1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for help on where to start...

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by pgiroua, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Sep 9, 2013 at 6:57 PM
    pgiroua

pgiroua [OP] Geaux Tigers

Member:
    First Name:
    Royce
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5
    Fog Lights "a la Caribe Style", 20% Tint, csjumper2003's LED's (dome, map lights, park lights), Sylvania ZXE headlights and fog lights, Tonnopro Bed Cover, DTRL on any time mod by piercedtiger, Maxtrac Spindles, Bilstein 5100's (front and back), OME 883 Coils, All Pro Standard Leaf Pack
    ... With drive line vibes/shudders. I have an '07 double cab with about 110,000 miles. The lift that I have is maxtrac spindles and 5100's set at 0 wrapped with OME 883 coils in the front and extended 5100's in the rear with the All Pro standard leaf pack. I have had the lift for a little over a year with no problems. Well, last weekend I took a little road trip to the LSU game (approximately 75 miles) with no problem. When I got in the truck after the game, the drive shaft was shaking my dashboard. It appears that it is worse at around 35-40mph but can definitely be felt/heard even while the cruise is set at any speed. I doesn't happen at take off and really isn't noticed until about 30mph.

I have read about the CB drop, a new one piece drive shaft, drive shaft extensions, checking if the U-bolts are tight, axle shims, etc..., etc... My questions is where does everyone think I should start? Does anyone think that it is any one of these problems specifically based on the information that I gave you? Is the truck safe to drive?

Any help is greatly appreciated so please fire away with questions or recommendations.

Thanks!

Royce

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  2. Sep 9, 2013 at 7:06 PM
    Colt562

Colt562 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13' TRD Sport 4x4
    Icon Stage 3 Lift Kit...Dakars
    Well from my research, a driveline drop kit would work good. At least thats what it sounds like.

3. Sep 9, 2013 at 7:06 PM
    SOS CONCEPTS

SOS CONCEPTS Bumper builder

Member:
    First Name:
    SOS
    Laurens SC
    Vehicle:
    17 sos buggy, 09 taco(in pieces), 14ram 3500
    Rock bouncer
    saw it the other day. check this link might be able to help

ttp://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/28859-driveline-vibration-fix-write-up-may-work-you-too.html

4. Sep 9, 2013 at 7:38 PM
    pgiroua

Member:
    First Name:
    Royce
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5
    Fog Lights "a la Caribe Style", 20% Tint, csjumper2003's LED's (dome, map lights, park lights), Sylvania ZXE headlights and fog lights, Tonnopro Bed Cover, DTRL on any time mod by piercedtiger, Maxtrac Spindles, Bilstein 5100's (front and back), OME 883 Coils, All Pro Standard Leaf Pack
    Thanks for the replies. This seems like an easy enough start.

5. Sep 9, 2013 at 7:47 PM
    drunktaco

drunktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sage
    Southwest Va
    Icon ext travel C/O's, Total Chaos UCA's, King R/R shocks, All-Pro leaf pack, lights, RCI skid, Brute Force sliders, ect.
    Wait so you had the lift over a year and no vibes. Then you went to a game and it was fine but on your way back it was really bad? You might have just lost a weight off your drive shaft and it's out of balance.

6. Sep 9, 2013 at 8:02 PM
    pgiroua

Member:
    First Name:
    Royce
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5
    Yes, that is correct. Fine on the way there, bad as soon as I got in the truck on the way back. Where would I check for a weight on the drive shaft?

7. Sep 9, 2013 at 8:09 PM
    drunktaco

drunktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sage
    Southwest Va
    Icon ext travel C/O's, Total Chaos UCA's, King R/R shocks, All-Pro leaf pack, lights, RCI skid, Brute Force sliders, ect.
    Drive shaft should have some square pieces somewhere on it. Those will be your weights if they are still there. Give me a min and ill try and find a pic if not ill go take one real quick so you get a better idea.

8. Sep 9, 2013 at 8:35 PM
    pgiroua

Member:
    First Name:
    Royce
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5
    Man, that would be really helpful, I appreciate it. Are those easy to put back on if they came off? How would I tell if only one came off? Are there designated spots to install them so that if one is missing it is obvious?

Sorry about all of the questions...

9. Sep 9, 2013 at 9:01 PM
    BytorTruck

BytorTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Scottsdale AZ
  10. Sep 10, 2013 at 4:12 AM
    pgiroua

Member:
    First Name:
    Royce
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5
  11. Sep 10, 2013 at 5:44 AM
    pgiroua

Member:
    First Name:
    Royce
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5
    I did a quick look under the truck and think I found what may be part of the problem. Take a look at the pic and let me know what you think. I am not mechanically inclined so I don't know part names but shouldn't the black part be more into the housing?

uploadfromtaptalk1378817055759.jpg

12. Sep 10, 2013 at 10:12 AM
    BytorTruck

BytorTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Scottsdale AZ
    Did you grab the drive line with both hands try shake it real hard I am thinking I may have jumped the gun carrier bearing drop. It sounds like it may be a carrier bearing or a u joint.

13. Sep 10, 2013 at 10:51 AM
    pgiroua

Member:
    First Name:
    Royce
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5
    I did not. Should the drive line stay in place if I do that? If I have any play, does that mean something went bad?

14. Sep 24, 2013 at 8:38 AM
    pgiroua

Member:
    First Name:
    Royce
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5
    Brought the truck to my buddies shop and one of the U-Joints was bad along with the carrier bearing. I went ahead and replaced all 3 U-Joints and the carrier bearing and the problem is now fixed.

Products Discussed in

To Top