Notices

OME Front Suspension "Slams" on Extension

Old 09-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
ExpeditionArctic is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Vincent
ExpeditionArctic's Tacoma Gallery
OME Front Suspension "Slams" on Extension

If this is a repost I am sorry. I looked and scoured but couldn't find anything similar.

Here is the issue: I replaced my 2010 4WD TRD OFFROAD Tacoma's front suspension with OME2886 coils and the matching OME nitroshocks. Since the upgrade it feels as if the suspension slams to full extension after cresting a bump or rock. It is incredibly loud and doesn't feel normal. The spring compression feels normal, but its the extension that seems way more powerful than it needs to be.

I went with the 2886 heavy coil springs because I have an ARB front bumper with winch and steel cable, which adds around 200+lbs to the front of the truck. The springs were recommended to me by both the dealer and the ARB/OME site. I also contacted both OME and the retailer and both were baffled that the 2886 springs sounded way too stiff.

From reading other threads I have discovered I should replace my UCAs but I don't feel like that would soften or damped the massive "slam" I experience, but I am still going to replace them.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks fellas.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:36 AM   #3
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Over speed bump goes clank
Is that a question or a statement OZ? lol

Op, Are you hearing them "slam" or feeling it? I have the 885s and don't notice it. If you're hearing something....it may be your sway bar hitting the coils. Do you have the sway bar relocate kit installed?
Old 09-17-2013, 05:00 AM   #4
BassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Dan
BassMaster06's Tacoma Gallery
Look at your sway bar around the coils to see if there are any skuffs or damage. Ive experienced this a couple times since I put my lift on. Sway bars coming off this weekend and im looking into the relocate kit
Old 09-17-2013, 05:10 AM   #5
The Past Through Tomorrow
JohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny
JohnnyWayne's Tacoma Gallery
Think OZ meant this:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ump-clank.html
Old 09-17-2013, 05:31 AM   #6
offroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
Name: Jared
offroadwonder's Tacoma Gallery
I'd be interested in public opinion here also. I have a 2010 TRD OR DCSB lifted via full OME suspension that is doing the exact same thing. It is running 885 springs and light racing upper control arms. I removed the sway bar. So far it is a complete mystery.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:40 AM   #7
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
Is that a question or a statement OZ? lol

Op, Are you hearing them "slam" or feeling it? I have the 885s and don't notice it. If you're hearing something....it may be your sway bar hitting the coils. Do you have the sway bar relocate kit installed?

I am both feeling and hearing the slam. I haven't relocated the sway bar, but I'll check to see if I can see any scuff marks.

More info: The "slam" happens at any speed. Even if i'm going 3 mph over a speed bump. Any off pavement driving feels incredibly stiff.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #9
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I think the shock tops out somewhat violently , that is my theory , quite a bit of discussion about this previously
Old 09-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #10
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadwonder View Post
I'd be interested in public opinion here also. I have a 2010 TRD OR DCSB lifted via full OME suspension that is doing the exact same thing. It is running 885 springs and light racing upper control arms. I removed the sway bar. So far it is a complete mystery.
Does your suspension feel very stiff? I've got the 220+ lbs hanging off the front end and the front suspension feels stiff as hell with the 886. Almost as if the springs are too strong, yet they are what everyone recommends with my set up.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #11
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
UCA might be hitting coils on the way down (extending) my truck does that but i dont have every thing you have just 5100's and OME 884's
Old 09-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #12
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I think the shock tops out somewhat violently , that is my theory , quite a bit of discussion about this previously
That is exactly what it feels like. Not a lose part or something hitting something else, but the shock fully extending way too fast. Is this normal for the OMEs?
Old 09-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #13
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbui23 View Post
UCA might be hitting coils on the way down (extending) my truck does that but i dont have every thing you have just 5100's and OME 884's
When I feel/hear the "slam", the entire truck literally shakes...
Old 09-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #14
Christ Follower
RadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
RadRed06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpeditionArctic View Post
That is exactly what it feels like. Not a lose part or something hitting something else, but the shock fully extending way too fast. Is this normal for the OMEs?
I have 885s and LR UCAs and mine does the same thing. Any sudden drop and it feels like the shock extending really fast
Old 09-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #15
offroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
Name: Jared
offroadwonder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Does your suspension feel very stiff? I've got the 220+ lbs hanging off the front end and the front suspension feels stiff as hell with the 886. Almost as if the springs are too strong, yet they are what everyone recommends with my set up.
It is definitely stiffer than stock, but I expected that. They are 885s with no additional weight. I have investigated everything in the suspension that I can find. I have cycled the suspension from full droop to full compression, and there is no binding anywhere that I can find. The sound definitely seems to be the suspension topping-out violently.

I am curious if other OME guys are experiencing the same thing, or if there might be something wrong with the rebound valving on a select few sets of shocks. So far I am not seeing many people responding saying that they hear the same thing (I think I count 3 people so far).
Old 09-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #16
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Lots of other OME guys have complained about the Over Speed Bump Goes Clank but it's spread out over many threads

My 885's / Nitrochargers do it
Old 09-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #18
younglexx is on a distinguished road

Name: Alex
younglexx's Tacoma Gallery
I have 885's w/nitro chargers and had the clank bad with out the sway bar, I put the sway bar back on and its barely noticeable now.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #19
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglexx View Post
I have 885's w/nitro chargers and had the clank bad with out the sway bar, I put the sway bar back on and its barely noticeable now.
I have the sway bars in. I've checked the UCAs, sway bars, and coils for scuffs and scratches and I came up empty. It isnt hitting anything. I'm believing that the noise I'm hearing is the shock topping out too violently.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #20
younglexx is on a distinguished road

Name: Alex
younglexx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have the sway bars in. I've checked the UCAs, sway bars, and coils for scuffs and scratches and I came up empty. It isnt hitting anything. I'm believing that the noise I'm hearing is the shock topping out too violently.
It is the shock topping out. For me the sway bar acts like limiting straps and keeps it from topping out. Also make sure the top nut on the shock isn't too tight because that makes the stroke shorter