OME Front Suspension "Slams" on Extension

Old 09-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #21
ExpeditionArctic is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Vincent
ExpeditionArctic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglexx View Post
It is the shock topping out. For me the sway bar acts like limiting straps and keeps it from topping out. Also make sure the top nut on the shock isn't too tight because that makes the stroke shorter
do you have your sway bars relocated? Mine are in the stock position. I'm not quite following how your sway bars keeps your shocks from topping out.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #22
steezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
steezinstangl's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...pping-out.html

I had this problem also, it is the shock topping out. give it a couple thousand miles and it will get better as everything breaks in.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #23
younglexx is on a distinguished road

Name: Alex
younglexx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpeditionArctic View Post
do you have your sway bars relocated? Mine are in the stock position. I'm not quite following how your sway bars keeps your shocks from topping out.
stock loacation. it has less travel with the sway bar on, I used to run no sway bar and had more wheel travel
Old 09-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #24
ExpeditionArctic is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Vincent
ExpeditionArctic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steezinstangl View Post
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...pping-out.html

I had this problem also, it is the shock topping out. give it a couple thousand miles and it will get better as everything breaks in.

I've had them for just over 10k miles so far with no breaking in so far.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #25
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
OME Front Suspension "Slams" on Extension

Mine only does it on speed bumps or if I drop into a pothole I didn't see , and curiously I think it's only on the passenger side
Old 09-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #26
MichelinMan
teamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

teamhypoxia's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does the same thing.
It's the shock.
You put heavier springs on to carry the weight of your bumper and winch.
The shock is supposed to dampen both the compression and rebound of the springs but the rebound damping is inadequate for the springs.

I know this is how things work on a motorcycle.... I'm guessing it's the same on our trucks.

I suppose it's possible that our shocks do not dampen rebound but only compression. That would really explain it.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:36 AM   #27
HUH?
Jkohler is on a distinguished road

Name: Justin
Jkohler's Tacoma Gallery
Just curious, what is the distance between your bump stops in the front?
Your frame could be bottoming out on the bump stop if the gap is not big enough. If that is the problem, you will need to swap out with a low-profile bump stop or add more preload to increase the distance between the bump stop and frame.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:04 AM   #28
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
If an 8" travel shock has 4" up and 4" down and you're taking away 3" of down travel due to lift.......1" of down travel makes for a crappy ride.

It's like a word problem from math class LOL

Best thing to do is not drive the truck too hard as 1" pot holes and the like are overextending them. Orrrrrr upgrade to ext travel coilovers and UCA's? Another reason why I'm not a fan of preload for the sake of lift/tires. Smallest lift possible with as much travel as possible is best!
Old 12-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #29
shibubba is on a distinguished road
shibubba's Tacoma Gallery
Mine do the exact same thing. It drives me nuts. I have 7000kms on the suspension now, so I dont think it is going to get any better. I understand that it is a stock length strut with extended length coils...but come on.

My question is, do ICON, FOX, KING etc do the same thing. Because I am honestly ready to ditch the ome stuff for coilovers if it fixes this noise. I am leaning heavily towards KING extended travel coilovers.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #30
I love snow!
chipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Girdwood Fire Department
Name: Anna
chipnoreo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibubba View Post
Mine do the exact same thing. It drives me nuts. I have 7000kms on the suspension now, so I dont think it is going to get any better. I understand that it is a stock length strut with extended length coils...but come on.

My question is, do ICON, FOX, KING etc do the same thing. Because I am honestly ready to ditch the ome stuff for coilovers if it fixes this noise. I am leaning heavily towards KING extended travel coilovers.

My fox extended travel COs only go clang when I drive too fast over bumps or try to jump the truck And thats just the bumpstops. Installing sSuperbumps made it better
Old 12-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #31
HUH?
Jkohler is on a distinguished road

Name: Justin
Jkohler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I picked up the Icon Extended Coilovers for $1,200 from Down South Motor Sports here on taco world, great deal! They are easy to deal with and great quality product. I love these coilovers they ride like a dream in most situations
Old 12-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #32
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

No they don't do that.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #33
shibubba is on a distinguished road
shibubba's Tacoma Gallery
Good.....
Old 01-22-2014, 07:08 AM   #34
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Always Out Front
Name: Lyndall
bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
Sucks this is happening. I sent an email to ARB asking about the issue, their final word on it is below. The number they are referencing is the downtravel. I don't have the minimum of 2.5".

Quote:
The minimum number required is 60mm or about 2.5.Ē From your numbers the clunk most likely is related to the struts running out of travel in some situations and slamming the internal stops which creates both a harsh ride and noise. Itís also quite hard on the struts as well as eventually the stops can be broken from the shafts themselves. As to the internet rumor that the shocks are not stiff enough this is partially true, but for good reason. Basically at 2 inches of travel at the wheel you have about 1 inch of shaft travel at the strut. That means that the strut is being asked to slow and stop the wheel motion in roughly 1 inch. Itís possible to do that if the strut has firm enough valving, but the result would be an incredibly stiff ride as the strut would be unable to react to normal bumps at low speeds correctly when in the normal section of available travel. At slower shaft speeds (which your speed bump conditions create) the valves are relatively open to allow the suspension to move smoothly over rough terrain making them more susceptible to topping out.

Solutions:

So what needs to happen is the struts need to be working with more range of available travel. That can be accomplished either by adding weight (and compressing the springs further) or by installing lower height springs on the struts. In this case OME 885 coils will lower the nose about an inch adding shaft travel to the stops and greatly improving performance. Add a pair of Ĺ inch top hat spacers above the struts and youíll get your inch of ride height back without putting the struts at risk.
Stepping down to a 885 coil spring might fix the issue, but with sway bars removed and the added weight on the front end they aren't stiff enough to maintain that ride I like; especially when cornering.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:03 PM   #35
rruhl48 is on a distinguished road
Name: Rick
rruhl48's Tacoma Gallery
You check lower control arm skid plate. I kno alot of the lifts come with plate spacers for that reason
Old 02-15-2014, 06:22 PM   #36
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Always Out Front
Name: Lyndall
bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruhl48 View Post
You check lower control arm skid plate. I kno alot of the lifts come with plate spacers for that reason
No clue what you're taking about
Old 02-19-2014, 08:33 PM   #37
I like the Anaheim Ducks
Okeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
Okeetee's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to hijack the thread, but it seemed the most fitting to the issue I encountered tonight.

I just got my truck back from the shop with brand new OME 887 coils, Light Racing UCAs and Wheeler's HD 1.5" AAL installed with my current setup of Bilstein 5100s (front/rear) and 265/75/16 Duratracs.

The problem is, I forgot to tell the guy to reset my front Billies to 0 (boneheaded move on my part), so they're still at 1.75" WITH my 887 coils. Oops.

Ride seemed okay until I went over a speed bump and felt a big CLUNK in the front suspension. Then I went over another speed bump slow and felt it again, but not to the extent of the first time.

I'm taking it back to shop on Friday morning, but is it safe to drive tomorrow? I'm hoping nothing got damaged.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:34 PM   #38
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
They managed to align it like that ?
Old 02-19-2014, 08:39 PM   #39
I like the Anaheim Ducks
Okeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
Okeetee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
They managed to align it like that ?
Yeah they did! I was surprised. The more I read this thread the more I wonder ... will setting it to 0 get rid of this issue? I'm hoping it does.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:42 PM   #40

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okeetee View Post
Yeah they did! I was surprised. The more I read this thread the more I wonder ... will setting it to 0 get rid of this issue? I'm hoping it does.

Don't you have like 5" of lift ?