Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

FEELER: Baja Suspension for Sale

Old 09-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #41
jbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jbmccul's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
@ entire thread.

C'MON GUYS! The baja suspension is the BEST EVAR!! Why do you think they call that race the BAJA 1000?? Cause they all use the suspension from the...wait for it.... ....... Baja taco!
See sig, lol
Old 09-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #42
DESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DESRTRNNR's Tacoma Gallery
there was a posting in Phoenix Craigslist for over a month that had the baja shocks and the stock UCA's for sale for $1200.. i'm not sure if anyone bought them at that price and i cant find the posting any longer.. seeing as how you can buy the suspension kit for $1550 new you probably wont get enough out of it to swap out to a Icon stage 1 without putting money out of pocket.. you would be better off just going with a set of UCA's and a new set of rear leaf springs.. and if you ever blow out the shocks then you can swap them out for a set of Kings, Foxs, or Icons at that time
Old 09-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #43
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
In addition to Kase's respone, you will also attain more travel than the baja setup, given aftermarket arms.

while the baja setup is nice, it is tuned for a stock vehicle. as soon as you change something, such as weight from a bumper or something, you are out of luck. the degraded handling characteristics are hard to get back to where they were before a bumper or other modification. aftermarket coilovers have give you the ability to adjust as much as you please. while wheel travel is great, propper tuning is far more important. when ordering aftermarket coilovers, you also have the option to get them built speciffically for your needs, to eliminate the tuning work on your end. this turns the system into a purely bolt-on setup, with the same ease of install as the baja setup.

unrelated to fox/king/icon/etc, you also mentioned that the baja is a good way to fit larger tires from the factory, but in reality, your lift height has no affect on tire clearance other than at ride height.

Like kase said, the baja is a great kit, that has a number of areas of improvement over stock, therre is simply more room for improvement when going to a non toyota coilover (when set up properly).

with all of that said, if the price difference is great enough, the baja kit would be more than sufficient for the vast majority of people on this site.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #44
Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Signal Corps
monkeyface's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Rebuildable, custom valving and rebound, adjustable lift to get whatever height you want(1.75",2.",2.5",3"etc), stay cooler, etc

Nobody thinks the baja suspension is bad.
Just that king/fox/icon/etc are better.
The adjustability, I can see that as an advantage. The custom valving is already done by TRD and Bilstein to suit exclusively the Tacoma 4WD access cab and DCSB, they have stiff compression and quick rebound which is what you want. It's well tuned for the truck at all four corners, IMO. And seeings how Bilstein revalved the shocks on-site during testing I imagine they're rebuildable. Probably have to send them to Bilstein, not a DIY, so that's an advantage for Fox, King.

As for staying cooler, the front resis are nice, but really you'd have to push the truck hard for a lot of miles offroad to feel a fading difference. It's not worth the additional cost. And that's the bottom line - $$$$. I didn't buy the Baja Tacoma, all I did was add the suspension onto my SR5 for $1609 shipped. Fox, King OEM replacements, they're more expensive for very little increase in actual offroad performance IMO. The numbers just aren't there in terms of additional wheel travel, better damping or rebound from Fox, King, or Icon to justify the additional dollars.

I apologize if I derailed the thread, I'm just tired of MWOAP (and his minions) when he doesn't know jackcrap about the Baja suspension.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #45
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

the travel numbers aren't all that different for sure, but there is a difference. not as important for higher speeds, since that's where valving is what makes a good setup over travel, but when you start crawling, half an inch can make or brake a line.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #46
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyface View Post
I apologize if I derailed the thread, I'm just tired of MWOAP (and his minions) when he doesn't know jackcrap about the Baja suspension.
wahhhhhhhh!!!!

I know enough info on the Baja suspension to know it is crap and how Toyota dupes people into buying 40k dollar truck.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #47
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
the travel numbers aren't all that different for sure, but there is a difference. not as important for higher speeds, since that's where valving is what makes a good setup over travel, but when you start crawling, half an inch can make or brake a line.
Spoken from a true wheeler with tons of experience!
Old 09-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
wahhhhhhhh!!!!
that's the sound my phone makes when i get a text
Old 09-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #49
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
The Baja setup is a good set up for those guys who just want to off road occasionally but from reading on the forum I have found icons kings and fox are better
Old 09-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #50
TeamBlue
alegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
alegav's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to alegav Send a message via Yahoo to alegav
Quote:
wahhhhhhhh!!!!

I know enough info on the Baja suspension to know it is crap and how Toyota dupes people into buying 40k dollar truck.
I disagree, it might be "crap" in comparison to the aftermarket but its way better then the stock setup on the Tacoma's. For off roaders like me its great. I didn't have extra money for tires, rims suspension etc when I bought my truck BUT I wanted to do some light off roading. This truck catered to me perfectly. I will give you the expensive factor that's for DAMN sure.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #51
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
BAMFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
wahhhhhhhh!!!!

can this thread get any better
Old 09-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #52
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegav View Post
I disagree, it might be "crap" in comparison to the aftermarket but its way better then the stock setup on the Tacoma's. For off roaders like me its great. I didn't have extra money for tires, rims suspension etc when I bought my truck
This is kinda contradictory FWIW. Sure, you may not have had money to buy kings, wheels and tires at the time. But you more than likely paid for em 2x when you paid that pretty little price for the baja taco.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #53
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I like the baja package and think its well worth it . The wheels and tires are really nice and worth $2000 don't even need to upgrade them ko's are a great tire . The truck sits about 2" higher for added ground clearence. The suspension upgrade adds .75" front travel and 1.5" rear travel . About the same travel numbers as my fox / total chaos mid travel set up . So like I say I think it's a good buy for the cost .

How much is the baja package $3500 ?
Old 09-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegav View Post
I disagree, it might be "crap" in comparison to the aftermarket but its way better then the stock setup on the Tacoma's. For off roaders like me its great. I didn't have extra money for tires, rims suspension etc when I bought my truck BUT I wanted to do some light off roading. This truck catered to me perfectly. I will give you the expensive factor that's for DAMN sure.
i don't think i'd call it crap compared to the aftermarket. even though the bilstien shock it was adapted from is a little more advanced, i would compare it to an OME setup as far as durability and longevity goes (i mean that in a good way). what differentiates it from the OMEs is that it is valved for a better high speed handling, and for use with lower spring rate coils. this gives you that nice mix of on and off road performance. then to top it off, you have the reserviors. she chock body of the bajas is not quite the size of the aftermarket coilovers, and is steel, so those will lower the cooling factor in comparison, but then the resis come into play. i wouldn't be surprised if the bajas cool in a similar nature to, or even better than, a non-resi K/I/F.

I think toyota has unintentionally filled the aftermarket gap between OME and full blown coilovers. i believe that package is a good 50/50 split between the two as far as both performance and price go.

The issue, like with anything offroad, is to know your equipment, and know what it is capable of. the perfect example of such knowledge not being used was when raptor owners bend their frames. gread truck, but people didn't acurately know the limits based on the equipment.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #55
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildlandtaco View Post
can this thread get any better

I know right...
Old 09-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #56
Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Signal Corps
monkeyface's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
In addition to Kase's respone, you will also attain more travel than the baja setup, given aftermarket arms.

while the baja setup is nice, it is tuned for a stock vehicle. as soon as you change something, such as weight from a bumper or something, you are out of luck. the degraded handling characteristics are hard to get back to where they were before a bumper or other modification. aftermarket coilovers have give you the ability to adjust as much as you please. while wheel travel is great, propper tuning is far more important. when ordering aftermarket coilovers, you also have the option to get them built speciffically for your needs, to eliminate the tuning work on your end. this turns the system into a purely bolt-on setup, with the same ease of install as the baja setup.

unrelated to fox/king/icon/etc, you also mentioned that the baja is a good way to fit larger tires from the factory, but in reality, your lift height has no affect on tire clearance other than at ride height.

Like kase said, the baja is a great kit, that has a number of areas of improvement over stock, therre is simply more room for improvement when going to a non toyota coilover (when set up properly).

with all of that said, if the price difference is great enough, the baja kit would be more than sufficient for the vast majority of people on this site.
Colin, it's already tuned right out of the box by TRD. For 2012+ 4WD Tacoma AC and DCSB's exclusively. From what I've read lifts over 2" seem to play havoc with the nannies. That was an additional consideration for me. The front Eibach springs are 650 lbs, so they can handle some additional weight and the sway bar doesn't interfere at all, so the handling will maybe suffer some with additional weight, but not much compared to other front suspensions.

Yeah, the kit is designed for 32's maximum. 265/75/16's or 275/70/17's.

And yeah, the price difference was certainly a consideration for me. You get a lot of bang for the buck with the Baja kit (aftermarket).
Old 09-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #57

right, i realize that it''s tuned well from the factory, so if your intentions are to stay otherwize stock, you're good to go. for comparison though, my truck is at almost 6000 lbs, and to try to throw this thing around at speed with the baja valving would have me on my lid in no time. I do agree, i'm not a fan or big lifts. i only sit at 1'' lift right now and it works great for me.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #58
TeamBlue
alegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
alegav's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to alegav Send a message via Yahoo to alegav
Quote:
This is kinda contradictory FWIW. Sure, you may not have had money to buy kings, wheels and tires at the time. But you more than likely paid for em 2x when you paid that pretty little price for the baja taco.
I didnt have 5k in my pocket to go out and buy all the parts is what I was trying to say. I was however able to finance the baja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
I like the baja package and think its well worth it . The wheels and tires are really nice and worth $2000 don't even need to upgrade them ko's are a great tire . The truck sits about 2" higher for added ground clearence. The suspension upgrade adds .75" front travel and 1.5" rear travel . About the same travel numbers as my fox / total chaos mid travel set up . So like I say I think it's a good buy for the cost .

How much is the baja package $3500 ?
I'd have to look at my sticker to give you an accurate cost.
Quote:
i don't think i'd call it crap compared to the aftermarket. even though the bilstien shock it was adapted from is a little more advanced, i would compare it to an OME setup as far as durability and longevity goes (i mean that in a good way). what differentiates it from the OMEs is that it is valved for a better high speed handling, and for use with lower spring rate coils. this gives you that nice mix of on and off road performance. then to top it off, you have the reserviors. she chock body of the bajas is not quite the size of the aftermarket coilovers, and is steel, so those will lower the cooling factor in comparison, but then the resis come into play. i wouldn't be surprised if the bajas cool in a similar nature to, or even better than, a non-resi K/I/F.

I think toyota has unintentionally filled the aftermarket gap between OME and full blown coilovers. i believe that package is a good 50/50 split between the two as far as both performance and price go.

The issue, like with anything offroad, is to know your equipment, and know what it is capable of. the perfect example of such knowledge not being used was when raptor owners bend their frames. gread truck, but people didn't acurately know the limits based on the equipment.
Great information here

Thank you!
Old 09-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #59
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
6000lbs ! Yikes . Recently weighed my regular cab . The way it sits now with carbon fiber hood is 3940lbs . With toe strap,harbor freight compressor and a socket set behind the seat.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
6000lbs ! Yikes . Recently weighed my regular cab . The way it sits now with carbon fiber hood is 3940lbs . With toe strap,harbor freight compressor and a socket set behind the seat.
a big chunk of that is that you're a single cab 2.7. double cab 4.0 will start out a good bit heavier. add a plate bumper instead of tube, winch, full (steel) skids, wrap around rear bumper vs a standard, heavy bed rack, heavy roof rack, 35s, and a boatload of gear, and you'll get up towards 6k pretty quick