1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear axle alignment

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by TAC1, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Sep 7, 2013 at 3:35 PM
    TAC1

TAC1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    Hello Forum,

I have an '08 DCSB 4.0 with the following suspension:

Billstein (4) with front @ 1.75 @ 1/4" toytec taco lean spacer on left front.
    Rear OEM 3/1 leafs from a 2012 Sport & Wheelers 3 leaf AAL with factory Oveload leaf left in the pack.

RIDE HEIGHT (hub to fender)
    LF 22.25 RF 22.25
    LR 24.25 RR 24.25

What I have noticed ever since is that the right rear tire protrudes out about a 1/2" more than the left rear. I had several people drive behind me to see if the car is "dog tracking" (I believe thats the common term for it) & only 1 mechanic noticed it but it is so slight that he only noticed because I told him to look for it. I had someone drive my truck while I drive another vehicle & noticed it. It is very, very slight but it's there.

I get my truck aligned and the print out showed specs for the rear:
    MIN 11.2 - MAX 12.7.
    Left:: 12.3 / Right: 13.9

Obviously, I am out of range.

1)
    Is there a way for me to have this corrected besides buying a new leaf pack?

2)
    Is there even a guarantee that a new leaf pack will correct this?

3)
    Am I making a big thing out of anything?

I appreciate any info or experiences you may have with this.

Check out the pics:
    :)

http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/TACRUN1/media/image-18.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/TACRUN1/media/image-17.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/TACRUN1/media/image-16.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/TACRUN1/media/image-14.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4

http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/TACRUN1/media/image-15.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/TACRUN1/media/image-12.jpg.html?sort=3&o=6

http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/TACRUN1/media/image-13.jpg.html?sort=3&o=5

2. Sep 7, 2013 at 3:40 PM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
    If you click the "direct link" on photobucket, it automatically copies it and to post it on TW, click "Insert Image" tab and paste the copied link. That way it shows up like this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Sep 7, 2013 at 3:44 PM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
    There is a way to fix this, pretty cheaply too.

You see how this shackle perch has 3 holes in it 1" apart?

[​IMG]

If you cut a piece of steel in the exact shape of your shackle perch (just the top, a flat piece of rectangle steel) and drill the holes out to perfectly match the otherside, this will fix your problem. Super simple and cheap. I believe there is a pre-made one you can buy, just not sure who sells it. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

4. Sep 7, 2013 at 4:15 PM
    TAC1

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    SupraTT,
    Thank you x 2.

As for the pics, thanks for the info. I did this for the 1st time from my I-Phone & I am not very familiar with this. LOL!

And for the spring perch. Great idea & info! I wasn't aware that existed.

Thanks again
    :)

5. Sep 7, 2013 at 4:29 PM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    TAC, I plead stupid on what dimension is off in the rear. The chart shows it is a degrees dimension / tolerance. Being a straight axle, I don't see how they are expecting a 12 degrees.

As far as the wheel well discrepancy, before I condemned the running gear, I would take some dimensions from the rear axle to an identical point on the front suspension or frame. My first choice would be the lower control arm pivot. See if the truck is square.

I have little faith that these beds are even close to symmetric.

If you do need to correct this, the proper item is a thrust alignment shim or spacer.

As an example
    http://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/spc-performance-thrust-alignment-plate-kits

PK

6. Sep 7, 2013 at 4:32 PM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    As a second thought, making it easier, measure from the axle housing to the front spring bolt left and right, compare.

Then measure from the spring perch bolt to a frame hardpoint on each side.

If those numbers come in the same for each side, the bed is needing to be loosened and "adjusted" then re-tightened.

PK

7. Sep 7, 2013 at 7:21 PM
    TAC1

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    PK,

I will do that when I go back to work next week. BTW, nice find on that shim kit. I see how that can center the wheel in the fender but can that also allow for me to center the axle so that the tires stick out evenly? Sorry if I missed something & thanks!

8. Sep 7, 2013 at 8:20 PM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    Thing is, you need to find the error, if the chassis is square, nd the bed is not, do not align the axle to center the wheel. This would make the truck not square.

If the chassis is not square and the bed is true, then yes, you may need to do something to bring the chassis back to square.

In simplest concept, if you had a means to measure the exact tire contact point at each corner, the diagonal measurements should be equal.

PK

9. Sep 8, 2013 at 7:41 AM
    TAC1

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    PK,
    The bed alignment isn't the issue as it was for some members here & the the 1/2" offset issue started with these leafs so I think I am going to go with the Thrust plate you recommended if every other measurement checks out.

Even though this only adjusts front to back so my right rear tire will still stick out about .5" more atleast it won't dog track. This kit also raises the truck more by .5" so I was thinking of installing it on the left rear to slide the axle rear as opposed to installing it on the right rear & sliding the axle forward. What do you think?

Thanks again for all of your info & help.

10. Sep 8, 2013 at 10:52 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    I don't know the exact size details but consider splitting the difference. !/4" on one side and 1/4" the opposite direction the other side.

Dumb question, is ir possible the leafs are installed incorrect, maybe turn one around.

PK

11. Sep 8, 2013 at 1:22 PM
    TAC1

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    1) That is not a dumb question at all.

2) I was actually thinking of doing that. I don't mind spending $200 if it solves this AND gets me another 1/2" of lift.

3) As for the leaf springs, Since they were used they had the mark of the e-brake line bolts & the previous owner marked them as left & right but hey, he could have made a mistake. I wouldn't mind swapping them L to R.

Thanks again.
    :D

12. Sep 8, 2013 at 2:34 PM
    TAC1

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    Is there a way that I can tell which leaf pack (if there is one) was installed backwards or will I have to remove, rotate, & re-install it one at a time? I may just do this first since it's free & I can see what happens. I'll start with the right Leaf Spring first.

I had my wife drive my truck in front of me down Le Jeune Rd this afternoon & I drove her truck behind mine. You have to REALLY make an effort to look for the dog tracking. I mean I literally could not see it to a point that I was wondering if it corrected itself.

I've had 8 people on 8 different occasions do this & only 1 person said that he sees a "slight" dog tracking but if I hadn't told him to look for it he would have not noticed anything.

13. Sep 8, 2013 at 7:50 PM
    TAC1

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    UPDATE!
    I loosened the U-Bolts & re-torqued them & had the truck re-aligned on another alignment machine:
    [​IMG]

On the way home I drove another vehicle while someone drove mine & I didn't notice any dog tracking. When you look @ the truck from behind the right rear tire still sticks out more but I guess it is aligned with the front because the vehicle is rolling straight.

As far as I know there is no left/right adjustment & it's minimal so I guess this is as good as it gets. I did a crude measurement & it shows that the right rear tire is 1/4" more towards the rear than the left rear:

LEFT REAR: [​IMG]

RIGHT REAR:
    [​IMG]

What do you think?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top