1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OME Front Suspension "Slams" on Extension

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by ExpeditionArctic, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Sep 16, 2013 at 8:10 PM
    ExpeditionArctic

ExpeditionArctic [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vincent
    Penn Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 DBSB 4x4 TRD OR
    ARB Front bumper with winch, undercarriage armor. 3" OME front suspension lift and custom Deaver rear leaf springs w/ 3" inch lift. BajaRack Utility rack and Softopper bed shell.
    If this is a repost I am sorry. I looked and scoured but couldn't find anything similar.

Here is the issue: I replaced my 2010 4WD TRD OFFROAD Tacoma's front suspension with OME2886 coils and the matching OME nitroshocks. Since the upgrade it feels as if the suspension slams to full extension after cresting a bump or rock. It is incredibly loud and doesn't feel normal. The spring compression feels normal, but its the extension that seems way more powerful than it needs to be.

I went with the 2886 heavy coil springs because I have an ARB front bumper with winch and steel cable, which adds around 200+lbs to the front of the truck. The springs were recommended to me by both the dealer and the ARB/OME site. I also contacted both OME and the retailer and both were baffled that the 2886 springs sounded way too stiff.

From reading other threads I have discovered I should replace my UCAs but I don't feel like that would soften or damped the massive "slam" I experience, but I am still going to replace them.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks fellas.

2. Sep 16, 2013 at 8:37 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Over speed bump goes clank

3. Sep 17, 2013 at 3:36 AM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    Is that a question or a statement OZ? lol

Op, Are you hearing them "slam" or feeling it? I have the 885s and don't notice it. If you're hearing something....it may be your sway bar hitting the coils. Do you have the sway bar relocate kit installed?

4. Sep 17, 2013 at 4:00 AM
    BassMaster06

BassMaster06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab V6 4x4
    Mods: sand, dog hair, roof rust
    Look at your sway bar around the coils to see if there are any skuffs or damage. Ive experienced this a couple times since I put my lift on. Sway bars coming off this weekend and im looking into the relocate kit

5. Sep 17, 2013 at 4:10 AM
    JohnnyWayne

JohnnyWayne The Past Through Tomorrow

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Lantana, FL
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB TRD Sport
    Look out for snakes in the grass guerrilla marketing.
  6. Sep 17, 2013 at 4:31 AM
    offroadwonder

offroadwonder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    Chopped mud-flaps (yup, I'm hardcore)
    I'd be interested in public opinion here also. I have a 2010 TRD OR DCSB lifted via full OME suspension that is doing the exact same thing. It is running 885 springs and light racing upper control arms. I removed the sway bar. So far it is a complete mystery.

7. Sep 17, 2013 at 8:40 AM
    ExpeditionArctic

Member:
    First Name:
    Vincent
    Penn Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 DBSB 4x4 TRD OR
    ARB Front bumper with winch, undercarriage armor. 3" OME front suspension lift and custom Deaver rear leaf springs w/ 3" inch lift. BajaRack Utility rack and Softopper bed shell.

I am both feeling and hearing the slam. I haven't relocated the sway bar, but I'll check to see if I can see any scuff marks.

More info: The "slam" happens at any speed. Even if i'm going 3 mph over a speed bump. Any off pavement driving feels incredibly stiff.

8. Sep 17, 2013 at 8:41 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
  9. Sep 17, 2013 at 8:42 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I think the shock tops out somewhat violently , that is my theory , quite a bit of discussion about this previously

10. Sep 17, 2013 at 8:45 AM
    ExpeditionArctic

Member:
    First Name:
    Vincent
    Penn Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 DBSB 4x4 TRD OR
    Does your suspension feel very stiff? I've got the 220+ lbs hanging off the front end and the front suspension feels stiff as hell with the 886. Almost as if the springs are too strong, yet they are what everyone recommends with my set up.

11. Sep 17, 2013 at 8:47 AM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
    UCA might be hitting coils on the way down (extending) my truck does that but i dont have every thing you have just 5100's and OME 884's

12. Sep 17, 2013 at 8:49 AM
    ExpeditionArctic

Member:
    First Name:
    Vincent
    Penn Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 DBSB 4x4 TRD OR
    That is exactly what it feels like. Not a lose part or something hitting something else, but the shock fully extending way too fast. Is this normal for the OMEs?

13. Sep 17, 2013 at 8:52 AM
    ExpeditionArctic

Member:
    First Name:
    Vincent
    Penn Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 DBSB 4x4 TRD OR
    When I feel/hear the "slam", the entire truck literally shakes...

14. Sep 17, 2013 at 4:54 PM
    RadRed06

RadRed06 Christ Follower

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Flowood, MS
    Vehicle:
    '12 Pyrite 4x4 OR
    Lifted on 33s
    I have 885s and LR UCAs and mine does the same thing. Any sudden drop and it feels like the shock extending really fast

15. Sep 17, 2013 at 5:48 PM
    offroadwonder

offroadwonder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    Chopped mud-flaps (yup, I'm hardcore)
    It is definitely stiffer than stock, but I expected that. They are 885s with no additional weight. I have investigated everything in the suspension that I can find. I have cycled the suspension from full droop to full compression, and there is no binding anywhere that I can find. The sound definitely seems to be the suspension topping-out violently.

I am curious if other OME guys are experiencing the same thing, or if there might be something wrong with the rebound valving on a select few sets of shocks. So far I am not seeing many people responding saying that they hear the same thing (I think I count 3 people so far).

16. Sep 17, 2013 at 6:17 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Lots of other OME guys have complained about the Over Speed Bump Goes Clank but it's spread out over many threads

My 885's / Nitrochargers do it

17. Sep 17, 2013 at 6:46 PM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    Guess I'm lucky....mine don't do it.

18. Sep 17, 2013 at 8:21 PM
    younglexx

younglexx Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    4x4 DC TRD Off Road
    I have 885's w/nitro chargers and had the clank bad with out the sway bar, I put the sway bar back on and its barely noticeable now.

19. Sep 18, 2013 at 10:02 AM
    ExpeditionArctic

Member:
    First Name:
    Vincent
    Penn Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 DBSB 4x4 TRD OR
    I have the sway bars in. I've checked the UCAs, sway bars, and coils for scuffs and scratches and I came up empty. It isnt hitting anything. I'm believing that the noise I'm hearing is the shock topping out too violently.

20. Sep 18, 2013 at 12:21 PM
    younglexx

younglexx Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    4x4 DC TRD Off Road
    It is the shock topping out. For me the sway bar acts like limiting straps and keeps it from topping out. Also make sure the top nut on the shock isn't too tight because that makes the stroke shorter

Products Discussed in

To Top