end and keep the stock upper arm which will be your limiting factor and give you that harsh ride. Our replacement UCA also replaces that factory ball joint, when you put a lift on these trucks with a stock upper arm, it leaves the arm at an angle that the ball joint isn't too happy with. We've corrected that by changing the geometry of the arm and using that 1.25" uniball that will allow for more misalignment (droop travel).

The OME kit also comes with what looks like a 2.0" OEM replacement strut, as where our kit comes with a 2.5" coilover shock. these shocks are specifially valved to work for these truck and UCAs. You also have the option of rebuilding and revalving our shocks where as the OME kit needs to be completely replaced (at least the shock does). Bilstein shocks for the rear will give you a nice, plush ride when accompanied with our front end.

dont forget we offer a 10% discount to all TW members!! If you have any questions feel free to PM me or email me at Carlos@camburg.com
Thanks for replying! I may plan on coming into your guys shop....if thats possible and looking around and talking to someone. Im also thinking of just adding the Deaver 1.5" for the leaf springs.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #10
Colt562's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcnbldr View Post
Here is a picture of mine with Icons and Dakars and 275/70/17's. I had it installed 3 weeks ago and its great just trying to resolve a little problem with the VSC and ABS. Read up on it here as you will probably experience the same.
what problems have you been having with them?
Old 09-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #11
Carlos@Camburg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt562 View Post
Thanks for replying! I may plan on coming into your guys shop....if thats possible and looking around and talking to someone. Im also thinking of just adding the Deaver 1.5" for the leaf springs.
Not a problem! We can order those Deaver springs for you when you place your order. Give me a call before you come in so that we have someone here who can talk to you and give you the shop tour...

714-848-8880

Carlos
Old 09-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #12
slcnbldr has a brilliant futureslcnbldr has a brilliant futureslcnbldr has a brilliant futureslcnbldr has a brilliant futureslcnbldr has a brilliant futureslcnbldr has a brilliant futureslcnbldr has a brilliant futureslcnbldr has a brilliant futureslcnbldr has a brilliant futureslcnbldr has a brilliant futureslcnbldr has a brilliant future

The VSC and ABS seem to have trouble after a lift and the ABS engages at times it probably shouldn't due to what I believe is a lower sensitivity. You can try and have a dealer help after the lift is installed such as a zero point calibration of the VSC and Yaw sensor or you can do the bypass as detailed by BensonX. I am probably doing that myself it the reset at the dealer doesn't work. Read some of these.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ctivation.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...y-control.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...y-why-not.html

Kind of wish I would have seen these first because the first time it happened to me a week after the install I was driving mountain roads fishing and it engaged doing about 40 mph on a gentle right hand turn as I was braking and it scared the shit out of me. I still would have got the lift installed and just would have been prepared.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #13
Carlos@Camburg.com

We've never had an ABS issue with our kits, but Id imagine that its something the dealer can re-flash for you.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #14
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetequilaworms View Post
Not a problem! We can order those Deaver springs for you when you place your order. Give me a call before you come in so that we have someone here who can talk to you and give you the shop tour...

714-848-8880

Carlos
Carlos,
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe sway-a-way valves these with consideration of coil pre load, in which case the coilovers come set to offer approximately 2" off lift. If trying to achieve 3" you will change the dynamics of valving and coil compression thus maybe getting no better ride then an OME assembled strut.

OP, the rear shocks provided in the kit you linked will only support at most 1.5" of lift, if running the dakars you will need longer shocks. When I said ďOCĒ I meant to say CO (Coil Over) so thatís all that means. And FYI I am a nice guy, I was just trying to say thereís a lot to learn and a lot of options there. Folks come on here for a quick easy answer, but the fact is making a decision like this takes time. When you mentioned running the Dakars with the 5100 rears, I assumed your research was limited (since they donít work together) and thus encouraged you to do more and explore your options.

The Camburg COs are great for sure, but if all you are interested in is a lift thereís a bunch of options out there and that are easier on your wallet. Oh and watch out for the sales pitch here, as a TW member I can tell you there are numerous comps who can work a deal and offer great customer service. This is not to say Camburg isn't a great place to buy from because they are, just please do explore your options and figure out exactly what it is you both want and really need. Perhaps youíll find that keeping things simple is a better route over doing a performance base set-up offering you the advantage of the extra 1" down travel.

Best of luck and if you have questions for me personally don't hesitate to ask. Iím always happy to offer my opinion.

FYI to offer advice on a kit one needs to know more about you and your truck
Old 09-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #15

Carlos - Seems some people have the problem and some don't but more often than not. I doubt is the type of lift just the different dynamics of the vehicle.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #16
Colt562's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe sway-a-way valves these with consideration of coil pre load, in which case the coilovers come set to offer approximately 2" off lift. If trying to achieve 3" you will change the dynamics of valving and coil compression thus maybe getting no better ride then an OME assembled strut.

OP, the rear shocks provided in the kit you linked will only support at most 1.5" of lift, if running the dakars you will need longer shocks. When I said “OC” I meant to say CO (Coil Over) so that’s all that means. And FYI I am a nice guy, I was just trying to say there’s a lot to learn and a lot of options there. Folks come on here for a quick easy answer, but the fact is making a decision like this takes time. When you mentioned running the Dakars with the 5100 rears, I assumed your research was limited (since they don’t work together) and thus encouraged you to do more and explore your options.

I always assumed they worked together but I think I got it confused with AAL's. Not really sure what I was thinking of. I now a lot of people ask these types of questions daily, which can get old but we just looking for something that will work since there is a immense amount of information out on lifts.

No hard feelings.

The Camburg COs are great for sure, but if all you are interested in is a lift there’s a bunch of options out there and that are easier on your wallet. Oh and watch out for the sales pitch here, as a TW member I can tell you there are numerous comps who can work a deal and offer great customer service. This is not to say Camburg isn't a great place to buy from because they are, just please do explore your options and figure out exactly what it is you both want and really need. Perhaps you’ll find that keeping things simple is a better route over doing a performance base set-up offering you the advantage of the extra 1" down travel.

To be honest, I want a little of both, great street ride and comfort off road as well. I think these will suit my needs perfectly. (This could change as it has four times over the past week.

Another thing I liked is that they are literally down the street from my work and multiple co-workers said they are amazing to deal with.

Yeah the price is a little more but the Camburgs come with new UCA's whereas the OME does not. The UCA i was looking at before was 600 dollars for the set.

Best of luck and if you have questions for me personally don't hesitate to ask. I’m always happy to offer my opinion.

FYI to offer advice on a kit one needs to know more about you and your truck
I appreciate the help, the last thread I created no one answered so this is super helpful. I also love to hear different opinions on parts and companies. No one or thing is perfect, they all have little flaws its just exposing these flaws that takes time.

Also,

The truck is a 2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 in MGM. Its sort of my daily driver but I have a company vehicle so it only is driven on the weekends. I plan on doing some off-roading but not a ton. Personally my motto is buy once, cry once. So I went with the most bang for my buck.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #17
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Quote:
I read somewhere that it can go up to 3 but Im not sure and dont really want to destroy the ride for another .5in of a lift.

Any pics of a DCLB with a 2.5 with dakars in the rear?
Here's one more example, also with 275s, 17":

Front is OME and lifted 2.5" over stock. I personally had no issues with VSC, etc.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #18

Damn you're lucky!
Old 09-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #19
Colt562's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins_cc View Post
Here's one more example, also with 275s, 17":

Front is OME and lifted 2.5" over stock. I personally had no issues with VSC, etc.
pretty much my exact truck....big thanks for posting that!!
Old 09-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #20
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Quote:
pretty much my exact truck....big thanks for posting that!!